Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig power consumption

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig power consumption

Postby jbviau » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:45 pm

I saw this post over at the K-cup Exchange and thought it was really interesting re: the cost per cup in terms of electricity and the issue of whether or not to leave your Keurig on all day long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a device that was designed to measure electricity usage in real time and demonstrate the many ways our appliances waste energy. I used it to find the answers to the following questions.

1: How much power does a Keurig consume if left on all day?

2: How much does it cost to brew a cup of coffee with a Keurig?

And for comparison...

3: How much does it cost to brew a cup of coffee with a Mister Coffee?

Using my Keurig Model B60 and 12 cup Mister Coffee I made the measurements and here are the results.***

1: How much power does a Keurig consume if left on all day?

Starting from a warm machine I left the B60 on for a 12 hour period. My meter displayed that it would cost only 1/3 cent per hour or approx 8 cents per 24 hour day to just leave the Keurig on.

The Details: The B60 uses 17 watts/.14 amps of electricity when left on but not brewing. Probably for the display. Every minute or so the heater comes on and current spikes to 420 watts for a few seconds as it maintains the internal reservoir water temperature.

2: How much does it cost to brew a cup of coffee with a Keurig?

I then did a second test making 4 large cups of coffee ( 9.75 oz) starting from a cold machine and turning it off after 1 hour. The total cost for running a B60 for 1 hour and brewing 4 cups during that hour was almost 2 cents or approx 1/2 cent per cup.

The Details: Upon startup the B60 draws 1290 watts/10.75 amps for about a minute. While brewing a cup it varies from a low of 420 watts to a high of 1290 watts as it takes water from the external reservoir and heats it or holds it for the next cup. Between cups it draws 17 watts at noted before.

A Surprise........My Keurig B60 turned off but left plugged in still draws 9 watts continuously which would cost about 38 cents per month.

3: How much does it cost to brew a cup of coffee with a Mister Coffee?

I brewed a 12 cup (60 oz.) pot of coffee and kept it warm for 4 hours. The brewing cycle plus the first hour costs 3 cents and about a 1 cent per hour to keep a pot warm.

I remembered that the Keurig systems let you set your water temp, but not my MrC. So I measured the water temp of a fresh made pot and it was only 172 degrees. Hummmm?!

The Details: From startup till first pot brewed the MrC draws 900 watts/7.6 amps. Afterward every few minutes while warming the pot it cycles from 8 to 900 watts and .06 amps to 7.6 amps.

Further testing revealed it still uses 8 watts/.06 amps when turned off. So like the Keurig it costs about 1 cent per day if you leave it plugged in.

***These numbers are taken from a Model4460 KillAWatt Power Meter. Some of these readings were pretty low and one could get better results with longer test periods. The dollar amounts are based upon my electricity costs of 13.4 cents per kilowatt hour which are high for VA and US averages. Look on your bill to find your cost. Some bills show electricity rates as 2 numbers, if yours does, you must add the costs of both electric production and electric distribution together to determine the real total. Heres a link to the average state costs for electricity... http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricit ... 5_6_a.html

Happy Brewing
Al (user name = Margo & Al)
Last edited by jbviau on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby VydorScope » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:05 am

I would be interested in hearing his Mr Coffee comparison... can you link the thread?
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby jbviau » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:42 am

Wish I could, but you have to be a member to view it. It's more of a bulletin board than a forum (no "threads" per se). There hasn't been a follow-up yet. If I see it, I'll cross-post it here.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Ok, Al posted his Mr. Coffee update along with a few changes to the original report. I pasted over the text of the first post in this thread, so give it another read if you're interested for the most current info.
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Re: Keurig power consumption

Postby redwun » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:52 am

actually i did some more tests on power usage of the keurig b60 which were more of longer term test. i will post the results soon
redwun

Postby jbviau » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 am

Oh good. Welcome!
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby redwun » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:24 am

Ok i did some actual real world tests on a Keurig B60 this is what i came up with. it cost a lot more that 1cent per day like i've read in some other posts and sites. more like 5-40cents per day +-.
ok so making about 1-3 cups per day give or take ....

auto off after 1hr = (5.6kwh used in 366hrs ) = 134.109 kwh/yr @ 15cents per kwh = cost $20.1 /year

left on continuous = ( 23kwh used in 190hrs ) = 1061.026 kwh/yr @ 15cents per kwh = cost $159.1 /year

roughly 5 times more cost leaving it on all the time as opposed to setting auto off after 1hr or unplugging it better yet it only take a min to heat up .

Ok just multiply your avg kilowatt hour price by 134 or 1,061 to get approx cost per year
auto off 134.109 kwh/yr
left on continuous 1061.026 kwh/yr

ok where i live in central NY its about $0.15 / kwh ,its robbery if u ask me and i know someone just told me. an insider on power company is actually dumping excess power.
i took my average monthly bill a ridiculous $220 and divided by my mothly usage in KWh
came up with approx. 15 cents/kwh +- with taxes and surcharges . we pay more now in taxes and surcharges then we do for the actual electric used. my bill was around $130/month 3-5 yrs ago and im switched over to energy efficient bulbs in entire house I'm using less power now getting charged more $ .WTF

auto off after 1hr = (5.6kwh used in 366hrs ) = 134.109 kwh/yr @ 15cents per kwh = cost $20.1 /year

left on continuous = ( 23kwh used in 190hrs ) = 1061.026 kwh/yr @ 15cents per kwh = cost $159.1 /year

if anyone finds an error let me know
redwun

Postby jbviau » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:35 pm

redwun wrote:auto off after 1hr = (5.6kwh used in 366hrs ) = 134.109 kwh/yr @ 15cents per kwh = cost $20.1 /year

if anyone finds an error let me know

Interesting. Could you clarify how you estimated the yearly usage with auto off? The 5.6 kWh gets multiplied by 23.94 to arrive at 134.109 kWh/year, but I'm not sure why. Oh, I think I get it. Did you have the B60 set to turn on once per day for an hour and then measure over 366 hours continuously? That's 15.25 days, and 15.25 x 23.94 gives you a full year's worth of days. How many cups did you brew during that 15-day span? Also, what meter were you using, just out of curiosity?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby Renaldow » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Very interesting post. Thanks for the info, I was a bit curious on this.
Renaldow

Postby redwun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 pm

sure i used my P3 kill-a-watt to measure total kwh used under normal conditions
ok i plugged in my keurig and left it plugged in and set program it to always shut off after 1hr. i went about my normal day. manual hit power on in the am. brewed usually 1 k cups sometimes 2 and maybe one in the afternoon , so about 1-3 kcups. i kept it plugged in for about 15days approx 366hrs and it read on the display that i used approx 5.6kwh . so i divided 5.6 by 366 to give me the hourly usage = (0.01530kwh/hr) then multiplied hr usage by the hrs per year(8,765 hrs/yr) to come up with ~ 134kwh /yr .
now taking a longer reading say a whole month test would probably get a better average but im guessing it would probably be close to same i'm curious to see what someone else's meter would read doing their normal coffee routine for say a few weeks.

now for the left on continuous i only ran the test for 190hours and used 23kwh so...
23kwh divided by 190hrs = (0.12105kwh/hr) times 8,765 hrs/yr) ~ 1,061kwh /yr
its been while since i've been in math class lol

now hitting the power off button on brewer right after its done brewing would probably be even more $ saved.
(is what i am going to try now )no need to leave it on for an hour)
i just set auto off in case i forget to turn it off. unplugging would be the best but i know i would forget and leave it plugged in half the time if i get bored ill do an unplug test heeeee
redwun

Postby redwun » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:57 pm

to test anything that is a constant draw such as standard incandescent light bulb or toaster you can get results from your meter relatively quick or almost instant for a continuous use left on all the time. for things that vary in power consumption most all things in you house you must use extended test to get a good reading even for things that are constant power draw unless they are on 24/7/365 you are much better off testing for a few weeks + or so. like your refrigerator , (computer station printers monitors sleep-mode etc) if you want accurate readings i would do extended tests. ie if you test you refrigerator when the compressor is actually chilling and running you will get totally different value than if its not running but its still on.

i noted that my computer power strip with all stuff plugged in uses more than my refrigerator uses in one month
redwun

Postby alex2014 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:04 am

I would like to clarify this topic because you started pretty well and the numbers made sense in the beginning, but after that you started with some measurements that got me confused. Briefly, you said that if we leave our keurig on for 24 hrs we spend around 8 cents per day, and this is without brewing any cup. If we do brew up to 4 cups a day it will cost us another 2 cents. Total with brewing and the machine on for 24 hr means 10 cents spent in electricity per day. One year=365 days
365 days*10 cents= 3650 cents
3650 cents/100= $36.50 per year which roughly thinking makes a lot of sense.

Now, how did you come up with $159 per year cost?

Please clarify it, thanks.
alex2014

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines