Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

My-Kap reusable lid

Talk back from articles posted at Single Serve Coffee

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

My-Kap reusable lid

Postby fred3202 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Just received an email about the subject product. Has anyone used this lid? If so how did you find it? does it perform as advertised and if so, is there certain coffees that need to be used (or avoided) in this cup?

Thanks in advance for advise.
fred3202

lids

Postby fred3202 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for the response Glenn but that isn't the item that was touted in the email I received - here's a link to the site
http://www.my-kap.com/MYK/
fred3202

Postby VydorScope » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Junk is my estimation. Why in the world would you WANT to rinse and reuse a paper filter? Seems like all of these ideas should fail the logic test at that step. before going anywhere.

Use MyKCup if you want to use your own grinds. Why would these caps even be considered over that?
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby BooksCatsCoffee » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 pm

I love gadgets. :) I have one on order and it should be here soon. Always fun to have alternatives.

A used k-cup shouldn't be too hard to rinse out, easier than the My K-Cup, I hope. I like the idea of using my own coffee occasionally, and this should make it easy. Rinse out a used k-cup, fill with own coffee, cap and brew - and throw away! (Uh, not the cap... ;) )

We'll see...
Nespresso Pixie (office)
Nespresso Citiz
Handpresso Wild
Breville, and Keurig Mini (office)
BooksCatsCoffee

Postby jar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:43 pm

The big difference is between a gold plated filter in a basket you can disassemble and clean and a paper filter glued into a plastic cup where you cannot clean under the filter or in the lower part of the K-cup.

May well be a great idea but its not something that would interest me at any price point.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes, I like this idea of a proper filter for the k-cup you're going to reuse. The other day I emptied out a k-cup, removing the filter along with the grounds. Then I put the My K-cup filter into the empty k-cup to see if it would fit. It did, but just barely. When I put the empty k-cup with the My K-cup filter inside it into the Keurig, I saw that the needle poking up through the hole in the bottom of the k-cup was displacing the filter. Because of that, I didn't even try to brew anything using that little rig. The filter would probably need to be about 1 cm more shallow for it to work (along with a lid of some kind). Who wants to make a prototype? ;)

NB: All of this hassle would be to avoid having to use the My K-Cup, as has been pointed out. Not sure it's worth it, but it's fun to tinker.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby JimS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:59 am

wgm wrote:BooksCatsCoffee - report back... always interested to read reviews :wink:

If you watch the video though... seem like a lot of work, when I think k-cups, I think k-cup ease.

That's pretty much my feeling in a nutshell. Having a Keurig is like having a coffee vending machine with decent coffee that you don't have to stuff wrinkly dollar bills into.

If I'm going to go to the work to remove the cover, clean the filter, dry it, and refill it, I had might as well use my dusty old french press and get a spectacular cup of coffee.
JimS

Postby BooksCatsCoffee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:20 pm

True enough on the ease of use for the Keurig. This little cap isn't something I'll use every day, but it's nice to have it if I want a quick cup of my favorite local roast. I don't have a 'regular' (as in multi-cup) brewer out on the counter of either the kitchen or my home studio, and while the little Melitta single-cup filter brewer is quick, I'd have the same rinse and throw as I will with this little cap, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I do have the Pod Holster as well (two of them, actually) and like them a lot. We have both pod and k-cup brewers in the house, so the Pod Holster gets used a few times a week.

Like I said, I do like my gadgets. :D

Received a shipping notice for the cap. It will probably take a few days since I think we're on opposite coasts.

(Currently sipping Coffee People's Donut Shop - yum!)
Nespresso Pixie (office)
Nespresso Citiz
Handpresso Wild
Breville, and Keurig Mini (office)
BooksCatsCoffee

my-Kap excellent

Postby msu1972 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Anyone who downgrades this product, simply stated, does not know what they are talking about. I have no connection to this company. They work excellent. Once you prepare a set, removing the foil only takes place one time, the k-cup and be used over and over again. I have some used over 20 times showing no degradation. I use Copan, dark roast and Tim Horton's fine grind in it. I use many regular K-Cups and also the My-kap refills. My-Kap refills cost less than .20 with your coffee (figure 45 caps per pound). Rinsing the caps once used is a cinch. Make 20 of your favorites, place in a bin, and enjoy a great cup of Tim Horton's or your favorite.
This adds to the enjoyment of your Keurig.
msu1972

my-kap vs my-cup

Postby msu1972 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:48 pm

my-cup leaves grounds in your coffee. my-kap gives a perfect cup of coffee.
msu1972

Re: my-kap vs my-cup

Postby jar » Sat May 30, 2009 9:28 pm

msu1972 wrote:my-cup leaves grounds in your coffee. my-kap gives a perfect cup of coffee.

Mine doesn't.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby starryeyes » Sat May 30, 2009 9:57 pm

God, here we go again. You don't let up about this device do you. I find it hard to believe that you're not associated with the company.
Bunn My Cafe Home, Nespresso Lattissima +, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II, Tassimo T46, Jura Micro Ena 9
Retired: Keurig B66, Nespresso Le Cube, Dolce Gusto Piccolo, Saeco Talea Touch Plus II (donating to my niece)
starryeyes

Lids

Postby ResearchGuru » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:25 am

What is the latest on how the lids work?

Will they. or have they, had an impact of Kcup sales to date?

Any coffee sellers know?

Thanks for you help with my research project!
ResearchGuru

Re: My-Kap reusable lid

Postby coffeeguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:34 pm

I use the lids and find them easy to use. I prefer to use the k-cups as sold but have a hard time with the though of throwing out the plastic. And yes, I know it's not a lot of plastic. If I do 5 cups at a time it's jsut not that big a hassle. I do take a short cut and wash out the cup and leave the originally filter in. The oils just don't make that big a taste diff for me as I use the same type of coffee over and over again.
coffeeguy

Return to SingleServeCoffee.com Discussions