Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New Senseo, thin as water coffee

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

New Senseo, thin as water coffee

Postby Morty_NO » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:21 am

Dear all,

Well, the title pretty much says it all. :evil: Am I missing something super-obvious; what might be the cause of this?

I just bought a brand new Philips Senseo Viva Café. Took it home, and ran a cleanse cycle with a liter of water, as the "getting started guide" said.

Tried to make 5 cups of coffee. Turned on the machine, waited for the power to stop blinking, ran a single cup with original Senseo pads, using the single cup holder. Some cups were with "Senseo Brazil" and some with "Senseo Strong", a darker roast. They all tasted like lightly colored water ... very thin, not at all like coffee.

I notice that compared to my previous machine, a Nescafe Dolche Gusto, the Senseo makes a cup maybe 2/3 faster. Is this always so with Senseo's, are they supposed to be that fast?

Tips, ideas? What might I do wrong, as the greater fool who managed to overcome the foolproof system? :mrgreen:
Morty_NO

Re: New Senseo, thin as water coffee

Postby Morty_NO » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Caine wrote:Try using two pods for one cup of coffee.

Wow -- that suggestion kind of blows my mind. I would never have thought that Philips would release a product with this "feature" built in. I'll try it, and report back. :roll:
Morty_NO

Re: New Senseo, thin as water coffee

Postby Morty_NO » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 pm

@Caine: You are correct of course -- my machine did come with the two-pod holder in the box.

But I'm still surprised how thin the default one pod, one cup of coffee setting is. With two pods per cup it works for me, but I would still not consider the Senseo 'filtered' coffees I have tried as good as what I'm used to from Nespresso and Dolce Gusto machines.

In time, when I have tried more pods and found some favorites, I might warm to my Senseo. As it stands right now I'm keeping it, but still preferring the Dolce Gusto americano.

Thank you very much for your help. :)
Morty_NO

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines