Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Nespresso model that produces the least amount of crema/foam

Review Nespresso, Dolce Gusto, Lavazza, CBTL, and other espresso capsules here

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Nespresso model that produces the least amount of crema/foam

Postby kevisazombie » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 pm

I like to drink espresso by the shot in a small cup with a glass of sparkling water. I have previously used Nespresso machines at corporate offices. I was very excited when my girlfriend recently purchased a Nespresso VertuoLine model.

My excitement faded when I brewed my first shot. Half the cup was foam/crema. I'd rather drink espresso than eat foam. I have used it several times since with the same result. It takes a spoon to clear out and wastes half the pour. Unfortunately, this is advertised as a feature of the VirtuoLine https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/vertuo- ... rtuo-crema

My previous experiences were with Nespresso machines that used the smaller model capsules. This VertuoLine model uses larger dome-shaped capsules which I believe are designed to produce the extra foam.
kevisazombie

Re: Nespresso model that produces the least amount of crema/

Postby bogiesan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Yes, the crema production is a feature of the Vertuo. More an artifact of the extraction technology. It is not a fault. Nor it particularly wasteful. The foam dissipates quickly. Crema holds much of the volatiles in well- brewed coffee. I do not think you will find any negative observations about the setup brewing output. You might visit home-barista.com and coffeegeek.com to review how crema is produced, what to smell in crema, why it is generally considered a good thing--the signature of a satisfactory extraction.
bogiesan

Return to Espresso Capsules and Capsule Reviews