Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig slowing down

The most frequently discussed single serve coffee threads along with other important threads

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig slowing down

Postby lisathnos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:11 am

I have noticed that my Breville/Keurig coffee machine has started slowing down brewing a cup as of late. There seems to be a longer delay from when I push the brew button and when the water starts to flow.

Could it be time to de-scale? I have had the machine since mid-December but have used it a lot. It does have the water filter so I would think that would lengthen the time between de-scalings? How do I do the de-scaling?

Thank you for your input.
lisathnos

Re: Keurig slowing down

Postby sillyrabbitt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:37 am

lisathnos wrote:I have noticed that my Breville/Keurig coffee machine has started slowing down brewing a cup as of late. There seems to be a longer delay from when I push the brew button and when the water starts to flow.

Could it be time to de-scale? I have had the machine since mid-December but have used it a lot. It does have the water filter so I would think that would lengthen the time between de-scalings? How do I do the de-scaling?

Thank you for your input.

does this happen just with kcups? i have noticed it slower when brewing pods in it.
I drink my coffee/espresso black no sugar
Nespresso Lattissima
Cuisinart SS-1
sillyrabbitt

Postby lisathnos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 am

I only brew K-cups in my Breville. That and I run hot water to make hot apple cider and things like that. I haven't found a need to try pods yet or even My K-cup that came with it. I am very happy with all the varieties of coffee, tea and hot cocoa I can make. My husband is such a creature of steady habits that he only drinks Tully Kona!
lisathnos

Postby sillyrabbitt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 am

lisathnos wrote:I only brew K-cups in my Breville. That and I run hot water to make hot apple cider and things like that. I haven't found a need to try pods yet or even My K-cup that came with it. I am very happy with all the varieties of coffee, tea and hot cocoa I can make. My husband is such a creature of steady habits that he only drinks Tully Kona!

kcups are great i agree :) totally understand just trying to figure out why?

try the suggestions if all else fails call Breville or return it.
Nespresso Lattissima
Cuisinart SS-1
sillyrabbitt

Postby sweaner » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 pm

Is it slow even without a Kcup? If not, it may be a partially clogged lower needle. If so, check the upper needle. My B60 does start slower when using a pod. I suspect this is from the increased resistance, and is not abnormal.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby lisathnos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:12 pm

I honestly have not run just hot water through since this started. It doesn't do it with every cup. I noticed it did it this morning on the first cup of the day. The other 3 were normal.
lisathnos

Postby BigJack » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 pm

I am convinced that one of the reasons why my B40 continues to work like brand new is because we run hot water through several times a day to use with tea bags or to fill my French press or to mix up instant oatmeal. When my needles get the least bit of coffee build-up, I know about it immediately because there will be coffee grounds floating in my hot water. That lets me know that it is time to clean.

If you don't use your machine as a hot water dispenser, I suggest you run some hot water into a clean glass at least once a week as part of a maintenance strategy.
BigJack

Postby lisathnos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I tend to think it is not a case of needing de-scaling. I am leaning toward it being that it needs to prime after a period of non-use, as someone suggested. I do not ever turn it off so that it keeps water at the ready so I was surprised it needs to prime but thank you for that explanation.

Lisa
lisathnos

Postby sillyrabbitt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

lisathnos wrote: I am leaning toward it being that it needs to prime after a period of non-use, as someone suggested.

Use it more, drink more k-cups! get with the program ;)
Nespresso Lattissima
Cuisinart SS-1
sillyrabbitt

Postby lisathnos » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:36 am

Very funny, Silly Rabbit!! The only non-use I was talking about is when I am sleeping at night and am out of the house. I don't sit here wired on coffee all day and all night!!!

Seriously, I did wash the K-Cup holder for the first time after pulling out the manual and finding out I was supposed to be doing that regularly!!! It wasn't too oily or dirty but now I know that needs to be done.

Have a great weekend!!!

Lisa
Love my Breville!
lisathnos

Postby sillyrabbitt » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 am

lisathnos wrote:Very funny, Silly Rabbit!! The only non-use I was talking about is when I am sleeping at night and am out of the house. I don't sit here wired on coffee all day and all night!!!

Seriously, I did wash the K-Cup holder for the first time after pulling out the manual and finding out I was supposed to be doing that regularly!!! It wasn't too oily or dirty but now I know that needs to be done.

Have a great weekend!!!

Lisa

I am just teasing :)

Have a great weekend too!
Nespresso Lattissima
Cuisinart SS-1
sillyrabbitt

Postby JimC » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:02 am

wgm wrote:
I think I would try... taking the filter out & see if that helps... if it does... it would be a filter clogged... or that would be my guess...

have you tried removing the filter and seeing if that speeds things up yet? I haven't changed my filter yet and I purchased it in mid-Decmeber but my water is pretty soft.

The recommended replacement time is every 2 months so the timing seems about right.
-Jim

B50 - may she RIP...
OPOD - a fun fling, but not a long term relationship.
Breville BKC600XL - it sure is shiny!
JimC

Postby coolied » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 am

i'm betting on the filter, too.... my Brita pitcher I used to use slowed down when the filter began showing signs of age........ after a period of disuse (overnight) the water needs to soak into the filter, this takes longer as it gets clogged and will lead to a short delay before brewing begins........... Change the filter and i'm sure it will behave itself again, I did away with the filter completely in my SS-1 and just use a Pur filter on my tap to fill my machines now.
Keurig B70
Drinker Of Much Coffee!!!!!!!!
coolied

Postby sweaner » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Hasn't the water in the boiler been filtered already? Why would that delay the brew. I would think that would lengthen the refill time.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby coolied » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:32 pm

sweaner wrote:Hasn't the water in the boiler been filtered already? Why would that delay the brew. I would think that would lengthen the refill time.

unless you're using the smallest drop size, it ALWAYS pumps water into the boiler before brewing.... if the pre-brew pumping takes longer, the brewing will be delayed........
Keurig B70
Drinker Of Much Coffee!!!!!!!!
coolied

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee FAQ