Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

K-cup vs. Pod

The most frequently discussed single serve coffee threads along with other important threads

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

K-cups or Pods

My K-cup runneth over.
67%
Nother cup of jo, Podner.
33%

Total votes : 70

Postby coffeecat » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:18 pm

RikkiMama wrote:black vs whoosies (cream/creamer; sugar/sugar substitute)

I think you mean 'wusses' dont you? :)
Well, thats how we say it.

Mandy
* Keurig B60 * Keurig B50 * Bunn My Cafe
* Bodum French Press * Cuisinart Drip Brewer
* Kitchen Aid Proline Burr Grinder
* Convection Oven/Stir Crazy Roasting Combo
* AeroPress
coffeecat

Postby Alice2 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Aaaah, I get it ! Wussies don't drink their coffee black!

I like to put whoosies in my coffee, myself. Not cream, tho'.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby The Lone Podster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:56 pm

Dang! I need to learn how to speak Coffeeonics.
Grindmaster OPOD x2 (retired)
Freshroast Plus 8, HG/BM roaster
Behmor 1600
Bodum Brazil 12 oz. French Press
Bodum Bistro Double Wall 34 oz. French Press
Eva Solo CafeSolo, Clever Coffee Dripper
Technivorm KBT 741
Baratza Maestro Plus
The Lone Podster

Postby Maniac » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:47 pm

I actually prefer the Keurig to my simplehuman. I prefer my Nespresso over both of them.
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Postby Marci » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:50 pm

ericw55 wrote:
LarryH wrote:i'd have to vote for both, too. My Bunn and pods for coffee. My Keurig for a doorstop or paperweight.

You kill me :lol: :lol: :lol:
So tell me, LarryH, does your taste in wine lean towards dry, and acerbic?

No, "It's you're killing me Larry!" Maybe that is just a SoCa commerical that is stupid and no one will get it. :cry:

Larry~
My SO loved your "My taste in wine leans towards Vodka" so much he stole it and now it's his signature for a forum that he is on!
Maybe you need to copyright it. :P
OPOD & Romeo
Marci

Postby The Lone Podster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:20 pm

And remember, one must be careful not to bruise the potato.
Grindmaster OPOD x2 (retired)
Freshroast Plus 8, HG/BM roaster
Behmor 1600
Bodum Brazil 12 oz. French Press
Bodum Bistro Double Wall 34 oz. French Press
Eva Solo CafeSolo, Clever Coffee Dripper
Technivorm KBT 741
Baratza Maestro Plus
The Lone Podster

Postby coffeecat » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:34 pm

ericw55 wrote:And remember, one must be careful not to bruise the potato.

me confused :? :oops:
mandy
* Keurig B60 * Keurig B50 * Bunn My Cafe
* Bodum French Press * Cuisinart Drip Brewer
* Kitchen Aid Proline Burr Grinder
* Convection Oven/Stir Crazy Roasting Combo
* AeroPress
coffeecat

Postby sbrinson » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:06 pm

Long time Bunn user...But my vote is for k-cups. They are both great, but k-cups are just about perfect for me!
sbrinson

Postby coffeeplayer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:17 pm

My favorite cup of coffee to drink over the last several weeks has been a brew of Van Houtte Eclipse X-bold made in the Keurig B-50. That being said, based on the current coffee selection in X-bold K-cups I'd have to say I prefer the Bunn My Cafe hands down.

I've tried the Green Mountain and Tully's K-cup Sampler Packs as well as some single flavor boxes of K-cups and the only two K-cups I really like to brew up in the Keurig B-50 are the Van Houtte Eclipse X-Bold which I like a lot and the Green Mountain French Roast which I like a little, but would probably like a lot if it were X-bold because I like to brew 7.25oz at a time and it's a little weak at this setting. Also, so far my two favorite coffees in general are light roast Kona Blends and light roast Columbian coffees neither of which are available in X-Bold K-cups.

There are a lot more varieties of pods out there than there are X-Bold K-cups so I have been able to find more coffees I like to brew in the Bunn than in the Keurig. In addition, pods that give me a bad brew in my Senseo can give me a descent brew in my Bunn. Somehow the Bunn seems to bring out the best flavors in the pods; flavors that you don't get with the Senseo. Thus, the Bunn seems to have a large sweet spot that allows you to get a good cup of coffee with a larger variety of pods compared to the Senseo and compared to the K-cups available for the Keurig B-50. I'm concerned that while I like the Van Houtte Eclipse X-Bold K-cup a lot that I will eventually want to switch to something else, but there is really nothing else out there that I would want to switch to; whereas with the Bunn I have a lot of different varieties I like and can switch to.

I think a good analogy is the way certain golf clubs have a larger sweet spot than others which allows you to make a good hit more often. In the same way the Bunn has a larger sweet spot than either the Senseo or the Keurig in my opinion.

If Keurig came out with a larger selection of X-bold K-cups in light, medium and dark roast then the Keurig system might win my heart over, but for now the Bunn has my heart; although I cheat on it a little bit with my Keurig, but don't tell my Bunn. :lol:
Last edited by coffeeplayer on Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeeplayer

Postby coffeeplayer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:37 pm

As a follow up to my post just posted, I thought I should add that I drink my coffee black.

I think another variable to the question of "Which do you prefer, pods or K-cups?" might possibly be whether or not people drink their coffee black or add some sweetener or cream. I wonder if black coffee drinkers prefer one system or the other by much?

There may be a lot more K-cups that I would like if I added sweetener to the brew, but that's not the way I drink my coffee. For example I like chocolate made with sugar, but I'm told chocolate by itself is bitter and I probably would not enjoy it; thus maybe a little sweetener to some K-cup brews might make all the difference in the world and increase the number of K-cups I like by 10 fold, but I like my coffee clean with no sweetener.

I would like to add that I am grateful to Green Mountain for their generous free B-50 offer and that I intend to drink the Van Houtte Eclipse X-Bold and on occassion the Green Mountain French Roast. I am also eagerly awaiting new X-bold K-cup releases which I hope will make my taste buds dance with delight. If I had it to do over again I would still go for the free B-50 offer, since like I said I am enjoying the Eclipse a lot and I am glad I own both the Keurig B-50 and the Bunn. The Keurig is definitely adding variety and enjoyment to my coffee drinking experience. I know, so would a litte Kahlua in my coffee, but I don't like the hangovers much :lol:
coffeeplayer

Postby Marci » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:08 am

CoffeePlayer~

You really have to try Tully's French Roast of you like VH Eclipse. It is my second favorite after the Eclipse (or it might even be first). I also like the GM Sumatran too.
OPOD & Romeo
Marci

Postby up_all_night » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Marci and CoffeePlayer: I am a fan of the Eclipse, too, it's my favorite--but I have finally gotten to try Gloria Jeans's Black Gold. I highly recommend it to you. It's an Extra Bold, too.
current line-up:

the almighty Opod
My Little Red Senseo
Keurig B-50
Starbucks Quattro +blade grinder
up_all_night

Postby up_all_night » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:34 pm

I voted for Keurig. (THANK YOU GMCR!! ) Eric, since I have a Senseo, I think I fall right in line with your theory.

I want to say that I still love my Senseo, and crave a good "Senseo"-style coffee once a day or so. And my best friend, who comes over almost every day, always wants a Senseo coffee or two. So Little Red is still getting plenty of love.

I also want to say that I am DEFINITELY planning on getting a Bunn My Cafe the very first minute that I can afford it. I have GOT to find out just how good it can make those pods taste.

Suzy
current line-up:

the almighty Opod
My Little Red Senseo
Keurig B-50
Starbucks Quattro +blade grinder
up_all_night

Postby Bucfanmike » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:44 pm

K-cup versus all my previous pod machines - Hands down would be K-cup

Krups pod machine vs k-cup.. can't choose love them both.

I have to fight back the envy to get the bunn
Hi, Im Mike and I have an addiction...
i have tried them all and ended up with:
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Grindmaster OPOD, Toddy Cold Press, Cuisinart ss-1
and now home roasting with HG/BM method
Bucfanmike

Postby mommyluvsnoah » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:02 pm

I can't really answer this poll with completely authority because I decided not to take advantage of the Green Mt offer so I have never tried the K-cups.

However, I can say that between my Bunn and the pods from Bk MT Gold, Baronets, Flava Pods, Betterpods, Timothys, Podhead, Aloha Island, etc I am getting everything I want or expect from a cup of coffee. I really don't need anything more or different and I still have so many more pods to try.

I actually drink my coffee with cream and sweetener and I like to still be able to taste the coffee so I brew my pods (even the 9-10 oz ) at 6 oz on my Bunn. Based upon this and the comments on the weakness of the K-cup coffee I think that I probably made the right choice for me.

It has been interesting though to see which pod drinkers have switched loyalties and which haven't. I would guess that if this continues we will start to see some of our favorite pod vendors start to also carry K-cups.
mommyluvsnoah

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee FAQ