Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

My Keurigs

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

My Keurigs

Postby brucefever » Sun May 02, 2010 9:06 am

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum (first post as you can see). I have had 2 Keurigs (B-60s). Both had the same problems. Did not brew full cups and shut off randomly. I recently bought a ton of k-cups at Costco. When I got home I started to make my coffee (hadn't made any in a few weeks) when I discovered the machine had gotten infested with insects - it was the water sitting in it I think (I won't go into details - it was disgusting). So I immediately put it in a trash bag and threw it out. Not returnable.

My question is, what do I do next? I loved the convenience of the Keurig (when it worked). My primary criteria for a machine are that 1) it is a single cup brewer; 2) it works consistently; 3) it's low maintenance; 4) it brews HOT coffee. Should I stay with the Keurig and just upgrade to a b70? Are they more reliable? I have all these k-cups - if I switch machines I'll have no use for them.

Help!
brucefever

Postby dsharp88 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am

K-cup brewers are fine. I got my B77 at Costco last year and it has worked perfectly. On the other hand, after getting the B77 I discovered pod coffee makers make even better coffee with more varieties at a cheaper price, and are more environmentally friendly.

I don't know if you want to go to all this trouble, but here's what I would do if I were in your position...
First, get a pod machine (I really like my Bunn MyCafe) and order some pods.
Next, return the k-cups if you can. If you can't return them, you can (at a slight inconvenience until they're used up) use the coffee in the k-cups for your own single drip ($2 Melitta filter cone or wrapped in a small coffee filter and stuck in your pod machine, which works EXTREMELY well).

Alternatively, you can trade your k-cups for pods with someone on the forum here willing to help out. I for one have plenty of pods to share and can use the k-cups as well so if you're interested in that let me know.
Last edited by dsharp88 on Sun May 02, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsharp88

Postby brucefever » Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm

dsharp88: I agree that the kcup brewers are fine, but are they reliable? That's my concern. My personal experience and the reviews I've read tell me otherwise. However, perhaps people tend to more often post when something is wrong than when something is good. I don't know. How long can I expect one to last before it craps out on me? It they are meant to only last a few years, but other brewers last longer, I'd rather go with one that will last 10 years.
Are there brewers that don't have such a large water reservoir (but still make HOT coffee)? Based on my recent experience, I'd rather not have water sitting in the reservoir indefinitely.

Thanks for your comments!
brucefever

Postby jbviau » Sun May 02, 2010 4:10 pm

brucefever wrote:Are there brewers that don't have such a large water reservoir (but still make HOT coffee)? Based on my recent experience, I'd rather not have water sitting in the reservoir indefinitely.

Bruce, you might look at the Keurig Mini, which only holds enough water for a single cup. I rarely hear of problems with the Minis (or the B40s). Otherwise, Don's advice is good. Oh, and welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby brucefever » Sun May 02, 2010 7:48 pm

jbviau wrote:
brucefever wrote:Are there brewers that don't have such a large water reservoir (but still make HOT coffee)? Based on my recent experience, I'd rather not have water sitting in the reservoir indefinitely.

Bruce, you might look at the Keurig Mini, which only holds enough water for a single cup. I rarely hear of problems with the Minis (or the B40s). Otherwise, Don's advice is good. Oh, and welcome!

I was considering that. And I just read that the default brewed coffee temp is 192 degrees which is fine for me. :-)
brucefever

Postby jbviau » Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 pm

Cool. You might be able to find the older version of the Mini on sale still at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Am I the only one who wants more detail on the insect infestation? ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby brucefever » Sun May 02, 2010 9:23 pm

jbviau wrote:Cool. You might be able to find the older version of the Mini on sale still at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Am I the only one who wants more detail on the insect infestation? ;)

LOL! I get ants in the kitchen every year. I put out of few of those traps and usually they're gone. This year they just wouldn't go away. I discovered they were taking all the ant poison back to their "nest" which turned out the be the inside of the machine. It's not like it was millions of them, but still. Eewwwww.

I'm shopping around for the machine. The best deal so far is at Herringtoncatalog.com. If I buy the B40 for $84.95, add two 18-ct packs of k-cups and use coupon code save20 (must spend $99 to use this code), my total cost is $99.83.
brucefever

Postby Mike-Mike » Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 pm

Ant Coffee K-Cups
Keurig B77
Mike-Mike

Postby brucefever » Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Mike-Mike wrote:Ant Coffee K-Cups

They work with the Keurig B-100 for ant eaters.
brucefever

Postby WatcherJohn » Tue May 04, 2010 1:54 pm

Had my B70 for a year and a half now. No need to post that it is working great. I have had a problem with the hot Texas summer lowering Lake Pflugerville. My dish washer left a coating on everything. Had to desale the B70 every 8 to 9 weeks (the pump would just freeze up.) Got past that & haven't rescaled or had any problem since September.
Then NEW & Improved Keurig B70 Platinum.
Keurig B70 Platinum (He's Dead Jim.)
and Starbucks Barista Espresso Machine
WatcherJohn

Postby brucefever » Thu May 13, 2010 1:05 pm

I ended up getting a B-30 on sale from Macys.
$53.99 + 12.95 shipping + 4.02 tax = $70.96

Already made a very nice cup of coffee with it! Now, why do they sometimes completely shut off when they are finished brewing?

BTW, thanks all here for the advice!
brucefever

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines