Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Plastic taste to my coffee - new Keurig Platinum

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Plastic taste to my coffee - new Keurig Platinum

Postby atravellersp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:36 pm

I seem to recall reading somewhere in here, but can't find it, a tip for dealing with a slightly plastic taste when first starting to use the Keurig Platinum. I'm sure the taste is temporary and its just because the maker is brand new. Has anyone had this problem and can anyone make a recommend to get rid of this taste. Thanks!
atravellersp

Postby NDJollyMon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Welcome...just run some vinegar cycles through the machine...then flush with water.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

RE: Vinegar tip

Postby atravellersp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, that makes sense. One quesiton, so should I put vinegar right in the water dispense, run it through a few times (and how much you think?) and then just runa bunch of water, I assume after that?

Thanks,
Stacey
atravellersp

Postby NDJollyMon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Keurig CS told me just run straight vinegar in the water tank. I think I ran about 1/4 -1/2 tank of it. I let it sit in the brewer for awhile too.

After the flush, the plastic taste/odor was gone.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Thanks so much for the tips

Postby atravellersp » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 pm

These are great tips. I don't have enough vinegar in the house to do that full flush, but am going to hit the market this week and pick some up. In the meantime, I used what I had and rinsed the water dispenser and the little plastic cup holder in vinegar and that helped a lot. I will still probably do a proper flush, as there's a minor amt. of plastic taste still. Thanks again. BTW: aside from this, coffee maker is great. Fast, hot and the new platinum one, the slight update from the B70 is super quiet.
atravellersp

Postby NDJollyMon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:24 pm

I have 4 different Keurig machines.
Only the B60 had the plastic taste/smell.
The vinegar trick worked very well.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Funny taste in Platinum model

Postby cangelini » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:38 am

I just received the new Platinum model as a gift. Immediately started using it...like the bold and stronger blends. Did NOT notice a plastic taste at all. Guess if I did I would do the vinegar flush. If that didn't work, would contact the company.
cangelini

Re: Plastic taste to my coffee - new Keurig Platinum

Postby trntogl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am

It amazes me after 4 years of the same problem, plastic smell with the Platinum (which I thought was the new model) it still smells like plastic that Keurig has not corrected. In addition, I am also amazed how some machines have the smell, and others don't. Luck of the draw I guess. If the vinegar doesn't work, it goes back. We are also not thrilled that the water filter does not come with the machine, considering the cost of the machine to the cost of the water filter kit to purchase. Tassimo has a water filter included with the cost of the machine, but the milk for cappuccino was left in the pod. Quite honestly, we aren't sold with these single brew machines, haven't found one that makes a good cup of coffee, or maybe we just haven't found good coffee pods. Will try the vinegar thing today and hopefully that works, because right now I don't like drinking plastic coffee.
trntogl

Postby jar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:14 am

trntogl wrote:It amazes me after 4 years of the same problem, plastic smell with the Platinum (which I thought was the new model) it still smells like plastic that Keurig has not corrected. In addition, I am also amazed how some machines have the smell, and others don't. Luck of the draw I guess. If the vinegar doesn't work, it goes back. We are also not thrilled that the water filter does not come with the machine, considering the cost of the machine to the cost of the water filter kit to purchase. Tassimo has a water filter included with the cost of the machine, but the milk for cappuccino was left in the pod. Quite honestly, we aren't sold with these single brew machines, haven't found one that makes a good cup of coffee, or maybe we just haven't found good coffee pods. Will try the vinegar thing today and hopefully that works, because right now I don't like drinking plastic coffee.

Part of the problem may be simply misunderstanding what a pod is. A K-Cup or T-Disc is NOT a pod. and the Keurig and Tassimo machines are NOT pod brewers.

But there are pods out there and there are pod machines. Right now I think the best pod brewers available are the Bunn MCP and MCA or if you can find one, a Grindmaster OPOD.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Welcome, trntogl. Maybe you're just more sensitive to this odor than others?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby cliegal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am

I just got a new Platinum through the Kohl's discount and coupon deal. The plastic taste and smell are awful. I've done a vinegar run, flushed through several tanks of water and it's still there. I'm going back to my cuisinart ss-700 which never had that smell or taste. I'm glad I didn't gift it to anyone. I'm very disappointed that Keurig hasn't addressed the issue after all these years. When I have time I'll give Keurig a call or try a few more rinses.
Breville BKC600XL
Nespresso Lattissima
Keurig K550 2.0
Bonavita BV1800TH
cliegal

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines