Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

GMCR Welcomes The Coffee Bean Tea and Leaf

Talk about anything coffee related. Let others know your innermost coffee thoughts.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

GMCR Welcomes The Coffee Bean Tea and Leaf

Postby agentfive » Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 am

Kinda crazy big news...what's going to happen to their own machines and format? I bet they double-dip and do both.

Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. (GMCR) (NASDAQ: GMCR), a leader in specialty coffee and coffeemakers, and International Coffee & Tea, LLC announce the companies have reached a multiyear agreement to make The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf® brand available in K-Cup® packs for the Keurig® single cup brewing system. A select offering of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf K-Cup® packs are planned to be available in a variety of channels in the United States beginning in spring 2014. The new selections will join GMCR's family of beverage brands as a premium offering in the Keurig® brewing system.

"We're delighted to partner with The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf®, a company based on high-quality products and sustainable values," said Brian P. Kelley, President and CEO of GMCR. "Our strategy to partner with world-class coffee and tea brands like The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf® further broadens consumer choice in the Keurig® system and helps us provide a wide range of beverages for every taste."

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf® is the oldest and largest privately-held specialty coffee and tea retailer in the United States. Known for sourcing and providing a diverse selection of the highest quality coffees and teas since 1963, The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf® has built relationships with the best private coffee farms and tea estates around the world, selecting only the finest Arabica beans.

"As we celebrate our 50th Anniversary in 2013, including our heritage of sharing our passion with our loyal customers, we now also look ahead to a new milestone: This agreement that will expand our reach among both our current and prospective customers," said Mel Elias, President and CEO of The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf®. "We look forward to working with GMCR to bring our products to even more homes with Keurig Brewed® quality and convenience."

GMCR's Keurig® single cup brewers for in home and office use utilize innovative brewing and single-cup technology to deliver a fresh-brewed, perfect cup of hot or iced coffee, tea, cocoa, or fruit brews every time at just the touch of a button. According to the NPD Group, Keurig® single cup brewers were the top four bestselling coffee makers during GMCR's fiscal second quarter 2013 by dollar sales.
- Jay Brewer
- Editor, Single Serve Coffee
- Current arsenal: Dolce Gusto, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, GPOD, OPOD, Keurig B40, B50, B60, B70, & Assorted (N)espresso Machines...
agentfive
Site Admin

Re: GMCR Welcomes The Coffee Bean Tea and Leaf

Postby jbviau » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am

Woah. No mention of Vue Packs, I see.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jar » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

CBTL also just signed an agreement to supply the in-room coffee to Hilton, Embassy Suites and Doubletree.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby rhfil » Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 am

Are the CBTL machines high pressure or low?
There is also no mention of whether CBTL will continue making their own machines.
Caffitaly is considered to be a high pressure capsule. Perhaps CBTL just wants to get access to low pressure single serve systems.
rhfil

Postby jar » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am

rhfil wrote:Are the CBTL machines high pressure or low?
There is also no mention of whether CBTL will continue making their own machines.
Caffitaly is considered to be a high pressure capsule. Perhaps CBTL just wants to get access to low pressure single serve systems.

The CBTL Caffitaly machines are dual pressure. They have a high pressure mode for espresso type drinks and a low pressure mode for coffees, teas, chocolates. The capsules for the two modes are also different:

The two top capsules are for Caffitaly machines. Note the hole sealed just with foil on the left capsule. That is for the low pressure mode brewed coffee.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby rhfil » Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 am

What is the quality of single serve tea? The best tasting tea is supposed to be steeped with loose leaves. I drink tea, rarely, made from tea bags. Is there anyone who is a real tea aficionado who has compared single serve tea with other styles and can tell us the differences? Especially interested in whether there is a difference between single serve high pressure tea and single serve low pressure tea.
rhfil

Postby rhfil » Wed May 29, 2013 11:12 am

Oh, I now understand how the system works. It is not really a two pressure machine but there are two types of capsules, one type restricts water flow so that pressure builds up and the other does not restrict water flow so no pressure builds up. So I wonder why would CBTL continue with both its own machines and K-cups?
rhfil

Postby jar » Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 am

rhfil wrote:What is the quality of single serve tea? The best tasting tea is supposed to be steeped with loose leaves. I drink tea, rarely, made from tea bags. Is there anyone who is a real tea aficionado who has compared single serve tea with other styles and can tell us the differences? Especially interested in whether there is a difference between single serve high pressure tea and single serve low pressure tea.

Single Serve tea is fast.

It really is that simple.

CBTL also continues to sell ground coffee, coffee beans, coffee by the cup ...
jar

Postby Black Rose » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 pm

rhfil wrote:Is there anyone who is a real tea aficionado who has compared single serve tea with other styles and can tell us the differences? Especially interested in whether there is a difference between single serve high pressure tea and single serve low pressure tea.

I'm not a tea aficionado, but the single serve teas that I have tried (K-Cup and T-Disc) are pretty bland and boring, simply because there is no time for the leaves to steep properly.

I come from an area of Canada where it was common to put a tea pot on the stove with some tea bags in it and add more water and tea bags as the night went on, so when I make a cup of tea, it steeps for at least 10 minutes.
Bunn My Cafe MCU
Retired: Tassimo T45, Keurig B70 Platinum, SunCafe H701A
Black Rose

Return to Coffee Talk