Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New Verismo Single-Serve Machine from Starbucks

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: New Verismo Single-Serve Machine from Starbucks - This F

Postby TomC » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:32 am

jar wrote:I have some of the capsules ordered. They should get down here in a week or so.

At over a dollar per shot they seem pretty pricy to me. But if they offer a deal on them like the $2.00 off per box they have on the k-cups I will probably try a few different ones to compare using the Kaldi. Everyone has their own opinion but, personally, I can't justify $11 for 10 shots versus less then $9 for 16 CBTL capsules at BB&B using their coupon, or under $6 per sleeve of 10 from Meinl.
I haven't found a brewed capsule for the Caffitally system I'm overly fond of yet. Consequently, I've been making Americanos for the most part with it when I want an "American type" cup if it's the Kaldi's turn at work. Maybe the Caffe Verona or another might fill that niche? Only time will tell.
At Work: Bunn MCU, CBTL Kaldi, Aeroccino 3
At Home: Bunn MCU, Nespresso D-120 Citiz with milk, Francis-Francis X-7, Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder, Perfect Pod Maker, various vintage vac pots, French presses, auto drip pots, gadgets and manual pour-overs
TomC

Re: New Verismo Single-Serve Machine from Starbucks

Postby neanderthal23 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy non-starbucks k-fee capsules in the US. Or even what website store will ship. I know they are out there, but I'm having a bit of difficulty finding them. Thanks!
neanderthal23

Postby bobbytuck » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Just bought the 580 from Surlatable -- and it shipped a few hours ago.

Will post a review here as soon it arrives.
bobbytuck

Postby jbviau » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:27 pm

^^^ Sounds good. Welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby dberkham » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 am

My review of the Starbucks Verismo 580
I purchased a Verismo 580 at SurLaTable last Friday and the clerk told me I was their first customer to buy one. He gave me a short demo and latte and went through the brewing process with me. I had been looking for a Keurig replacement machine and had been looking at the Vue for a while. I just hadn't been impressed by the lack of variety for the Vue so far and Keurig's lack of answers as to why their coffee packs that were supposed to be available were always out of stock on their own site. While the selection of Starbucks roasts was very small, I could make lattes and coffee with the Verismo. I picked up some extra milk pods, some decaf espresso pods and some house blend, along with a box of caffee latte. I went home and set it up and began drinking my lattes and coffee. The milk was very good and frothy; not artificial or lumpy although I understand dry milk is used in the pods.
The next morning I discovered that when you turn the machine on you have to run a small amount of water through the machine just to get your choices of drinks, as the three button choices won't light up until you do that initial cleansing run. A small irritation but nothing I couldn't handle and a built in way to keep the machine clean. Then the free capsules I got with the machine started falling through to the collection basket without brewing. Most irritating after you have your frothed milk and instead of getting espresso you get 1 oz of water added to your milk. Try again-pod gets crushed (sides collapse) when I put it in and close the lever. Try again-capsule falls through again. I went through the free capsules pretty fast without much enjoyment. After I went through half of my milk pods that I had purchased and experienced more fall-throughs and crushed espresso pods, I decided to take the machine back. SurLaTable was very nice and offered to give me a replacement machine and replacement pods but I've decided to wait on this for a while. Maybe I got the first one, which happened to be a lemon. I'll be interested to hear if other people experience this problem.

Good points: makes terrific lattes and brews superior coffee when it works like it should. Almost as good as a Starbucks in your home.

Bad points:Pods fall through without brewing
You must run 1 oz of water through the machine before you can brew after the machine turns itself off and cools.
Capsule collection basket accumulates leftover water and milk which is messy when dumping.
Pods sometimes collapse when you pull the lever down to brew.
Water reservoir placement in the back is not visible and there is no auto stop for the brewer when water is low. When this happens you must brew again after refilling.

Suggestions for improvement
Bar code reader on the brewer that will pickup what kind of brew to make when the pod is dropped in the machine-1 oz brew for espresso pods, 4.5 ozs for milk pods, 7 ozs for coffee pods, etc.
An auto shut off so brewer won't start if water level is low.
A low water indicator light.
More varieties of drinks available-I know the machine is just launching and this selection of pods is only their initial choices but if you are going to compete against an already crowded field, you'd better come up with more varieties.

My two cents.

David
dberkham

Postby joojoobeans » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

I picked up the 585 and so far have been very please. I have not experienced any of the capsule fallout you describe and i've got thought about 2 boxes of products already (via friends and family). The cleaning cycle is a small irritant, but if you think about it, it is for the good of the machine and taste of the beverage. The nice think about it is that it very quick. I can see you points on the barcodes, but i think to have a somewhat more personalized drink, it may not be doable (temp, ounces, etc). I also suspect starbucks likes the image of "crafting" the drink, rather than just having the machine do everything automatically...just my opinion though. In any event, too bad you had to return the unit...maybe a lemon?? I'm loving mine so far and am looking to a greater variety of drink options.
joojoobeans

Postby hotwasabipeas » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:30 pm

joojoobeans wrote:The cleaning cycle is a small irritant, but if you think about it, it is for the good of the machine and taste of the beverage. The nice think about it is that it very quick

I do that now with my Keurig and Tassimo machines. I run a small cleansing brew (with the Tassimo I use the cleaning disc) before I brew a K-Cup or T-Disc and, if you think about it, it's a great thing to do because first it gets the machine and the tubing the water/coffee runs through nice and hot and it also gets your mug/coffee cup hot too! One thing I have learned from this forum and other espresso forums is that you need everything hot in order to get the best extraction and flavor from coffee and espresso. Plus there's the added benefit of making sure the brew path is clear of leftover coffee oils from previous use.
SB Verismo 580, Tassimo T65, Keurig B70 & Vue V700, Nuova Simonelli Oscar: My website: http://www.planetwasabi.com
hotwasabipeas

Postby bobbytuck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Just got my 580 from Sur la table. My initial impression: I like it.

Some thoughts (in no particular order):

- Better espresso than Nespresso. Hand down, IMHO. Better mouthfeel, better body, and an all around better (less bitter) taste. Yes, it has the faint burnt-espresso taste of Starbucks, but it doesn't have the bitterness I associate with Nespresso pods.

- I unpacked it, ran through the cleaning, made a latte (one milk pod, one coffee pod). Very nice -- not phony tasting at all. Hot -- very hot -- out of the machine. Thumbs up.

- Then I made an espresso (used the 'espresso' pod) in a nice Illy cup. Surprisingly good. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, actually. Not like a dedicated machine (I used to own a Rancilio Silvia w/PID and an Isomac Amica w/PID) -- but for a pod machine, the Verisimo makes pretty good. It's like restaurant espresso -- not superb, but good enough to have after a meal or for a quick morning shot (or two).

- No leaking that I can see or feel.

- Pods go in -- and stay in -- fine. No issues like the previous poster had.

- It's slightly bigger than my Nespresso Citiz -- but not too much.

- Water reservoir is surprisingly small. This is my gripe, I think. I see myself refilling this pretty often -- especially when making coffees or lattes.

- I've moved the Nespresso to the basement and put the Verisimo in its place -- so -- at least for now -- it's a notch up from the Nespresso. Pods are pricey, though -- I haven't done the math yet to compare them to the Nespresso pods -- but I think this may cost more. Not sure, though.

- Overall, I give it a (surprising) thumbs up. I wasn't expecting it to make drinks that taste as good as they do. I had pretty low expectations, actually -- but I'm surprised in a good way.

I'll add a few more comments after a week or so of use ...
bobbytuck

Postby bobbytuck » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Some additional thoughts:

- Downside: it's fiddly. The idea that you have to peel off the bottom sticker of the pod in order to make a coffee (as opposed to an espresso) is another step in the process I have to remember.

- Downside: water tank takes some fiddling if you've got the machine backed against a kitchen wall -- so it takes some fiddling to align the tank properly from above.

- Noise-wise it's (to my ears) a bit quieter than the Nespresso Citiz. It still rumbles when the pump kicks in -- but the rumble doesn't seem as loud as the Nespresso.

- As I write this, I continue to sip on the first latte I made -- and it's actually pretty darn good. I see this as a pretty quick way to make the occasional latte. The milk is surprisingly good.
bobbytuck

Postby Rob7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Just got my 585 via UPS from Williams-Sonoma this morning, so will need some time to do a good review. Here are a few first impressions:

1. The unit is well packed and setup was easy....but please read the instructions....yes I know :)

2. While the 585 has a large water tank, I set it up in a location where it is not necessary to keep pulling off the tank...but can fill it from the top.

3. The drinks are excellent, and while they cost more then some other machines/pods....they do live up to the Starbucks standards

Will get back after I have had a longer period of use
Rob7

Postby jbviau » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 pm

^^^ Welcome. Please keep the reviews coming, y'all!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby bobbytuck » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:35 am

After quite a few shots and lattes and regular coffees with my 580, here are some additional impressions:

- Regular coffee is good but a little light. Because the 580 has no way to adjust the pour for the coffee, I realized that I have to yank my coffee out a bit before it's finished so it doesn't seem (almost) diluted. But it's tasty (drinking the Pike's roast) -- or at least as tasty as one can get from a pod machine.

- Espresso really is where this unit seems to shine. It's a great shot of espresso from a pod machine. Hot, not too bitter, and probably as good a shot of espresso I've had from a machine where I do no grining, tamping, or fiddling with the thermostat. Is it great espresso? No -- not by any stretch. But it's far better, IMHO -- than any Nespresso shot and -- as I say above -- surprisingly decent.

- Lattes are good, too, but the milk seems a bit too much. In order to get a stronger latte, I've been pouring a bit of milk out once it's pulled and before I pull the espresso.

My sites are low because I know it's a pod machine, and I know there are limitations. But overall -- it's a great little unit with good coffee and very good espresso. If I had to buy it again, I'd stick with the 580. I realize the 585 has more features, larger water tank, adjustable temp control, and adjustable pours -- but I can't justify the price given only those features (and knowing, essentially, that the taste will by and large be the same.)
bobbytuck

Postby Matpunk » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi everyone! new in the forum but old coffe lover here.
I've read every 71 previous post in the thread but i still cant' be sure about if K-Fee, Caffitaly and CBLT pods also maybe,are really compatible or not with the new Verismo System Machine, as i want to buy one Verismo machine but dont want to be stucked in only sbux pods.
Can any of you help me with this specific point?
Many thanks and keep those post coming!
-Nespresso DeLonghi CitiZ c110 with Aeroccino
-Tassimo Bosch T65
-Bialetti Mokona cf41
-Bialetti Moka
Matpunk

Postby Rob7 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:23 pm

You must use the Verismo pods with the Verismo machine....others do not work for a variety of reasons. I doubt Starbucks would be happy with knockoff attempts. Remember...the Verismo kickoff is just getting started, so the number of machines currently in use if very small.
Rob7

Postby Matpunk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for the reply Rob7, but did you actually tried other pods than Verismo in the Verismo machine?
-Nespresso DeLonghi CitiZ c110 with Aeroccino
-Tassimo Bosch T65
-Bialetti Mokona cf41
-Bialetti Moka
Matpunk

PreviousNext

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines