Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Flavia machine at work

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Flavia machine at work

Postby Mike-Mike » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm

I started a new job on Monday, and much to my surprise, they had a Flavia machine. I had never seen or heard of this, but I am quite the fan. I don't see much talk about these on here though? I saw SSC took a tour of the factory awhile back, but other than that it's pretty quiet about Flavia, it's a shame, it's a wonderful machine.
Keurig B77
Mike-Mike

Re: Flavia machine at work

Postby jbviau » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 pm

What do you like about it? I've only ever had one cup of Flavia coffee, and I wasn't wowed, but maybe I was just in a bad mood that day (waiting in a dentist's office). Sounds like you've had more of a chance to experiment with the machine/format...
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby sweaner » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:09 pm

The Flavia machines produce OK coffee. We have one at work also. The selections are limited, and there is not much ground coffee in the packets. I do like the Mocacchino though. Are they still selling the home machines? I hardly ever see them.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby Mike-Mike » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm a pretty big fan... I've had a few cups of the morning roast, and the french roast.. and the house blend... all good..

I made latte that wasn't bad, and the Dove hot chocolate was really good, but when I mixed the latte with the Dove, it was fantastic
Keurig B77
Mike-Mike

Postby Alice2 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:29 am

I too had a cup of Flavia coffee while waiting in a dentist's office. I was very impressed with the cup of coffee, just as good as a cup of Keurig coffee. It seems to be more complicated looking than it has to be with the coffee pouch or whatever, so I'd lean more towards the tried-and-true Keurig anyway, but there's nothing wrong with the coffee.
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby jgantert » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but my new job also has a Flavia machine. Never used one before, but it does make some good coffee. Most of the medium and dark roasts are good, especially the Sumatra. I would pass on the light roasts, tho. Also pass on the latte/cappuccino since they are made with regular coffee, not espresso. The hot chocolate was good, even better mixed with the latte pack.

Saw one of the Flavia Fusion machines at the thrift store for $5, but with all my other coffee makers, I still passed. The Dolce Gusto (and even Tassimo) make better latte/cappuccino's. Pods still are better for regular coffee. However, this seems to be a nice clean solution for the office. Better coffee than K-Cups, IMO. You can blend almost anything with anything (coffee + chocolate = mocha, mint tea + chocolate = mint chocolate, tea + latte = chai tea, tea + coffee = disgusting! haha) in this machine.
OPOD, Dolce Gusto (at home)
Bosch TAS4511, Melitta one:one MES5B (at work)
jgantert

Postby VLee » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 pm

My turn to dredge up this old thread. My workplace is getting one these. Up 'til now they've had whatever that thing is - big box with "press button to watch your coffee brew", that brews from an big container of coffee that quickly gets stale (esp when you drink decaf as I do, so it doesn't get replaced very often).

For yrs the staff had asked about getting an industrial sized keurig and our office mgr just said it cost too much. Amazingly, someone else looked into it and discovered that getting this Flavia is cheaper/cup because the machine is "free" and they charge per packet of coffee. So the salesman brought one in today to demo. The coffee was decent, particularly compared to what the other one brewed. I'm not sure I'll stop using my desktop Senseo, but this is a nice backup.

My thoughts are: it's only a matter of time before someone in the office finds a way to break it. Trust me, someone will put something in backwards or force it. Any idea how idiot proof they are? (It's not my concern because I'm not in charge, but it's one reason my Senseo will stay put). And two - we'll walk in one day and the "packets" will have disappeared. We have a problem sometimes at night with things disappearing (telephones, televisions, ceiling mounted projector... so what are a few coffee packets, even if they don't fit another machine). So that said, I'm curious if any of the regular coffee dealers sell the packets, in case I want to squirrel away my own supply, without buying a case.
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby jbviau » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 pm

VLee wrote:...I'm curious if any of the regular coffee dealers sell the packets, in case I want to squirrel away my own supply, without buying a case.

Shoffee and Coffee Giant, for sure, off the top of my head.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines