Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig reliability woes

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig reliability woes

Postby kokarma » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 pm

I've had a keurig of some form for a little more than three years. Started off with a b40; at one point, it was replaced by Keurig (due to a problem right at its 1 yr warranty period) with a b50 (I think?) and very shortly after, *that* replacement failed and I ended up with a second b50. Now, less than two years later, the heating element seems to be going on the fritz. So while I'm limping along, I see where this is headed: another new machine.

Honestly, I'm very frustrated. Problem is, I'm addicted -- to the coffee, to the convenience, to just about everything the "single serve coffee" paradigm provides. But I don't want to be spending 100's of dollars on coffee machines every year (yes, I have technically only PURCHASED one machine, but I've gone through three of them and am facing a fourth!). The more reading I am doing, the more I'm becoming convinced that Keurig isn't doing anything to improve its reliability.

So where does that leave me? What's the most reliable long-term machine out there? $300 for a Bunn? Something else? All I want is a nice dark cup of coffee, and a machine that will make it consistently for years to come.
kokarma

Postby MichFan » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm going on 4 years with my B60, and 3.5 years with a B40 at the office that gets heavy use (e.g., 20-30 KCups a day). My B60 had a broken KCup holder due to swapping it out when using the My KCup, which Keurig promptly replaced free of charge. Other than that, they have been very solid and exceeded my expectations.
MichFan

Postby Cafe MT IN » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:55 pm

This is good to hear.

I got tired of replacing my regular drip machines (not the cheap old Mr. Coffee's either) every year to 18 months, so I finally just bought a french press. Makes a better cup of coffee, but there is much more work involved in the cleanup. I do fine on days I only drink a pot, but if I want more, it's just too much of a hassle and most of that second pot goes to waste.

I finally broke down and ordered a b40 yesterday. I had some concerns about buying another machine, but this really eases my mind.

Now of only it would magically appear on my doorstep and not make me wait until it gets here!! :lol:
Cafe MT IN

Postby jar » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:39 am

As you say, you have only purchased one machine in two years.

The first questions I'd ask is "What is so different about my environment?" and "What might I be doing wrong?"

Why is your experience so different than so many others here?

Look around and see what you could do to protect the machine. Invest in a good surge protector, one that not only protects against surges but that also clips and limits transients.

Make sure that there is not a device like a microwave oven on the same circuit.

Descale the machine regularly.

See if you can determine what it is that is unique to YOUR environment that is damaging the brewers and then address that issue.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby ranin02 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 am

I am on my 5th Keurig due to warranty replacements, but this one has lasted for I think about 2.5 years now (knock on wood) -- it's a B60. It was a pain having to get so many replacements, but I only paid for the first machine, and the replacements were all shipped out very quickly with no fuss. If this one goes, I am sure I will replace it with another Keurig.
ranin02

Postby sweaner » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:01 pm

The B50s were known to have reliability problems. My B60 is going on 4 years and is still working well.

I don't know much about the reliability of the B70 line.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby TheCoffeeMakerStore » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Keurig reliability problems huh? There's another thread about this same topic. Didn't check it out yet...
Looking for a coffee maker? Check out my list of the weirdest looking
coffee makers ever!
TheCoffeeMakerStore

Postby aab1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:37 pm

What was the problems with the first ones? And I don't understand why you say the heating element seems to be starting to fail, heating elements rarely if ever fail, what is making you think it's failing?
Melitta one:one - Intro to single serve brewing but absurdly small water tank and brew sizes
Keurig B70 - Incredible upgrade from the Melitta
Breville BKC600XL - Nice upgrade from the Keurig B70
Solis Palazzo - Super Automatic Espresso/Coffee machine
aab1

Postby kokarma » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:26 am

aab1 wrote:What was the problems with the first ones? And I don't understand why you say the heating element seems to be starting to fail, heating elements rarely if ever fail, what is making you think it's failing?

As far as what is making me think it's failing -- when it is on (which is most of the time), it is constantly gurgling or otherwise making noise, as if it's trying to heat. It also takes SEVERAL minutes to heat up between a cup of coffee (which isn't a problem as I am the only one to drink a cup and it's usually done heating by the time I'm done drinking my first, but not always). When it's off, it can take up to an hour to heat once it's turned on again. As an example, I turned it on at 5:24 this morning and it just now heated up enough to produce a cup of coffee. So...yeah...the heating element is failing ;D
kokarma

Postby kokarma » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:28 am

jar wrote:As you say, you have only purchased one machine in two years.

The first questions I'd ask is "What is so different about my environment?" and "What might I be doing wrong?"

Why is your experience so different than so many others here?

Look around and see what you could do to protect the machine. Invest in a good surge protector, one that not only protects against surges but that also clips and limits transients.

Make sure that there is not a device like a microwave oven on the same circuit.

Descale the machine regularly.

See if you can determine what it is that is unique to YOUR environment that is damaging the brewers and then address that issue.

Hmmm. why the insistence on not being on the same circuit as a microwave? I mean...it IS a kitchen appliance.
kokarma

Postby VydorScope » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:07 am

kokarma wrote:Hmmm. why the insistence on not being on the same circuit as a microwave? I mean...it IS a kitchen appliance.

From what I have read when I was rewiring my previous house, EVERY major appliance in your kitchen should be on its own circuit. That includes the Microwave. In many places the code is that every OUTLET in your Kitchen be on its own circuit. But even with that, everything you plug in should have a good surge suppressor.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby DellRio811 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:35 am

Even tho it may seem as if it is just a simple coffee maker, it does draw 1500 watts. Kind of on a par with a microwave.
Breville BKC600XL
Bunn My Cafe
DellRio811

Postby jar » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm

Also microwave ovens cycle with high draws and very fast ramp up and decline.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby aab1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:08 pm

A coffee maker like the Keurig and almost any other including kettles must be the only appliance on the circuit as it pulls the maximum amount a house circuit can handle.

In my case I do have a convection oven on the same outlet but I'm always EXTREMELY careful that only one is on at any given time otherwise it can likely quickly start a fire inside the wall if the breaker or fuse fails.
Melitta one:one - Intro to single serve brewing but absurdly small water tank and brew sizes
Keurig B70 - Incredible upgrade from the Melitta
Breville BKC600XL - Nice upgrade from the Keurig B70
Solis Palazzo - Super Automatic Espresso/Coffee machine
aab1

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines