Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Dunkin Doughnut or Starbucks????

Reviews and information on good 'ol beans and grinds

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Dunkin Doughnut or Starbucks????

Postby Jamie33 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:42 am

Personally I don't really care for either of these coffees. I have a love for dark oily coffee beans that I can grind myself, rich and dark. Unfortunately lately my budget allows only the cheapest of brands in my house these days. I would love to hear anyone's favorite inexpensive brands of coffee so i can do something different. Anyway, I'm a part of a pole on what most people prefer, Dunkin' Doughnut or Starbucks Coffee? I would love if you would particapate and go ...
http://www.ndemandtrax.com/click.track? ... 16129&SID=
No presure, you can always just repond to me and have a conversation. I'm new to this site.Thanks all!
Jamie33
Jamie33

Re: Dunkin Doughnut or Starbucks????

Postby MarkShark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:02 pm

If you are near a Trader Joe's they have some good whole bean coffee that's pretty inexpensive. I'm partial to their "Ultra dark French Roast", "Ultra dark Sumatra" and the Kenya AA Medium roasts. At $5.99 for a 12 oz can they're pretty budget friendly.
-Mark
Bodum Original French Press, Bodum Burr Grinder, Bunn MyCafe Home, Broken Keurig B60, Bodum Solo Drip (Low Tech), Keurig Mini.
MarkShark

Postby jar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:25 pm

No DD anywhere near me but I would certainly go there if possible. Can't think of a single reason to go to a Starbucks though.
My Sister's website: Rose Hill Studio
My Website
jar

Postby MrJavaCupOfJoe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Personally Id go with Starbucks Pike Place over Dunkin' Original. McDonalds McCafe is really good too, if you like medium-dark roasts, and is relatively cheap.
Single serve coffee makers I own: Keurig Mini, Starbucks Verismo, AeroPress, Martello espresso maker
My coffee blog: http://www.hotorcoldcoffee.wordpress.com
MrJavaCupOfJoe

Postby bogiesan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:42 pm

If budet is your primary factor, you must eliminate Stabucks. Starbies coffees are $12-16/pound.Tha's not cheap coffee. Locally roasted beans, meeting your desire for full city-style, dark and oily, should be $9-16/pound depending on origins and quality and farming styles and your local price tolerance. Supporting your local roaster is definitely good karma that will reward you on the wheel.
There are literally thousands of bags of inexpensive coffees, whole bean and preground, that will satisify your budget requirement and that are tasty, if not fresh. The trend to package in 12 oz bags was a simple price hike, almost invisible to the consumer. At $6.00 for 12 oz, that's $0.50 per ounce or $8.00/pound. That's not cheap coffee. Cheap coffee is $4.00 to $6.00/pound. Not difficult to find. You may be buying 5-8 pounds at a time, though. You could freeze the excess is separate 1# airtight bags (the freezing pro/con discussion is irrelevant since economy is the only factor here). Costco, for instance, has several different and huge bags of relatively inexpensive coffees that you could buy in bulk and enjor for many months between visits by just opening your freezer.
bogiesan

Postby MrJavaCupOfJoe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:50 pm

bogiesan wrote: You may be buying 5-8 pounds at a time, though. You could freeze the excess is separate 1# airtight bags (the freezing pro/con discussion is irrelevant since economy is the only factor here). Costco, for instance, has several different and huge bags of relatively inexpensive coffees that you could buy in bulk and enjor for many months between visits by just opening your freezer.

I personally dont have the room to store 5 to 8 pounds of freshly roasted artisan coffee in my freezer. It just seems like more trouble than its worth, but thats just me...
Single serve coffee makers I own: Keurig Mini, Starbucks Verismo, AeroPress, Martello espresso maker
My coffee blog: http://www.hotorcoldcoffee.wordpress.com
MrJavaCupOfJoe

Postby stephan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:34 pm

I also prefer Starbucks coffee. Got used to its taste now I do not want to stop :)
stephan

Postby NolanNight » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Definitely Starbucks. Duncan Doughnuts just tastes a bit off and sometimes I can get the best cup of Starbucks.

What about Starbucks vs. Coffee Bean?
NolanNight

Postby coffeeselleruk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:39 am

hmmmm starbucks for me :) i cant escape them frappuccinos
coffeeselleruk

Postby thcstephen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Being from New England, I have to say Dunks. I don't drink coffee much from coffee shops anymore but I still go to Dunks every so often for old times' sake. :P
thcstephen

Postby melisandegosselin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:35 pm

In prefer buying premium-quality coffee beans online and preparing it by myself and enjoying it in my comfortable surrounding. Does any one here support my idea?
But if i have choose i will go with Starbucks.
melisandegosselin

Postby gicohen3431 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Like Melisandegosselin, I believe in the bean to cup relaxed at home approach, although some of the single cup pods (not kcups) are great if you are in a hurry.

It has been difficult for me to get a decent Dunkin cup no matter how, so will defer to those tasters.

Recently had the SBUX "STARBUCKS RESERVE® BRAZIL SAMAMBAIA PEABERRY" at a store brewed in the Clover machine (emulates French Press). It was Outstanding. I'm not sure the exact reason (maybe some help here) but the Clover seems to consistently offer a really SMOOTH cup leaving room to taste the coffees.

Whatever your method, ENJOY!

Gary
gicohen3431

Return to Other Coffee Reviews