Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Keurig 2.0 can't brew carafe

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Keurig 2.0 can't brew carafe

Postby jsgossamer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:26 am

So I purchased a keurig k550 from qvc. Every time I try to brew a carafe, it asks for more water, even though the reservoir is full. I've removed and put back the tank 100 times like instructed in the trouble shooting manual to no avail. Very frustrated. Like the machine otherwise. Anyone else have this problem?
jsgossamer

Re: Keurig 2.0 can't brew carafe

Postby jsgossamer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:26 pm

So I called keurig and they sent me a new water reservoir, which naturally didn't fix the problem. So, they send me out a new brewer. Great customer service. However, the new brewer is defective also! This one I couldn even get passed the set up stage! It says to add water even though the reservoir is full. They obviously have a batch of defective ones. They are sending me yet another new one. If this doesn't work, then I'm done with this machine. I have the original defective one set up because at least it brews single k cups. Buyer beware.
jsgossamer

Postby jsgossamer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Caine wrote:The manual says to remove and put back the tank 100 times? Are you sure you counted correctly?

Smarty pants!
jsgossamer

Postby wdh1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Suggest you make sure the water level is above the carafe fill line on the tank. Touching "continue" on the display should clear the add water message.

Dave
wdh1

Postby jsgossamer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Dave. Yes, if the machine wasn't defective, this would work. It tells me to add water when the reservoir is to the maximum fill level. Pressing continue does nothing.. A Google search indicates that others have had this same issue. Tonight I received replacement number 2, which is a k500 instead of the k550. It made it through the set up process fine. I will try to brew a carafe tomorrow.
jsgossamer

Postby daninnj » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:45 pm

The 500 and 550 are the same machine; the 550 just comes with more sample K/carafe cups.
daninnj

Postby rahl1972 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:29 pm

In the time I have had machines I have gotten a bad Bunn, Senseo (2 times), and a Keurig Rivo. It happens. Keurig is usually very good about taking care of any issues as long as the machine is under warranty.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Breville One Touch tea maker
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine
rahl1972

Postby jsgossamer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:20 am

Just an fyi, I'm on my third defective 500 series 2.0, all with the very same issue. So done with the 2.0s. complete wSt of money. Should have stuck with my platinum.
jsgossamer

Postby kranky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:36 am

FYI - had this issue, turned out my water was too clean.

There is a sensor in the unit that looks for minerals in the water to know the reservoir level. I was using purified water that had no minerals. When I switched to bottled drinking water, it worked fine.

Hope that helps someone.
kranky

Postby reynaalicia1214 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I am curious to see if anyone has fixed this issue without replacing the machine? Mine just started this issue this morning...very frustrating....It's not even a month old. I guess I should have kept my old one :(
reynaalicia1214

Postby bshoe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 pm

I have the 2.0 and it will not fill a full carafe also. I always use the 4-5 cup setting and it will dispense different amounts (12 oz., 16 oz. sometimes 20 oz.).
Customer Service has sent me 2 replacements and they all have the same issue.
Most recently when I called, they sent me the Stainless Steel Carafe. The Keurig's continued to do the same thing.
What do I do? I guess call them and they will send me another one to try....
bshoe

Postby mbryda » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Same here with my K560 from Costco. That and the clock gains about 10 minutes a week. The clock thing is no big deal as I don't really use it. But the carafe thing is annoying. Maybe one of these days I'll call Keurig but it seems that the new machines still don't work right.
mbryda

Postby coffeedude » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Very easy solution to this issue providing that your water reservoir does not have a plugged valve in the bottom of it and that the receptacle valve in the base is clean.
First a little info. then why and how to solve it.
Fyi:

Whats happening with this advanced version of the 2.0 line has to do with light wavelength frequency, similar to the dreaded Oops copy protection scheme Keurig uses in its 2.0 brewers to foil you from using other pods other than the ones made for the 2.0 Keruig line of brewers. The same technology is also used on the water tank but a different light wavelength is used and it looks at the water differently in that it actually reads the water level in the reservoir when it looks at the water.

The are two main problems or issues: one is the quality of the water the sensor is looking at...IT the Keurig 2.0 brewers Actually prefers water that has minerals and other impurities in it >that is the kind of water it is looking for and if it is to clear as in Distilled water or Purified water or exceptionally clean filtered water then the Keurig 2.0 it will not let you make carafe and you will get the message add more water when the reservoir is already full.

The second problem is that if you do use water, like tap water or filtered water or mineral water, hard water, soft water you will actually shorten the life of your 2.0 Keurig coffee brewer. Why? BOILER FAILURE ( because boiler failure is caused by scaling )and the waters I've listed will indeed scale up your boiler inside the Keurig 2.0 brewer or any brewer for that matter over time. What about Descaling it works but just prolongs the inevitable - the boiler will eventually still scale up because Descaling never gets it all But now for the solution the solves scaling almost perfectly

Solution: Use Distilled water or Purified water (Purified is not filtered water as some may think actually it is very close to Distilled water ) to which you will need just one-drop per gallon, yes one-drop of McCormick food coloring dye - I've used Red and Green and Blue and all work- just add to a gallon of Distilled water or Purified water and shake well then recap bottle until your ready to use and your sensor will see the water in your reservoir. This will solve the message of add more water when your tank is already full and prevent the scaling of your Brewer.

History - I'm a technician and have worked with Keurig on this issue and made this working fix - Keurig should have made the sensor able to read and use any type of water -my opinion 8)
coffeedude

Postby kbachler » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 pm

I found a simple solution.

There is a sensor light under the water tank. This is the light that the device uses to check and see if there is water in the tank. If the water is too clean, the sensor won't detect the water. The light is cool to the touch.

Take a small piece of paper towel, which is translucent, and place under the water tank on top of the light. This fools the sensor into thinking there is water in the tank, and keeps very clean water in the Keurig. I haven't tested this long enough to see if the sensor can still detect an empty tank or not, or if the size of the paper makes a difference. Until I do, I'll just have to not be foolish about the water.
kbachler

Postby kbachler » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 am

The brewer still detected when the water was too low, after applying the fix outlined in the previous post.

I am adding some keywords here to help others find this solution.

Keurig 2.0
more water please
too clean
asks for more water
carafe
troubleshooting
kbachler

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines