Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig Latte Recipes????

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig Latte Recipes????

Postby TikiTime » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:58 pm

I have the B50 and I LOVE latte's. Does anyone have a recipe or suggestions on how to make a latte (minus the steaming of the milk/cream - too much work to steam it).

I have a bunch of k-cups on order....so far I have only used the 8 oz. setting and use a splash of 1/2 & 1/2.

Would you recomend an extra bold k-cup? maybe the 6 oz. setting? What kind of milk/creamer?

I am wanting a Starbuck's type latte... surely someone out there has tried this already??

Thanks
TikiTime

Postby Lisa Simpson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:37 am

Starbucks makes lattes with espresso, so to replicate it at home with a Keurig might be tough. My husband like Vietnamese-style coffee, which is very strong coffee with sweetened condensed milk added. The Van Houtte Kenya Killamanjaro brewed on the smallest setting works well for that. Making a latte may be similar.

I would say you need to experiment with extra bold kcups on the smallest setting to find one you like.
Lisa Simpson

Postby Sacman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi TikiTime

Lisa makes a good point. You are not going to be able to make a true Latte from the Keurig. I use the Timothy's Rainforest Espresso Bold and steamed milk to make my Latte's. Again not a true Latte but given the savings in time and money, cetainly and acceptable alternative. If you are not into steaming your milk - try heating it in the microwave.

Sacman
Sacman

Postby TikiTime » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi Sacman...

when you make your mock lattes with Espresso Bold, do you make the 6 oz or 8 oz setting? Also - roughly how much steamed milk?

I have been putting 2-3 oz of milk n the microwave to heat it up... works well enough for me...but still trying to the coffee aspect correct.
TikiTime

Postby JustLeft » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:55 pm

If latte's are your thing, I would have recommended a Tassimo. It makes an 'americanized' latte.
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
Keurig B60 - $199 (Sold eBay)
Bunn My Cafe - $199 (Sold eBay)
Tassimo - $169 (Sold eBay)
Wife who puts up with my coffee habit - priceless
JustLeft

Postby Porphyra » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:07 pm

JustLeft wrote:If latte's are your thing, I would have recommended a Tassimo. It makes an 'americanized' latte.

What exactly is an americanized latte?
Porphyra

Latte

Postby Maxine Aaronson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm not a Keurig owner so I can't comment on which coffee to use or at what setting, but I can comment on the hot milk, since you are already microwaving it.

I microwave some in my mug first (have actually figured out how to get it 140 degrees, more or less). Then I use my Aerolatte (a hand held battery frother available at BBB for around $20) to froth the hot milk. I then brew a more concentrated than normal (i.e. less water) cup in on top of the frothed milk. Yummy!

You may be able to get this little gadget cheaper on the web somewhere. I used a 20% off BBB coupon on mine. I actually use it a couple of times a week.

Maxine
Currently own:
Bunn My Cafe (x2 -- office and home)
Nespresso Pixie (office)
Nespresso Essenza (home)
Single Serve French Press (camping)
Maxine Aaronson

Postby Sacman » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Tiki

I typically use the 8 oz size with 5oz of 2% milk. This leaves my travel mug just below full so I don't spill all over myself on the way to work :lol:

Sacman
Sacman

Postby TikiTime » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:03 pm

JustLeft.... I tried the Tassimo...the lattes left ALOT to be desired. Real milk works so much better. But thanks for the suggestion.... I really wanted the Tassimo - but felt that the Keurig is a better product for my wants/needs.

Maxine...thansk for the input on the frother. I just saw one yesterday at Pottery Barn on clearance for $9.99...gotta go grab it today!
TikiTime

Postby JustLeft » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:54 pm

It is my term for what most of my friends and relatives think is a latte, but is really diluted and very sweet. For instance, a shot of espresso from a Tassimo has little comparison to a shot of espresso that is pulled from an espresso machine. The Tassimo produces a diluted shot of coffee with no crema. I know the Tassimo will produce bubbles, but this is not crema from a properly pulled shot. Further, frothing milk is a another conversation, with various techniques required to produce the microbubbles that many serious latte drinkers expect. The Tassimo while it does froth milk is not comparable to what would be done by a good barista. That said, my wife, kids, in-laws, and many friends like what the Tassimo produces. My friends that are from Italy know the difference, and are not happy with the Tassimo shots.

What exactly is an americanized latte?[/quote]
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
JustLeft

Postby Porphyra » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:37 pm

So does a Starbuck's latte come close to the real McCoy, for instance?

Or does one have to go to the PNW to experience anything remotely close to the real Italian version?
Porphyra

Postby TikiTime » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Aerolatte Frother...in an earlier post I said I saw it at Pottery Barn... I was wrong. It is at Restoration hardware. They were out of the $9.99 clearance ones (they were last years model).

The current model which is stainless steel and comes with a stand had a sticker price of $24.95 - but rang up $19.00 at the register. This is cheap for this model. Everywhere online has it for $29.99... that is a $10 savings and no shipping if you live near a Restoration Hardware.

Thought I would pass on the info.
TikiTime

Postby JustLeft » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:03 pm

TikiTime, you hit it right - it's not great, but a Keurig can't make a latte. I own both machines, as well as a Bunn that is being returned to the manufacturer because of a defect. I like the coffee that the Keurig makes much better than the Tassimo. Just use the Tassimo for cappuccinos. Neither of these machines is capable of producing real espresso, but that is a whole different discussion. Hope you get the frother.

TikiTime wrote:JustLeft.... I tried the Tassimo...the lattes left ALOT to be desired. Real milk works so much better. But thanks for the suggestion.... I really wanted the Tassimo - but felt that the Keurig is a better product for my wants/needs.

Maxine...thansk for the input on the frother. I just saw one yesterday at Pottery Barn on clearance for $9.99...gotta go grab it today!
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
JustLeft

Postby JustLeft » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Porphyra,

This is a discussion that could go on and on. I have gone to the side of true coffee obsession (the real dark side) and come back. I found that my zeal for perfection cost me a ton of time, and wasn't appreciated by others in my family. The real coffee obsessed crowd consider Starbucks to be to coffee what McDonalds is to food. However I like Starbucks. I have found that it all depends on the barista at the Starbucks. Some Starbucks are using automated machines to pull their shots. These shots are never bad, never great, just average. Go to a Starbucks where they still have the old machines, get the right barista, and you have a great espresso (or cappuccino or latte). It's when they dump in all the other sweets that their drink strays. Other factors in the quality of the drink are selecting the right bean, roasting, grinding, tamping pressure, pulling a shot, and frothing milk. But I am over with this stuff now and I am returning to the light!

One last thing to watch for when you order - when they pull a shot it should take around 20-25 seconds. Anything faster or slower is going to produce a lousy espresso. When the shot is being pulled, the coffee should appear like the tail of a rat (I'm not kidding) dangline into the shot glass. A thick head (crema) should appear, about 1/8 inch think, on top of the shot.

Hope I answered your question.

Porphyra wrote:So does a Starbuck's latte come close to the real McCoy, for instance?

Or does one have to go to the PNW to experience anything remotely close to the real Italian version?
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
JustLeft

Postby DeepUgh » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:39 am

IKEA sells a battery-operated frother for $1.99. I've been using one for a couple of years - works for me!
DeepUgh

Next

Return to Coffee Talk