Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Hamilton Beach "The Scoop"

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Hamilton Beach "The Scoop"

Postby sweaner » Sat May 21, 2011 4:43 pm

I just saw this video of a new SSC machine...at least I have never seen it before. Look at the video around the 2:50 mark. The rest of the video is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kevinsinnot ... tK5RsoT104

Here is a PDF too!

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/p ... 049981.pdf
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Re: Hamilton Beach "The Scoop"

Postby jbviau » Sat May 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Nice find. I don't associate HB with quality coffee (for better or worse), but I like the clearance this has for a travel mug. I wonder if it brews under pressure? Kind of doubt it. If not, sticking a pod in the tray probably wouldn't give you a good cup.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby goheels » Sun May 22, 2011 12:31 pm

As Josh said,if this unit brews under pressure, it seems to have some good qualities. I will be interested in following it's progress.
Lynn
________
Grindmaster OPOD
Nespresso C90
Keurig B-70 Platinum
goheels

Postby jbviau » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 am

I saw a Scoop "in the wild" today at Target. How about some pics? First, though, note that it's cheaper at Walmart, though both sites have listings with reviews that people might be interested in reading:

Target: http://www.target.com/p/Hamilton-Beach- ... A-13741686
Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beac ... r/16503564

Nice-looking, with a cool adjustable cup stand. Tall though. You add water for each brew.

I read in the manual online that the "bold" setting simply dispenses water at a slower rate, i.e. no pulsed brew as far as I can tell.

There's an 8-oz. fill line and a "max" fill line (top of the metal section), though I don't know how much ground coffee corresponds to either level.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby Maniac » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:40 pm

I just bought this unit at Sears for $60. I must say that the coffee was very hot and very good. I have a Keurig and a Tassimo and would say that the coffee is on par with both of them. I was pleasantly surprised.
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Postby jbviau » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the report! So how many grams of coffee can you stuff into the scoop on this?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby ranin02 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Maniac, the description says something about a built-in cup stand. I assume this means you can raise the platform so it doesn't splash when used with a regular cup vs a travel mug? Also, did you use a regular drip grind?
ranin02

Postby VydorScope » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:26 am

I will have to follow this, looks like a great travel machine
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby Maniac » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 pm

I used 2 tablespoons of coffee in reg drip grind. Fresh ground does taste better, even with eight o clock bokar beans. The stand adjusts to 2 levels, one for coffee cup and one for travel mug. The bold button just makes the hot water come out slower and takes a little longer. I use the reg button and it takes no longer than the keurig. Personally, I think the coffee is hotter and tastes better. But you will have to judge that for yourself as everyones taste is different. This is my second day using it and have put about 12 cups through it. I really like it.
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Postby smity » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:37 pm

I bought a Scoop tonight from Sears for $59 before tax. The scoop makes good and pipping hot coffee. The machine does not use a pump, its fast drip. The machine turns itself off after it makes your coffee. The machine has 2 cons to it. There is no removeable drip tray to catch the random dripping at the end, and cleaning out the grounds in the holder. The holder will not take a small paper filter. I came to the conclusion that I prefer the Bunn rolling my own pods with the ease of chuck the puck.
Bunn my cafe, refurbed Bunn my cafe mc, Behmor 1600 coffee roaster, refurbed baratza virtuoso, french press
smity

Postby Maniac » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 pm

I do have to agree with smity on the cons of the scoop. I put a paper towel under the rack to catch any drippings and I compost the coffee grounds so the cons really do not bother me. I just prefer the inexpensiveness to making coffee in this machine. Its not for everyone, but I really like it.
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Postby rahl1972 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:29 pm

I just picked up this unit too. I have found the coffee to be a bit weak though. I have to fill to the Max level to get a nice and strong 8oz coffee. I'm using the fine grind setting on my grinder.
Keurig 2.0 K500
Breville One Touch tea maker
Bunn MC
Technivorm Moccamaster
Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine
rahl1972

Postby smity » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:09 pm

I think the keurig with the ecobrew or rolling your own in the Bunn is better. Pressurised coffee taste better than drip coffee. The scoop will let finer ground coffee get past the metal filter to mix in your coffee. Using a simple melita pour over cone with the ease of paper filter makes a better coffee than the scoop. The key to rolling your own grounds in the Bunn is to pre wet the 4 cup paperfilter before putting the grounds in. Pre wetting allows the paper filter to sit and form in the holder and wrap around the grounds easier. The only advantage the Scoop has is for a person that does not like to role their own pod.
Bunn my cafe, refurbed Bunn my cafe mc, Behmor 1600 coffee roaster, refurbed baratza virtuoso, french press
smity

Postby Maniac » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:02 pm

I have no intention of making my own pods.(too lazy) I have owned about 4 coffee pod machines when they came out and none lasted more than a month so I stopped buying them. I would guess that they are much better now but I got used to Keurig and tassimo. I get a very strong 12 oz of coffee from the scoop. However my tastes are different from everyone elses. Thats why there are so many choices. I just like the ease of use and the speed I guess. When I need a strong shot of coffee I go to my espresso machine. I'm just enjoying using very fresh just roasted beans in the scoop. The only other way to do that is to make your own pods.
Happy Caffeine.
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Postby Maniac » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:27 am

Just a follow up;
After 2 weeks my heating element went out on this unit and I had to return it. So, I have to question the quality on this. I do not think I'm going to buy another one as I have a few single serve coffee machines in the house.
Delonghi Alicia
Bunn MCU
Hario Skerton
Presto Percolator
Maniac

Next

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines