Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

shelf life of k-cups for taste and spoil?

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

shelf life of k-cups for taste and spoil?

Postby boberang » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:54 pm

Anyone know what the shelf life is of k-cups? I imagine they never spoil (or at least not for many years), but what about taste quality?

Coffee purists who only drink coffee freshly ground in front of them from the freshest beans may not even consider a k-cup that has been sitting in a wharehouse before it even gets to the store, but any thoughts on timeframe before taste starts to go bad?

2 months? 6 months? 1 year?
boberang

Hmm..

Postby ScotchandCoffee » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:22 pm

All my K-Cups have a use by date printed on them.

I think we've also had this discussion before but maybe CoffeeWhiz or the new GMCR guy could shed some light on this....
Tell Van Houtte-let their coffee be sold @ CoffeeWhiz:
http://www.vanhoutte.com/us_en/contact_us/
Tell GMCR-make Coconut a regular coffee!:
http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/ContactUs.aspx
ScotchandCoffee

Postby coffeewiz » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:51 pm

They use "best" or "use" by dates .. The coffee doesn't spoil as milk would .. it suggests that you will enjoy the best possible flavor from that cup of coffee if consumed on or before the date listed on the k-cup.
Jim
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Re: shelf life of k-cups for taste and spoil?

Postby WattsM » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:26 pm

boberang wrote:Coffee purists who only drink coffee freshly ground in front of them from the freshest beans may not even consider a k-cup that has been sitting in a warehouse before it even gets to the store...

Hey, that's me! Not only do I always buy whole bean, grind right before brewing and try to use the beans within a month or so of roasting, I've even roasted beans myself. And, this is actually why I like the K-cup system -- their technology appears to keep the coffee surprisingly fresh, and while I'm not 100% sure, from my dissection of one cup it looks like they're even using better-than-average filter paper, more like Chemex than Mr. Coffee.

I remember coming across a review from Kenneth Davids, a coffee guru, comparing a few single-serve systems. He liked Keurig more than the pods, too, but noted that he had some coffees that were past the "best by" date that were still fine, and a couple that were before it that seemed to have gone stale. Some of the coffees I've tried that I haven't been impressed with I may have to try again down the road on the chance that I just got a poor batch (or in some cases, a poor single cup!).
Keurig B40
Senseo (retired)
French press, vacuum pot, one-cup filter brewer (low-tech single serve coffee!)
WattsM

Postby boberang » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:26 pm

I just spotted the use by/ fresh by date in a store last night....having only tried the samler pack and not getting a chance to look in a store till last night didn't know they had those dates on there. Glad they do!!!

Lets see, went overboard and ordered something like 11 boxes online this weekend, plus the 4 I purchased locally. Most that I got locally had dates in June so that gives me 8 months. Roughly 300 k-cups in 240 days....yikes, maybe I overdid it a little. Guess I will use the 5 oz setting to make it so it is only 150 mugs of coffee. ;-)

That or try to get my wife to drink some. :-)
boberang

Postby wdh1 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:24 pm

Per Keurig's website, shelf life is 6 month minimum. It also states that the cups are nitrogen packed, so I expect that they would remain "good" for even longer.

Dave
wdh1

Dates

Postby ScotchandCoffee » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:48 pm

Expiration dates are usually on the individual k-cup as well, but with some brands they print the date in the same color as the K-cup.

I believe TIMOTHY's actually imprints it like a credit card. GMCR has usually put the use by date in white on the white Kcup, although they've gotten better recently.
Tell Van Houtte-let their coffee be sold @ CoffeeWhiz:
http://www.vanhoutte.com/us_en/contact_us/
Tell GMCR-make Coconut a regular coffee!:
http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/ContactUs.aspx
ScotchandCoffee

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews