Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

difference between "latte" milk & "cappuc

Review Tassimo T Discs here

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

difference between "latte" milk & "cappuc

Postby sigh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 am

Anyone know if there is one? It certainly tastes like there is as the cappuccino doesn't taste nearly as parmalat-ty as the latte does (in addition to frothing up so much nicer, too). I used the exact same espresso for both. The ingredients listed on the outside of the packaging are the same for both the latte & the cap, though I think the cap has a few less calories and so maybe less sugar?

Whatever the reason I found the Tassimo's cappuccino to be delightful and I honestly am not the hugest fan of cappuccino. I take my coffee without any sort of sweetener and so found the slight sweetness of the lattes unsettling but I don't get any of that with the cappuccino.

I'm currently loving this machine.

Nina
sigh

Postby coffeewiz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:49 am

Hi Nina.. yes.. the Latte is a little sweeter than the Cappuccino according to Kraft. They make the Latte milk with a little bit dofferent tast profile then the cappuccino....

Jim
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby Bucfanmike » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:53 am

I thought i detected more sweetness in the latte milk than the cap. I decided to experiment the other day, so this is what i did. i carefully removed the foil (the bar code part) from a used latte milk. i taped the barcode over the the one on a cap milk. The result was no perceivable taste difference when the cap milk was made as latte milk by fooling the machine.
Hi, Im Mike and I have an addiction...
i have tried them all and ended up with:
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Grindmaster OPOD, Toddy Cold Press, Cuisinart ss-1
and now home roasting with HG/BM method
Bucfanmike

Postby sigh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:12 am

Bucfanmike wrote:I thought i detected more sweetness in the latte milk than the cap. I decided to experiment the other day, so this is what i did. i carefully removed the foil (the bar code part) from a used latte milk. i taped the barcode over the the one on a cap milk. The result was no perceivable taste difference when the cap milk was made as latte milk by fooling the machine.

Wow, Mike, is that what happens when you sit up all night drinking coffee:D . Seriously, that was very clever and I wonder if it would work vice versa? Maybe the extra frothing that happens with the cappuccino milk helps to dissipate some of the sweetness. Though that seems to make no sense, especially in light of Jim's comment.

Somehow I knew that I was only a few steps away from trying to outsmart my Tassimo machine...

Nina
sigh

Postby Bucfanmike » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:49 pm

sigh wrote:
Bucfanmike wrote:I thought i detected more sweetness in the latte milk than the cap. I decided to experiment the other day, so this is what i did. i carefully removed the foil (the bar code part) from a used latte milk. i taped the barcode over the the one on a cap milk. The result was no perceivable taste difference when the cap milk was made as latte milk by fooling the machine.

Wow, Mike, is that what happens when you sit up all night drinking coffee:D . Seriously, that was very clever and I wonder if it would work vice versa? Maybe the extra frothing that happens with the cappuccino milk helps to dissipate some of the sweetness. Though that seems to make no sense, especially in light of Jim's comment.

Somehow I knew that I was only a few steps away from trying to outsmart my Tassimo machine...

Nina

Theres no point in hiding it, im a coffee nerd :?
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Bucfanmike

Postby tassimofan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Y'all are cracking me up!

I prefer the capp as well. At first I really liked the latte (heck, before the Tassimo I didn't even know I LIKED coffee- nearly 40 years & never had a cup!), but it was here & I thought why not? Then I tried the cappucino & I really like the frothiness of the milk. I admit I would not have thought of swapping bar codes; heck, I tried to remove the foil to recycle the disks when we first got the machine & gave up on that really quickly- what'd you use? An exacto to peal that up? :)
tassimofan

Postby Bucfanmike » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:01 pm

i just used a small kitchen knife to cut around the bar code, cleaned it under the faucet and applied a bit of scotch tape across the front of it. Stick it over the other disc and it worked great. I only tried a small bit cuz it was for my wife and she uses vanilla in hers. So I can't honestly say how much difference there was in the sweetness. ( i did try it befoe she added the vanilla syrup). It was done in desperation at the time cuz she wanted a latte and we only had cap milks. Necessity truly is the mother of invention.

Makes me wonder what would happen with a gevalia coffee if it was brewed differently.

Hmm.. im off work today, think i figured out what im gonna do :D
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Bucfanmike

Postby tassimofan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:57 pm

Well, let us know how the experimentation goes bucfan... I'm truly intrigued by your ingenuity. You could have a whole little Tassimo science fair going on at your house! :wink:
tassimofan

Postby sigh » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:13 am

Well since I'm impatient by nature I tried using the barcode from the cappuccino milk disc on a latte milk disk. The result? While the latte disc did froth like the cappuccino milk it still tasted overly parmalat-ty. So I'll be ordering strictly cappuccino for myself from now on & saving the latte for company. To my tastebuds the cappuccino milk tastes more "real", less fake and all yummy :D .

Nina
sigh

Postby wolfisms » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm a latte fan, but with my Tassimo I do prefer the cappuccino much more. Same reasons... That "strange" milk taste.

I keep the latte milk discs for my daughter to use with her Hot Chocolate. Or make a Mocha with the 2 disc latte combo and one Hot Choc disc.

Now Mike's experiment with the barcode was creative...LOL. Dunno if I would've thought of that.

Debbie
wolfisms

Return to T Discs and T Disc Reviews