Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Made In America

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Made In America

Postby gicohen3431 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Kudos to Bunn (or "Bunn-O-Matic") for being discovered by ABC news as a US manufacturer of home coffee brewers.

Check out http://abcnews.go.com/Business/difficul ... d=13056429

Their report said the home brewer is assembled in Illinois with foreign components.

SO- O - O, this begs the question for our beloved pod brewers:

- My Cafe Home
- MCP / MCA
- Autopod

What's their story? Made in America? Percent foreign components?

(Hey, Amanda, give us another reason to buy Bunn!)

Gary
gicohen3431

Re: Made In America

Postby jbviau » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Both of my Bunns (MCP and MCH) were made in China IIRC. The same is true for my Nespresso. As for the OPOD, I *think* it's U.S.-made, but I'm definitely not going to try to lift it over my head to check without a spotter!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:41 pm

jbviau wrote:As for the OPOD, I *think* it's U.S.-made, but I'm definitely not going to try to lift it over my head to check without a spotter!

Ok, no need for lifting. On the back, my OPOD is labeled "Made in PRC." That's either the People's Republic of China or Puerto Rico (betting on the former).
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby EricBNC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:51 pm

My Krups Home Cafe was made in Switzerland and my Senseo was made in Poland, so not all are made in China, just most of them.
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Doesn't Keurig/GMCR own China, anyway? ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby tinninches » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:22 pm

No, but China owns most of U.S.A.
-Jayson-
tinninches

Postby EricBNC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Tassimo T-45 model: Made in Slovenia - that's three of mine that are not made in China so far.
EricBNC

Postby Amanda@BUNN » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 pm

gicohen3431 wrote:Kudos to Bunn (or "Bunn-O-Matic") for being discovered by ABC news as a US manufacturer of home coffee brewers.

Check out http://abcnews.go.com/Business/difficul ... d=13056429

Their report said the home brewer is assembled in Illinois with foreign components.

SO- O - O, this begs the question for our beloved pod brewers:

- My Cafe Home
- MCP / MCA
- Autopod

What's their story? Made in America? Percent foreign components?

(Hey, Amanda, give us another reason to buy Bunn!)

Gary

Gary,

The ABC News segment is definitely generating some buzz and we've heard that lots of BUNN owners called and emailed ABC. However, the segment wasn't 100% accurate(the part about "assembled here but all the parts are from overseas"). Three of our home models are assembled in Creston, Iowa with a mix of US and foreign made components. You can find some more info at http://www.bunnathome.com/blog/2011/03/assembled-usa.

The new My Cafe for Home is manufactured in China. The MCP and MCA machines as well as the Autopod are assembled in the USA (Illinois or Iowa).

My understanding (and I'm far from an expert on this subject) is that the FTC guidelines to label "Made in America" is very difficult for an appliance manufacturer to meet. For example, we buy a lot of our glass from a great supplier in Germany. A glass carafe alone would prevent labeling "Made in America".

The percent of foreign components on BUNN brewers really varies so I don't have a good number to share. A lot depends on availability and whether we're using our primary or secondary suppliers. Regardless of where component parts come from, our quality standards are very strict.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Amanda
Amanda@BUNN

Postby Amanda@BUNN » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:10 pm

jbviau wrote:Both of my Bunns (MCP and MCH) were made in China IIRC. The same is true for my Nespresso. As for the OPOD, I *think* it's U.S.-made, but I'm definitely not going to try to lift it over my head to check without a spotter!

Josh,
I checked on your MCP and was told that they were either assembled in Springfield, IL or Creston, IA. :D

Amanda
Amanda@BUNN

Postby gicohen3431 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Of course we are ALL part of the global economy, so your answer is well taken. Assembled here is another good reason for me to buy Bunn!

THANKS for the clarification and keep up the good work,

Gary
gicohen3431

Postby jbviau » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Amanda@BUNN wrote:
jbviau wrote:Both of my Bunns (MCP and MCH) were made in China IIRC. The same is true for my Nespresso. As for the OPOD, I *think* it's U.S.-made, but I'm definitely not going to try to lift it over my head to check without a spotter!

Josh, I checked on your MCP and was told that they were either assembled in Springfield, IL or Creston, IA. :D Amanda

My bad, Amanda. You're right that my MCP was made in Springfield (just checked). Thanks for the clarification.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Renaldow » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:06 am

There's a difference between being "Made in the USA" and "Assembled in the USA".

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03 ... a-standard

Lots of things are assembled in the US. Companies get past taxes and import fees by sending the parts over to be assembled. Automakers do it, so does Sony among others. For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. So if it's foreign made parts, it's not considered a domestic product.
Renaldow

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines