Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig reliability

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig reliability

Postby rhohltjr » Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 am

Hi, I've been looking at Amazon reviews for Keurig brewers and it seems the greatest problem users have (those that have problems) is the machines just quit after a time.

Have any of you had to replace your Keurigs, for any reason?

I am going to replace my aging Melita One:One for something with more water capacity, and (following Josh's Pod and KCup reviews) could go with either the Grindmaster OPOD or a Keurig except I don't want to get a machine that wont last. Also, does anyone know if any retailer will brew a KCup to let you experience ....it.

Thanks in advance.
8) rhj
rhohltjr

Postby jar » Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 am

while I am planning one retiring my Keurig B-40 (old version with a single drop size) one day soon, it has been running jess fine for quite a while.
Last edited by jar on Thu May 07, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Thu May 07, 2009 10:52 am

Welcome to the forum! A few thoughts...

I've heard Bed Bath & Beyond does Keurig demos sometimes. I know Costco does too, but it's hard to predict when the demo people will be out (I've only come across them once).

Re: Keurig's reliability, I got my B40 secondhand. It has to be several years old because it's the version with only one brew size button (like jar's). No problems whatsoever. Between my wife and myself we use it 4-5 times a week.

If you're nervous about machines breaking down, I'd go with a new machine unless you can find a killer deal. Many people (including yours truly) have had good experiences with the cheaper gen. 2 OPODs, but if you *do* happen to get a bad gen. 2 OPOD you won't get any warranty support. Of course, the Keurigs are much cheaper than the top-tier pod brewers if you're limiting yourself to new machines.

Personally I think the coffee from pods is better than the coffee from k-cups, but you can find winners in both formats. Since you seem to want a lot of water capacity, that rules out the cheap Senseo alternative in pods. So...

Low-budget recommendation: Maybe a B40 with a pod holster would work well for you?

Big-budget recommendation: Brand new OPOD!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby VydorScope » Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 am

I empty my B40's water tank at least once a day, so how ever many cups that is... 5? 7? something like that, and have had it about a year I think. Not a single problem ever.

Check the old posts on this forum, as far as I know the crop of owners here overall have been happy with the reliability of these machines.

That being said... my OPOD does make better coffee :)
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby ranin02 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 pm

I originally had a B50, then had 4 warranty replacements, the last two of which were B60s. My current B60, the last warranty replacement, has been working fine for nearly 2 years. I think maybe they worked out some of the reliability issues and improved the machine -- this B60 definitely has some changes from the B60 that preceeded it so they did make changes to it.

That being said, I will tell you that those 4 warranty replacements cost me absolutely nothing, and each time they shipped me out a new machine immediately -- they didn't make me send in the old one first so there was no delay. They definitely stood behind their 1 year warranty. Not only that, for each replacement the one year warranty period started over again. Also, the Green Mountain site offers some sort of free extended warranty on your machine if you order enough coffee from their cafe express program: http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/025743.php

As for trying it out, one thought is that many car dealerships now have keurig machines in their service areas, as well as lots of other businesses. My current and previous hair salons both have one. If you keep your eyes open, you can spot them in many places. Also, if you decide to just go for it and you buy it from BB&B or Target, you will have no problem returning it if you don't like the coffee.
ranin02

Thanks

Postby rhohltjr » Thu May 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Thank you all. Not a bad post in the bunch!!! Very helpful. :D
rhohltjr

Postby dougef » Thu May 07, 2009 5:29 pm

FWIW, I just recently bought a B70 at BB&B with the 20% off coupon. I used a credit card that supposedly doubles the warranty up to 1 extra year. So I figure I'm covered for 2 years should I have any issues.
dougef

Postby MichFan » Thu May 07, 2009 9:34 pm

I've had a B60 for going on 3 years that gets 3-5 cycles daily. Had to replace the K-Cup holder due to how many times I snapped it out and in when using the My K-Cup. Keurig replaced it for free outside of warranty, and I got it in 2 days.

I've had a B40 at work for over 2 years. My coworkers have taken to it, so it gets 15-20 cycles a day. No problems at all.
MichFan

Postby Justbcaws » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm

I'm coming up on 2 years, haven't had a problem yet.
Justbcaws

Postby Skye23 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:40 am

I'm a member of Green Mountain's coffee subscription plan and I got an email awhile back that basically said that as long as I was a member - if my Keurig stopped working they'd replace it with the same or a better model for free. (Assuming I didn't do something stupid to it - obviously).
Skye23

Postby VydorScope » Fri May 08, 2009 6:49 am

these comments about the coffee sub plan... how much is the min buy in?
Vincent
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
VydorScope

Postby Skye23 » Mon May 11, 2009 2:17 am

I used to order 2-4 BAGS of coffee every 6-8 weeks. Now I order 4 boxes of k-cups every 8-12 weeks or so (we don't get all of ours from them), plus the occaisional bag to make pot coffee with.

In theory you can get anywhere from 1 box/bag to as much as you want (4 boxes of k-cups is free shipping) every 4 - 12 weeks. You can also push back shipments - which I've done.

So probably the "minimum" would be 1 box of k-cups every 12 weeks - but you can look on the site for more details. Don't quote me.
Skye23

Followup

Postby rhohltjr » Sat May 16, 2009 12:35 am

rhohltjr wrote:Thank you all. Not a bad post in the bunch!!! Very helpful. :D

I drove over to Coffee Giant today and sampled a Keurig. It was a Tiger something. Pretty good and very very hot. I also looked at their new offering, a pod machine from Canada called the SunCafe. It was good except the water reservoir was too small. It reminded me of my Melita 1:1.

The Keurig coffee was good. Now I must decide to stick with pods or go with a keurig. what to do...what to do.... :?:
rhohltjr

Re: Followup

Postby VydorScope » Sat May 16, 2009 6:15 am

rhohltjr wrote:I drove over to Coffee Giant today and sampled a Keurig. It was a Tiger something. Pretty good and very very hot. I also looked at their new offering, a pod machine from Canada called the SunCafe. It was good except the water reservoir was too small. It reminded me of my Melita 1:1.

The Keurig coffee was good. Now I must decide to stick with pods or go with a keurig. what to do...what to do.... :?:

Given time you will do what most do... buy multiple machines/kinds... so its not as hard of a question as it may seem LOL Just look at everyone's auto-signature. :)
Vincent
VydorScope

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews