Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

K Cup blow-out question

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Postby skippylynn » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:25 pm

MichFan wrote:Cute. Of course when I send it on to my friends and family it will have the schools reversed!

:lol:
You go right ahead & change it, if that makes you feel better! :lol: :P :lol:

skippy
skippylynn

Postby MattM2G » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:22 pm

Ok, I HAVE to chime in here!!! :D

I have never had a defective k-cup, so it has NOTHING to do with being a Buckeye fan, unless it is because we are better suited to emerge victorious from a difficult challenge with an opponent that is a pain in the A**, and defective!!!(In this case, the bad K-cup!!) :lol:
Own: Tassimo , Keurig B-60, Gevalia Pod Machine (Travel Machine), Bunn MyCafe, Bodum French Press, Bialetti Brikka Stovetop Espresso Maker, DeLonghi Drip machine (retired), Gevalia 4 cup drip machine (retired).
MattM2G

Postby Bob_Michaels » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:07 am

I posted a several weeks ago about some defective K-Cups (Timothy's German Chocolate Cake).

I had about 4 or 5, and stopped using them for a while. I've successfully used several since then. I tap the K-cup and shake it gently before placing it in the holder. I don't know if this has any effect, or if the bad ones were on top... Either way I'm pleased because I do like the GCC flavor...

On a side note: I bought those cups from Coffee Giant. I used their website to ask for their input and got no reply. They are banned from my purchasing system now :twisted:
Bob_Michaels

Postby JustLeft » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:21 pm

Were the K-cups bloated? By that I mean was the foil swelled on the top that would indicate it was under a lot of pressure? I have noticed that on some of the ones that I have had that were bad. Seemed they were packed under too much pressure.
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
Keurig B60 - $199 (Sold eBay)
Bunn My Cafe - $199 (Sold eBay)
Tassimo - $169 (Sold eBay)
Wife who puts up with my coffee habit - priceless
JustLeft

Postby BillE » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:27 am

Question, do you just drop in the K-cups and close the top? Because I was getting grounds in my cup when I was doing that. Try pressing in the K-cup to seat it (and I suppose that punctures the bottom), before closing it. I have had no grounds in my cup since I started doing this. Good luck.
BillE

Postby skippylynn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:37 am

Bob_Michaels wrote:I posted a several weeks ago about some defective K-Cups (Timothy's German Chocolate Cake).

I had about 4 or 5, and stopped using them for a while. I've successfully used several since then. I tap the K-cup and shake it gently before placing it in the holder. I don't know if this has any effect, or if the bad ones were on top... Either way I'm pleased because I do like the GCC flavor...

On a side note: I bought those cups from Coffee Giant. I used their website to ask for their input and got no reply. They are banned from my purchasing system now :twisted:

Thanks Bob for posting about your defective K cup experience once again in this thread. I did miss reading your initial post. :oops:
I tried yesterday another Timothy's Rainforest XB & I had no problems but I will try your method out as it couldn't hurt. :lol:

It's too bad that Coffee Giant didn't respond to your inquiry :( but maybe you could still call Keurig to tell them what happened.
I didn't purchase my K Cups from Keurig & that didn't seem to matter. They were more interested in knowing which K cup/s blew out on me.

skippy
skippylynn

Postby skippylynn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:51 am

JustLeft wrote:Were the K-cups bloated? By that I mean was the foil swelled on the top that would indicate it was under a lot of pressure? I have noticed that on some of the ones that I have had that were bad. Seemed they were packed under too much pressure.

I was looking at the top foil yesterday & was wondering about that but I don't remember how the foil looked with my earlier defective ones.

I did use another Timothy's Rainforest XB yesterday & I noticed the foil was swelled but it brewed fine. I also checked the rest of that box & all but one cup has a swelled foil.
After looking through some of my other boxes/types there are some swelled & some not.

skippy
skippylynn

Postby skippylynn » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:55 am

BillE wrote:Question, do you just drop in the K-cups and close the top? Because I was getting grounds in my cup when I was doing that. Try pressing in the K-cup to seat it (and I suppose that punctures the bottom), before closing it. I have had no grounds in my cup since I started doing this. Good luck.

I drop in the K Cup & close the lid. I'll give your way a try too!

skippy
skippylynn

Postby JustLeft » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:36 pm

I also noticed on the few that I have had that 'blew up', the K-cups were swelled after the coffee was made. It was like the path for the water to flow through the grounds was blocked or impeded in some way. Happened just a few times, so I wasn't really worried.
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
JustLeft

Blowout analysis continued....

Postby Bob_Michaels » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:14 am

Hello All. Here's a rather long-winded followup to my experiences with the dreaded "Blowout" problem.

As mentioned in this and another thread, I've experienced the blowout problem. It has been confined to one box of K-cups (Tim's German Chocolate Cake) only (I've run dozens of other varieties without failure). In this "bad" box I had about 8 blowouts in the first dozen brews. Since I had been taking the cups from the top of the box, I tried using the ones at the bottom of the box and had a about a 8 successful brews. With the box getting low (about 6 K-cups left), I went to brew this morning and got another blowout. One of the hallmarks of this failure is that the filter tears and the water cannot flow - causing the pump to run without any flow and after several seconds it shuts off. So I cleaned everything up, purged the machine by running without a K-cup installed and then tried another of the faulty cups. Again it blewout/clogged. I cleaned up and purged again and ran a Green Mountain cup (Mocha Nut Fudge) without any problems.

After a while I got a brilliant (for me :shock: ) idea. I cut the foil from one of the remaining faulty batch and put the coffee in a "My K-Cup". I figured this would bypass the theory of the faulty filter seal. So guess what? The cup brewed about 90% and then the flow stopped and the pump strained - just like when a blowout occurs and the needles/cup are clogged. So now I wonder if the coffee itself is ground too fine and causes clogging (leading to the paper filter ripping or the wire filter clogging). Either way, it appears that this batch of K-cups had some Q.C. shortcomings.

Anyway, since I only have 3 of the faulty cups left, I think I'll either use them with My K-cup (easier cleanup than a blowout) or pitch 'em. I'll be ordering more from Coffee Whiz, I'm sure I'll get a different batch this time.
Bob_Michaels

Postby skippylynn » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:45 pm

For my long-winded update also. :)

I received a replacement K cup holder yesterday from Keurig. For those newly reading, one of the three tabs broke off my first holder trying to get it out of the machine to clean it after my last K cup blowout.
When I talked to Keurig CS last Friday I misunderstood that Keurig service dept. was going to call me *first* before sending out the replacement but the holder was sent out to me that day!
I have not been able to talk to anyone in the service department to ask any additional questions. I was told yesterday they are backed up in returning service calls right now since they were off work last Friday & this past Monday.

Anyway, I did want to mention that the replacement K cup holder I received yesterday is different from my first one in that it does not have a clear-ish soft plastic sleeve surrounding the needle in the inside bottom of the cup. So I don't know if there was a design change or I am missing the plastic thing on my replacement. I will ask about this when they do call me.

Does anyone else have the clear, soft plastic "sleeve" surrounding the needle which is located in the inside bottom of the K cup holder :?:
I am not an engineer so I'm sorry that is the best I can do to try to describe what I am talking about! :lol:

skippy
skippylynn

Blowouts

Postby reedr4 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:52 pm

I have had no blowouts to date, but most all K-cups I have, do have a "swelled" top foil...altitude.
Not sure where (sea level?) the cups are sealed, but in Colorado, the altitude causes even potato chip bags to swell up.

I get an audible ppffffff when I shut the top down on a cup. :)

cheers

r2
reedr4

Postby MattM2G » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:39 pm

skippylynn wrote:Does anyone else have the clear, soft plastic "sleeve" surrounding the needle which is located in the inside bottom of the K cup holder :?:
I am not an engineer so I'm sorry that is the best I can do to try to describe what I am talking about! :lol: skippy

My B-60 has the clear plastic sleeve thingy in it...and I have had no problems with blow-outs or drippage, or anything for that matter!!!

HTH,

Matt
Own: Tassimo , Keurig B-60, Gevalia Pod Machine (Travel Machine), Bunn MyCafe, Bodum French Press, Bialetti Brikka Stovetop Espresso Maker, DeLonghi Drip machine (retired), Gevalia 4 cup drip machine (retired).
MattM2G

Postby skippylynn » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:07 pm

MattM2G wrote:
skippylynn wrote:Does anyone else have the clear, soft plastic "sleeve" surrounding the needle which is located in the inside bottom of the K cup holder :?:
I am not an engineer so I'm sorry that is the best I can do to try to describe what I am talking about! :lol: skippy

My B-60 has the clear plastic sleeve thingy in it...and I have had no problems with blow-outs or drippage, or anything for that matter!!!

HTH,

Matt

Keurig service just called. The K cup holder they grabbed to look at *does not* have a plastic sleeve on the needle. I have not used the new one yet to see if any difference in brewing since I've been playing with the My K cup reusable filter since getting it yesterday.

I asked about pressing the K cup onto the needle first before lowering the handle & they said sometimes they recommend this in higher altitudes to relieve pressure but since I'm in Ohio that shouldn't be necessary & should not relate to my K cup blowouts. I was told most likely my cup blowouts are due to packaging at the manufacture, like a slight rip in the filter.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who have had some bad cups! :oops:

skippy
skippylynn

Postby JustLeft » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:46 pm

I am in central Ohio, and have had a few blow outs but nothing like you have experienced. Certainly isn't the altitude! Having the coffee ground too fine is an interesting observation. I have had drip coffee makers overflow when I got too fine with the grind.
Keurig B77 - $139
Nespresso Citiz - $369
Keurig Mini - $89
JustLeft

PreviousNext

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews