Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig Longevity

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig Longevity

Postby gabriel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 pm

After deciding to join the Single Serve Coffee revolution I bought a Keurig B50 just before Christmas of 2005. My wife and I were very happy with it. Then sometime in late summer of 2006 it started acting odd. It occasionally would brew just an ounce or two, then go back to brewing normally. I cleaned it out as best I could and descaled it. Things would seem fine, then it would go back to working sporadically, not making full cups, etc.

I contacted Keurig customer service and after just a few minutes of discussion, they sent me a new unit since the old one was still under warranty.

It's been about a year and a half since then, and now we're having issues again. Every so often it would get temperamental and act like the previous one had; brewing very small amounts or not at all. We don't use filtered water, but I try to descale regularly.

This morning, it seems to have died completely. Shutting the lid brings up the brew selection icons, but pushing either button makes it go right back into the 'READY' state. The 'Menu' button doesn't seem to work at all. I haven't heard the pump engage at all. I've cleaned out the needles, turned it off for a couple hours and turned it back on, but nothing works. It seems dead.

I haven't called Keurig, which is on my to-do list for tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes. At best I'm guessing I might get a discount on a new model.

My question is, is a new Keurig the right choice? I've been pretty happy with it, and we're still pretty well vested in K-cups. I'm just a little nervous about having an appliance which has failed twice in a couple of years.

I'm curious as what other long term Keurig users think. Are there people out there who have had trouble free service for years? Or is my situation not that uncommon? I can buy a $10 toaster that will probably work until my house falls down. Granted, a Keurig unit is considerably more complicated, with a lot more electronics and moving parts, but still. If it conked out after maybe 5 years, I'd feel a little better. Then again, I have computers which are still going strong after 10 years, and they're pretty complex.
gabriel

Postby coolied » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 pm

I'd go with a new Keurig, and start using filtered water with it....... Grab a Brita pitcher, or one of the screw-on faucet adaptors (I have the PUR 3-stage; the aerator on it for the normal faucet use is better than the one that came with my sink); It may be some deposits are forming that are too hard for the scale remover to remove............ or it's actually causing the pump to fail............. depending on the drop size you most commonly use (assuming 7.5oz) you may be able to get by with a B40; that does 7.5 and 9.5 if i'm not mistaken.......... and you can find them for less than $99 if you look............
Keurig B70
Drinker Of Much Coffee!!!!!!!!
coolied

Hmmm

Postby gabriel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:42 am

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

I turned it on this morning for one last attempt at making it work, and I was able to set the clock, which wasn't working yesterday for some reason.

When I pushed the larger brew button, the pump made a feeble burp, but at least it started. I tried half a dozen more times, getting the same result. A half-second burp of the pump with a splash of water, and it reverting to a 'READY' state.

Then I tried the smaller brew cycle, and it actually seemed to go through a whole cycle, time wise, though no water came out. After a second or third time, at the very end of the cycle, it belched out maybe 3 oz of water.

After some coaxing, it finally started putting out respectable amounts of water. Then the DE-SCALE notice popped up, which hadn't been there before.

So I pulled out the vinegar and went to work. It now seems to be working pretty well. I in the 4-hour waiting period, letting the vinegar do its work, but things look hopeful.

Perhaps it's nothing to do with Keurig quality, but my crappy water and poor maintenance habits.
gabriel

Re: Keurig Longevity

Postby PrincessV » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am

gabriel wrote:I can buy a $10 toaster that will probably work until my house falls down.

I'd like to know where you get that toaster. Ours fail regularly (by fail, I mean that the thermostat becomes useless, having only two settings, stale and burnt...)
PrincessV

Postby MichFan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:33 pm

I've had my B60 for 2.5 years. It's been great. Haven't even had to descale it yet.
MichFan

Re: Hmmm

Postby coolied » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:51 pm

gabriel wrote:Perhaps I spoke too soon.

I turned it on this morning for one last attempt at making it work, and I was able to set the clock, which wasn't working yesterday for some reason.

When I pushed the larger brew button, the pump made a feeble burp, but at least it started. I tried half a dozen more times, getting the same result. A half-second burp of the pump with a splash of water, and it reverting to a 'READY' state.

Then I tried the smaller brew cycle, and it actually seemed to go through a whole cycle, time wise, though no water came out. After a second or third time, at the very end of the cycle, it belched out maybe 3 oz of water.

After some coaxing, it finally started putting out respectable amounts of water. Then the DE-SCALE notice popped up, which hadn't been there before.

So I pulled out the vinegar and went to work. It now seems to be working pretty well. I in the 4-hour waiting period, letting the vinegar do its work, but things look hopeful.

Perhaps it's nothing to do with Keurig quality, but my crappy water and poor maintenance habits.

sounds like the ORIGINAL problem may have been a badly clogged injector needle, be it with deposits or grounds......... better water habits couldn't hurt though........... if this happens again, jam an unbent paperclip in the injector (upper) needle......... you have to jam it in there pretty good to clear a major clog, then it should brew normally....... (it may take a couple of brews to get the drop sizes back to normal, as the 'misfires' tend to confuse it a bit)
Keurig B70
coolied

Postby g00g01p1ex » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:49 am

We have had the B50 for 2 years at a house in the country. Due to past experiences, we knew that well water can quickly build up mineral deposits on other appliances, so we have only used drinking water purchased at local grocery store (usually get the 2 1/2 gallon jug with spout and keep on shelf near the B50). We have never had to descale the B50. At the place we commute from in town, we have the B60 and use tap water. We have had this model for over 1 1/2 years, and have not needed to descale this model either. We absolutely love our Keurigs! We love the flexibility of using the reusable filters with coffee not available in K-Cups in addition to the wide variety of coffees available in K-Cups. We have had many friends and family members so enjoy getting a cup of coffee made just for them, that they have gone and joined the league of Keurig owners. Most recent addition was my brother, and he is a big Starbuck's fan! He found that the reusable filter lets him make a strong cup of coffee to his liking. Highly recommend staying with Keurig, but make sure you use water that will not lead to mineral buildup within the machine (you may actually find the coffee flavor improved with better water!)
g00g01p1ex

Re: Hmmm

Postby JaxFLBear » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:57 pm

gabriel wrote:Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Honestly, vinegar is not strong enough to descale a coffee maker. You really need to get a product like dezcal.
Michael
Keurig B30 Mini (Black)
Keurig B100
Keurig V700
JaxFLBear

Postby Alice2 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:10 am

Vinegar's been working fine for me.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

It's Broken Again

Postby gabriel » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:32 am

So a day or so after it seemed like it was working fine again, it stopped. After pushing a brew button nothing happens and the 'READY' notice comes right back on. I usually mess with it for five minutes, then give up and turn it off. At some point a day or two later I'll turn it back on, the the pump will be working in fits and starts, but since it's running at all, I'll try another descaling. After a good cleaning it'll seem like it's working ok.

Then it'll start not working all over again.

I've gone through this cycle four times since my first post. I'm at the point now where even if it started working perfectly again, I'd just be waiting for the morning it's going to fail again.

I noticed that the manual calls for descaling every 6 months, whether the machine says to or not. For those of you that have had your machines for years without ever cleaning it, you might want to take some preventative maintenance before it conks out.

As for me, I did finally call Keurig but they weren't too helpful. I was hoping for some secret super hard-core descaling tactic that they don't tell the general public. I need the 'Shock and Awe' of descaling. Since I'm planning on ditching the unit anyway, what should I try? Someone mentioned dezcal, which I've never heard of. How about CLR? As long as it doesn't eat through the water lines I'll give it a shot.

So, anyone have any advanced cleaning techniques they'd like to share?
gabriel

Postby coolied » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:46 am

i dunno about CLR, but remember, some chemicals are toxic and can leave a harmful residue, i'd make darn sure whatever you decide to use is safe to use in coffeemakers (do NOT try and use carafe descaler, it's toxic)..........
Keurig B70
coolied

Postby Alice2 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:58 pm

I had a friend who didn't descale his Keurig til it refused to work anymore, and he had to do the straight white vinegar descale with a four-hour wait (to let the vinegar soak up the cruddies!) each time twice.

It worked like a charm, though.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Re: Keurig Longevity

Postby gabriel » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:35 pm

PrincessV wrote:
gabriel wrote:I can buy a $10 toaster that will probably work until my house falls down.

I'd like to know where you get that toaster. Ours fail regularly (by fail, I mean that the thermostat becomes useless, having only two settings, stale and burnt...)

I stand corrected. It was probably $20. It has been going strong for almost nine years, though, and it still makes great toast.
gabriel

Postby gabriel » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:43 pm

Alice2 wrote:I had a friend who didn't descale his Keurig til it refused to work anymore, and he had to do the straight white vinegar descale with a four-hour wait (to let the vinegar soak up the cruddies!) each time twice.

It worked like a charm, though.

The problem is that it won't work at all. If the pump won't come on, there's no way to get any sort of descaling solution into it.

I just went ahead and bought a new B60, which seems fine except for the stupid LED under the water reservoir. Who was the design genius who came up with that? It's like the stupid laptop I just bought for my wife that is absolutely COVERED with blue LEDs that do nothing but blink and annoy me when I'm trying to use it.
gabriel

Postby TheFatKid » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:59 pm

Please do not speak ill of the glorious blue lights sir :lol:
I'M NOT FAT I'M RETAINING COFFEE!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Fat Kid
Bosch Tassimo
Senseo (II)
TheFatKid

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines