Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Bunn VS Keurig

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Bunn VS Keurig

Postby norman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:49 am

Hi,
I am a newbie what are the pro's and con's of each.

I cannot make up my mind. Keurig 60 vs. Bunn

I use an 8 to 9 oz mug. I like my coffee on the strong side.

K pods vs. pods? Are larger pods available for 9oz mugs. or is regular size pod big enough?

Help me make up my mind.

Norman
norman

Postby MichFan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:21 am

Norman, if you read through some of the older topics on this board you will find a lot of discussion on this. I think the general consensus has been that both make a great cup of coffee. The Bunn can make a stronger/thicker mouthfeel cup of coffee, while the Keurig's KCup format is a more convenient/cleaner way to brew single serve. I have only had coffee from a Keurig and a Senseo (Douwe Egberts pods -- blech!). In my case the consistent quality and convenience of the KCup format was more important than having a stronger cup of coffee.
MichFan

Postby NDJollyMon » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:01 am

There are plenty of people on the forum to help you with this...as they own both machines. I do not. I like my KEURIG machine and the K-cups in general. Tough choice.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby mitchgtz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:05 am

I have a Keurig B50 and a Bunn sitting next to each other and they both get regular use.

While the options for stronger coffee seem to favor the Bunn at larger sizes, The Keurig has a lot of options and Van Houtte Kenya and Eclipse are really nice as far as body goes.

Honestly you would be happier with either (or both for that matter :wink: ).

Cheers,
Mitch
HotTop KN-8828P Roaster • Grindmaster OPOD • Keurig B50 • Tassimo • Senseo • Melita One:One • Rancilio Silvia & Rancilio Rocky • iRoast 2 •  Bunn My Cafe • Bodum Chambord • Simplehuman • Gene Cafe Roaster • Bodum Santos Vac Pot • Aeropress
mitchgtz

Postby Alice2 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 am

If you lean towards stronger coffee I would lean towards recommending the Bunn. The Keurig has some strong K-Cups (i.e., "extra bold") but for me, all the extra bold K-Cups are dark roasts which I despise, however if you prefer dark roasts the Keurig might be perfect for you.

(I disqualify myself as an expert on this -- I have NOT tried **all** the extra-bold K-Cups in the universe!)

The Bunn will give you a lot more flexibility with choice and strength.

My story is I never meant to buy ***both*** the Keurig and the Bunn! It was a learning experience. But today I am very happy with my Bunn at home and my Keurig at work, and both are now getting plenty of use.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Re: Bunn VS Keurig

Postby jtapscot » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:27 pm

norman wrote:Hi,
Are larger pods available for 9oz mugs. or is regular size pod big enough?

I brew most pods at the eight ounce setting on the Bunn. With Baronet monster pods I brew a good ten ounce cup.
James............
Currently own:
Bunn My Cafe (Enjoyed at Home)
Senseo Pod Brewer (Relegated to Work)
Nespresso C100 (For when I need a Shot)
French Press (For Hurricanes and Outages)
Aerocino (Easiest frothed milk ever)
jtapscot

Postby The Lone Podster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:55 pm

I have a Simplehuman and a B50. For me, it's pods hands down. Better extraction, better mouthfeel, and moving forward, the advantages (hopefully) of a non-proprietary format.

The worst part about the selection process is the inability to try different brewers and coffees.
Grindmaster OPOD x2 (retired)
Freshroast Plus 8, HG/BM roaster
Behmor 1600
Bodum Brazil 12 oz. French Press
Bodum Bistro Double Wall 34 oz. French Press
Eva Solo CafeSolo, Clever Coffee Dripper
Technivorm KBT 741
Baratza Maestro Plus
The Lone Podster

Postby kupokoffee » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:26 pm

If you want is clean, quick and easy...pick a Keurig.
If you want a little better mouthfeel, and don't mind the little extra mess, pick a Bunn.

Having both is a great experience, but we have a Keurig on all 3 levels of our home, and only one Bunn. We use the Keurigs the most, just because my wife and I think it is easier. It is more fun to show off the Keurig to friends and family who don't have one, too :D

You can get several great coffees in the K-Cup realm, too, there are over 130 varieties of coffee and tea in K-Cups. And you can use the My K-Cup if you prefer.

As has been said, it would be great to actually go to a store and try them out before you make a purchase. If the right coffee samples were present, you could make your choice. Having said that, you can get a Keurig from Green Mountain Coffee for a 30 day trial and return, no questions asked, so you could at least give the Keurig a go with no risk.
kupokoffee

Postby Hodaka » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:01 pm

I'm not sure why everyone says Bunn has a better mouthfeel.. I have both a Keurig and a Bunn and I don't notice much of a difference between the machines on average..

Now, some kcups and pods both stand out from others in that department, but again, on average there doesn't appear to be much difference..

as for differences (IMHO of course):

Bunn: more versatile water drops, non-proprietary, more selection, generally lower cost for pods, but also a wider range of quality in pods. If you look in front of my machines, you'll see the Bunn is messier..

Keurig: smaller selection of drop sizes, proprietary format, higher cost for kcups, but somewhat easier to use and cleaner.

I love both and I'm keeping both. I like a wider selection of pods (I drink a lot of Java One pods, but I think there are many good pods.. not good enough to be regular purchases, but good nevertheless), but I'd say my top favorites are almost all X-Bold kcups (VH Eclipse, Tully's FR, Newman's Special Blend, GM Dark Magic)

there are strengths and weakneses to both.. I'm just glad I don't have to try and choose between them..sometimes the hardest part is coming home and having to choose which machine I'm going to fire up.. and at times I just get them both awake and have a cup from each. :)
own:
* Nespresso C100 (primary)
* Aerobie Aeropress
* Bunn My Cafe (I got this back from my dad)
* Keurig Ultra B50 (my dad has this one now..)
Hodaka

Postby Bucfanmike » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:51 pm

i really need a bunn.. i do prefer pods over k-cups. However more often than not when i only have time for 1 cup, i drink k-cups. It comes down to a time issue, and this will tell you how spoiled i am. The keurig is always on..always ready to please, the krups takes about 1 minute to heat. The tassimo sometimes up to 90 seconds. Therefore more often than not k-cups wins. Now i know i could turn the krups on before i get my mug and all.. but c'mon i'm spoiled.

the bunn is always on..always ready, yes?
Hi, Im Mike and I have an addiction...
i have tried them all and ended up with:
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Grindmaster OPOD, Toddy Cold Press, Cuisinart ss-1
and now home roasting with HG/BM method
Bucfanmike

Postby The Lone Podster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:22 pm

Bucfanmike wrote: The keurig is always on..always ready to please, the krups takes about 1 minute to heat. The tassimo sometimes up to 90 seconds.

We have a winner. Bucfanmike, a Mans Man!!!!!!!
Grindmaster OPOD x2 (retired)
Freshroast Plus 8, HG/BM roaster
Behmor 1600
Bodum Brazil 12 oz. French Press
Bodum Bistro Double Wall 34 oz. French Press
Eva Solo CafeSolo, Clever Coffee Dripper
Technivorm KBT 741
Baratza Maestro Plus
The Lone Podster

Postby NDJollyMon » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:13 pm

You guys are always bragging about your bunns! Image
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Hodaka » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:40 pm

Bucfanmike wrote:the bunn is always on..always ready, yes?

no, the bunn goes to sleep.. I think it's a pretty large period of time between sleep times though.. I think it's 6hrs..

I'd load the manual if it didn't take friggin forever on 56k

http://www.bunn.com/pdfs/commercial/man ... 9.0000.pdf
own:
* Nespresso C100 (primary)
* Aerobie Aeropress
* Bunn My Cafe (I got this back from my dad)
* Keurig Ultra B50 (my dad has this one now..)
Hodaka

Postby Maniac » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:54 pm

I have the Simplehuman and the Keurig B40. I used pods first as I have an ese pod machine, seemed logical to me. Then I found this site, decided to buy the Keurig to see what everyone was talking about and to see if I could taste any difference. There definately is a difference, but it is different to everyone. I prefer a Keurig. I just think the coffee tastes better. People are different and so are tastes. I for one am glad that there are so many ways to make coffee on the market. Otherwise, what would we have to talk about.....
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines