Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

New Keurig Vue brewer [V700]

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: New Keurig Vue brewer [V700]

Postby kschles » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:04 pm

sybermyke wrote:I honestly don't believe Keurig cares about recycling. What has impacted sales for kcups? People coming up with ingenious ways to refill them with customized lids. Problem solved and then Keurig can say how "green" it is. I don't recycle my grounds from my regular coffee pot why would I take the time to do it for the vue? The bio grounds are not the prob here the plastic is. Keurig could have made the vcups out of plant based compostable plastics but they didn't.

The plastic part of the V-cup is recyclable. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to separate the plastic cup from the rest of the V-cup. I think Keurig took concerns about recycling seriously, and came up with a pretty good solution. I appreciate this feature of the Vue system.
Ken

Aeropress
CBTL Contata, Kaldi
Clever Coffee Dripper
Breville Milk Cafe Frother
Espro Press
kschles

Postby blazer0x » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:09 am

blazer0x wrote:Had a yard sale today, and I tried to sell my 2 month old Platinum Plus + Carousel + My K-Cup + 100 various k-cups for $200 and people literally laughed in my face. I guess I will be stuck with it even after I get the Vue.

Wow, so today I checked my local CraigsList, and there were literally over a dozen Keurig Platinum B70's for sale, and all were between $50 and $100, BRAND NEW AND UNOPENED. No wonder people laughed at my asking price. Sheesh though, $200 isn't bad for stuff that I paid over $300 for 60 days ago! (Platinum Plus + Carousel + My-Kcup + 100 k-cups). Oh well I guess I'm just going to keep it because I refuse to sell this stuff for $50.

On top of that, I have now called 6 of the 16 local BB&B and all of them say they have not received any Vue's and don't know when they will. :(
blazer0x

Postby blazer0x » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:18 am

kschles wrote:
sybermyke wrote:I honestly don't believe Keurig cares about recycling. What has impacted sales for kcups? People coming up with ingenious ways to refill them with customized lids. Problem solved and then Keurig can say how "green" it is. I don't recycle my grounds from my regular coffee pot why would I take the time to do it for the vue? The bio grounds are not the prob here the plastic is. Keurig could have made the vcups out of plant based compostable plastics but they didn't.

The plastic part of the V-cup is recyclable. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to separate the plastic cup from the rest of the V-cup. I think Keurig took concerns about recycling seriously, and came up with a pretty good solution. I appreciate this feature of the Vue system.

I'm sure that Keurig cares more about things like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lids-For-Any-Ke ... 3a70e80ec8 than they do recycling :)

I doubt it is any coincidence that with the patent on k-cups about to expire, they come up with a whole new machine that does not use k-cups, and also has lids that cannot be replaced by third-party lids to allow re-using.

That being said, I'm glad that they are at least making the new machine with better features, especially ones that were at the top of many peoples wish-lists (hotter brew, stronger brew, larger brew size, larger reservoir). Don't get me wrong, I am glad the new cups can be recycled. But don't think for a minute that any company in the business to make money does anything just for the environments sake (unless they are a mega-corporation and can afford to do it for the good press). I'm sure the engineers were tasked with figuring out how to keep the third-party cup lids from being used on this new system, and they did, and "hey we can say it's for recycling purposes!" :)
blazer0x

Postby rahl1972 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:08 am

Actually the new capsules are a pretty simple design. It won't be hard for keurig or any ither oarty to create a refillable one. There is nothing about the new design that is going to prevent that.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Breville One Touch tea maker
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine
rahl1972

Postby VydorScope » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:55 am

rahl1972 wrote:Actually the new capsules are a pretty simple design. It won't be hard for keurig or any ither oarty to create a refillable one. There is nothing about the new design that is going to prevent that.

Exactly. They are just slightly different shape then the k-cups. We will see a my-v-kup and a eko-v-cup and etc before to long. If they had put RFID in the v-cups that might have made it harder, but they did not it seems.

I agree that this coming out near the expiration of their patents tells exactly why they are doing it. There is nothing in the new machine they could not do with the old k-cups. But I am very unlikly to by one soon, if I have to buy a new machine I'll probably pick up a refurd Bun MCP. Its a shame... like the idea of the Keurigs...
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby rahl1972 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 am

I don't know if anybody else has noticed but this machine brews a stronger cup on the regular setting compaired to older Keurig machines. When set on strong it is much stronger. I found that if I brew a regular capsule on the strong setting at a 12oz shot for a travel mug it comes out just perfect actually. No need for the travel mug v-cups for me.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby Cam » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 am

I don't want all the froo froo drinks so I think pods are the way to go for me. I want cheap, good cups of coffee. Not expensive machine + expensive v-cups of coffee
Cam

Postby rahl1972 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

The Vue and Vue Packs are now available for order online at the Keurig website.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
rahl1972

Postby rhfil » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:02 pm

It appears that vcups are also available on the GMCR site.
rhfil

Postby hotwasabipeas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Keurig sucks....I placed 4 Vue Pack's in my cart earlier and it was just a tiny bit over $45 so it was eligible for free shipping (anything over $45 gets free shipping). I held off ordering at that time and I just checked my cart now and Keurig somehow decreased the price of one of the Vue Packs so now my total is $44.96 and I cannot get free shipping. :evil: What a bunch of bollocks!
SB Verismo 580, Tassimo T65, Keurig B70 & Vue V700, Nuova Simonelli Oscar: My website: http://www.planetwasabi.com
hotwasabipeas

Postby VydorScope » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:26 pm

hotwasabipeas wrote:Keurig sucks....I placed 4 Vue Pack's in my cart earlier and it was just a tiny bit over $45 so it was eligible for free shipping (anything over $45 gets free shipping). I held off ordering at that time and I just checked my cart now and Keurig somehow decreased the price of one of the Vue Packs so now my total is $44.96 and I cannot get free shipping. :evil: What a bunch of bollocks!

Try calling, I bet they give you the free shipping for the 4 cent difference assuming you call up with a positive and friendly attitude that is.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby rhfil » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I can tell you that at last year's GMCR annual meeting the issue of recycling was brought up and management did indicate that they considered it to be a significant issue and were working very hard on addressing the issue. I talked to one of the vp's of development and he indicated that one of the major difficulites with using a recyclable plastic was finding one that did not fracture when punctured. The Vue adresses that problem by puncturing only the foil.
rhfil

Postby blazer0x » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 am

rahl1972 wrote:Actually the new capsules are a pretty simple design. It won't be hard for keurig or any ither oarty to create a refillable one. There is nothing about the new design that is going to prevent that.

Well, with k-cups you remove the foil, clean the filter, and just pop on a third-party lid. With the new cups, if you remove the foil the filter comes out with it...oops.
blazer0x

Postby blazer0x » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 am

I hope they get a Black Tea flavor...the only tea they have now is green, herbal, chai latte, and the sweetened black tea (which I can't have because on a diet). I'd like some plain ole black tea - it doesn't have to be specifically for iced either, because I found that the Taxo "Awake" black tea k-cups made great iced-tea!
blazer0x

Postby boberang » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 am

blazer0x wrote:I hope they get a Black Tea flavor...the only tea they have now is green, herbal, chai latte, and the sweetened black tea (which I can't have because on a diet). I'd like some plain ole black tea - it doesn't have to be specifically for iced either, because I found that the Taxo "Awake" black tea k-cups made great iced-tea!

Isn't it amazing that, at least around here, it is hard to get just tea. Not that pre-bottled tea in convenience stores are the good stuff, but tea is naturally mostly calorie free. There shouldn't be anything called diet tea. There should be tea (real black tea in the USA anyway), sweetened tea, diet sweetened tea, green tea, etc. but instead, if you want what I call tea, you have to look for unsweetened tea.

The V-cup industry is just following suit, and I assume they will have an unsweetened tea at some point in time. But I too would have been looking forward to that.

My local BBB still has the V700 in stock. It is going to be interesting in the future to see where they stick all the v-cups. The wall of k-cups doesn't look like it has much room to expand.
boberang

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines