Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

What does everyone store their coffee in?

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

What does everyone store their coffee in?

Postby rph123 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:46 pm

What does everyone store their coffee in after they grind it? I know ideally you should only grind what you want to use, but that's not very practical for using at work. I was thinking about grinding around a weeks worth of coffee to take to work. Will any kind of air tight container work?

thanks!
rph123

Re: What does everyone store their coffee in?

Postby VydorScope » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:33 pm

rph123 wrote:What does everyone store their coffee in after they grind it? I know ideally you should only grind what you want to use, but that's not very practical for using at work. I was thinking about grinding around a weeks worth of coffee to take to work. Will any kind of air tight container work?

thanks!

My stomach of course!

Ok - more seriously - I use plastic airtight containers. No idea if that is stupid, but is cheap and easy. :)
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby bogiesan » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:41 am

Suggest you check home-barista.com or coffee geek.com for thorough discussions on the topic of storing coffee as whole beans and after they've been ground. Coffee loses everything that makes it coffee in a few hours after grinding. Unless certain storage parameters are met. But open the container once and the essence is lost. You simply cannot store a week's worth of coffee in a single container; each does will be worse than the previous but that last dose will be the awfulest. Use two or three or five individual containers.
bogiesan

Postby jbviau » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:44 pm

^^^ Have to agree with bogie above. I've had good experiences pre-grinding small amounts into individual Ball jars and then sealing. Open a jar the next morning (or whenever), use everything in it, and you're probably fine.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby carollovescoffee » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:17 am

I use Mason Jars and don't put it fridge as I only grind about two or three days worth.
carollovescoffee

Postby bogiesan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 am

If you put one day's worth of coffee in each jar, that's a credible solution. You can keep them in the fridge if you want to since they're airtight. The problem with jars, though, like all storage attempts for ground coffee, is that there is nothing you can do to stop the deterioration of the cellular material and the loss of air-solubles once the cells of the seeds have been ruptured. The difference between freshly roasted coffee ground a few seconds ago and freshly roasted coffee ground yesterday is easily perceived.
Those are the physical and chemical facts. But they need not interfere with yoru enjoyment of your coffee. There was a time when I would have found your practice of pre-grinding disturbing but that time has passed.
bogiesan

Postby MrJavaCupOfJoe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:15 am

bogiesan wrote: The difference between freshly roasted coffee ground a few seconds ago and freshly roasted coffee ground yesterday is easily perceived.
Those are the physical and chemical facts. But they need not interfere with yoru enjoyment of your coffee. There was a time when I would have found your practice of pre-grinding disturbing but that time has passed.

Pre-grinding 24 hours before brewing, with a quality burr grinder= great coffee.

Grinding fresh with a blade grinder (dust and boulders) ground just seconds before brewing= not as good coffee.

That was what I had found out with experimenting.. However, now I just use single serve machines, much easier :wink:
Single serve coffee makers I own: Keurig Mini, Starbucks Verismo, AeroPress, Martello espresso maker
My coffee blog: http://www.hotorcoldcoffee.wordpress.com
MrJavaCupOfJoe

Postby stephan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Grind it before consumption. In this way the coffee taste is better. Before that it can be stored in special coffee bean containers
stephan

Postby iamavapollard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:36 am

Plastic airtight containers of-course.. :) :)
My name is Ava Pollard and I am the sole writer for Java Times Caffe where I review various tea and related products :)
iamavapollard

Postby NDJollyMon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Anything air tight and extra points if light can't pass through it.
How about one of those vacuum sealed jars? The ones that you can remove the air from? Air is the real enemy.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby iamavapollard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Keeping coffee beans in Vacuum sealed jars can be good idea. But if one wants to prolong its freshness, FREEZING FRESH WHOLE BEANS in the bad will be best option. I will keep the freshness intact but be sure that you do not take out the frozen beans every day.
My name is Ava Pollard and I am the sole writer for Java Times Caffe where I review various tea and related products :)
iamavapollard

Postby thefundu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:49 am

Vacuum packed containers are the best f course, but don't store these containers in the refrigerator as the aroma gets mixed up in other things resulting in a strange cup of coffee.
thefundu

Postby Bonenfant » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 am

iamavapollard wrote:Keeping coffee beans in Vacuum sealed jars can be good idea. But if one wants to prolong its freshness, FREEZING FRESH WHOLE BEANS in the bad will be best option. I will keep the freshness intact but be sure that you do not take out the frozen beans every day.

I had no idea freezing would be a good idea. I guess it makes sense. I store mine in plastic containers like many others.
Bonenfant

Return to Coffee Talk