Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Super Automatic espresso machine under $1500

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Super Automatic espresso machine under $1500

Postby Azureo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi guys,

I was hoping you can give me a hand with picking the right super automated espresso machine. The budget is under $1500 Canadian (I live in Canada). I was looking by myself for a while to find the right one, but it is just overwhelming looking for something you know not enough about. I’m looking for something simple, that I can use fast at 6am and not to worry about foaming the milk right. Something what can make a good espresso, latte, and cappuccino. I found these 2 machines, and I read some good reviews about them, but would appreciate a second opinion and would take any other suggestions. Thank you guys!

Delonghi Eletta Cappuccino Top Machine ECAM45760B
https://www.linenchest.com/en/delonghi- ... o-top.html

Perfecta Espresso and Cappuccino Machine in Silver by Delonghi ESAM5600SL
https://www.linenchest.com/en/delperfect.html
Azureo

Re: Super Automatic espresso machine under $1500

Postby rhfil » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:17 am

That is a huge deal on the Eletta. I have never used either of those machines but did get to use a commercial DeLonghi in a hotel and it was great. But all it did was grind and brew without makingI milk. If I did not already have too many coffee making products I would order that Eletta.
rhfil

Postby Azureo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm

rhfil wrote:That is a huge deal on the Eletta. I have never used either of those machines but did get to use a commercial DeLonghi in a hotel and it was great. But all it did was grind and brew without makingI milk. If I did not already have too many coffee making products I would order that Eletta.

Thanks rhfil. I’m considering both, but thinking of getting the other one. Hopefully it does the job.
Azureo

Postby bogiesan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:14 am

Not,really our area,of knowledge around here. Single serve.
Try researching the genre of systems listed at home-barista.com and coffegeek.com

Super automatics run from less than US$400to well over $3000. I’d suggest the Nespresso Creatista.
bogiesan

Postby Azureo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:48 am

bogiesan wrote:Not,really our area,of knowledge around here. Single serve.
Try researching the genre of systems listed at home-barista.com and coffegeek.com

Super automatics run from less than US$400to well over $3000. I’d suggest the Nespresso Creatista.

Thank you Sir!
Azureo

Postby rhfil » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:49 am

I thought you had already decided but if you have not and it is still between the two DeLonghi machines you might want to check out the ratings of them on Amazon U.S. It appears that the Perfecta is older and might have problems. If there is a local Linen Chest near you it might be a good idea to go check them out. I own the Nespresso Creatista and it is a great machine but you are stuck to using pods.
rhfil

Postby Azureo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:54 pm

rhfil wrote:I thought you had already decided but if you have not and it is still between the two DeLonghi machines you might want to check out the ratings of them on Amazon U.S. It appears that the Perfecta is older and might have problems. If there is a local Linen Chest near you it might be a good idea to go check them out. I own the Nespresso Creatista and it is a great machine but you are stuck to using pods.

I did buy the Perfecta one. The machine makes a decent coffee, but the issue is that it can’t produce hot milk drinks. When I make latte, or cappuccino the drink will be at most warm and it has to be microwaved for 15 seconds. I will be returning and starting looking for something else. I can’t justify spending $1,400 before taxes on something what does not do the job. I really appreciate all your help!
Azureo

Postby bogiesan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am

Delonghi is only one of many mfrs. Try researching Jura and Breville/Sage.
bogiesan

Postby DrMoze » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 pm

I've been heavily researching this very topic, and have decided on the Gaggia Anima Prestige. About US $850. 1-touch for 4 main drinks, all reviews say it works great, pretty easy maintenance, nice pop-in milk carafe, good level of basic adjustments and then simple operation once the settings are dialed in. I found no real negatives to this machine. https://www.wholelattelove.com/gaggia-a ... so-machine

Decided to pass on the Nespresso. Good-tasting coffee but I don't want to be handcuffed to plastic pods. And last I checked, espresso machines (super-automatics and others) are single-serve, for sure. :wink:
DrMoze

Postby DrMoze » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:33 pm

P.S> You can also use the code SUPER75 for $75 off your order. It worked today; not sure how long it will last. Anima Prestige plus free coffee and decalcifier added up to under US$800, shipped. (Shipping to Canada might be an added charge.)
DrMoze

Postby rhfil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Check the Amazon customer ratings on this machine. Not great. I think milk temperature is always an issue. In order to get mu cappuccino's warmer I fill the cup with water, nuke it, and then throw the water out. One feature of the Eletta I found attractive is a cup warming plate.
rhfil

Postby bogiesan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 am

DrMoze wrote:I've been heavily researching this very topic, and have decided on the Gaggia Anima Prestige. About US $850. 1-touch for 4 main drinks, all reviews say it works great, pretty easy maintenance, nice pop-in milk carafe, good level of basic adjustments and then simple operation once the settings are dialed in. I found no real negatives to this machine. https://www.wholelattelove.com/gaggia-a ... so-machine
Decided to pass on the Nespresso. Good-tasting coffee but I don't want to be handcuffed to plastic pods. And last I checked, espresso machines (super-automatics and others) are single-serve, for sure. :wink:

The consensus of the moderators who created the forum deliberately left superautomatics out of the running because they are modified espresso machines with bean hoppers. Single serve is defined as using a capsule, filter pack, or pod that is used once and discarded. I’m glad you found a Gaggia you like but your most helpful research did not come from this forum for a good reason.

Nespresso does not make nor sell plastic capsules, they are made of 100% recyclable aluminum. You apparently are confusing Nespresso with another type of system.
bogiesan

Postby DrMoze » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Fair enough. I have admittedly not been around the forum much recently, and was unaware of the distinction. As for the Nespressos, they are still proprietary (and wasteful, IMO) pods of whatever material, that I would rather not be beholden to. Thus my 3 main single-servers are the Senseo, Aeropress, and soon-to-arrive Gaggia Anima. Can use my choice of freshly-ground beans in all 3.
DrMoze

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines