Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Expired K-Cups - How much is too much?

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Expired K-Cups - How much is too much?

Postby MBee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 pm

A friend of mine gave me a huge box of random K-cups plus two sealed boxes. Very sweet of her.

The boxes expired in September 2009. Some of the K-cups in the random box expired as early as 2007 (some of those are tea, not coffee).

Would you use them?

(I've used expired K-cups before, but with dates in 2010. And I can tell you that the hot chocolate/white hot chocolate cups don't age particularly well, sadly.)
MBee

Re: Expired K-Cups - How much is too much?

Postby MBee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:16 pm

I apparently didn't drink enough coffee today. I'm tired. I meant "How Old Is Too Old?"

Ah well.
MBee

Postby jbviau » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Well, they're dated as "best by" 9 months from when the coffee in them is roasted and packed, just fyi. It won't do any harm to try the older ones, but be prepared for some noticeably stale coffee relative to freshly packed k-cups (opinions differ as to just how noticeable the difference is). Another member, EricBNC, has talked about how flavored coffee seems to age better than unflavored, and I tend to agree with him.

Now you've got me curious about the truly antique 2007 k-cups. Think of it as a science experiment! ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Renaldow » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am

Yeah, I'd experiment. Try some of the ones that you already know the taste of (if any) and compare to what it should taste like. One thing I've noticed is that 'fresh' kcups usually are really poofy on top, where as the expired ones not so much. Maybe go by that and see how it goes?

Post results!
Renaldow

Postby VydorScope » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:34 am

Assuming their seals are intact, theres no harm in drinking them. I have been given K-Cup as old as 2 years (I think, be well past date for sure) and they usually just have much less taste. Brew them on the smallest setting and us 2 kcups per cup of coffee might help a little. :)
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby vespacar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:17 am

Do you mean the cups that you use for those co-workers who mooch/steal coffee at work? If you don't feel comfortable using them I'm sure someone here would love to teach their co-workers a lesson. Here's a idea:

Ex-lax K-cup Hot chocolate.

Trusted Treatment for Constipation for 100 Years

Excellent mornings guaranteed by ex-lax®. The ex-lax brand is an expert in gentle, dependable overnight relief. We are so confident that you will be satisfied with ex-lax products, we guarantee it.*

Cheers,
vespacar
Lavazza Blue LB 2312, Grindmaster OPOD, Nespresso Le Cube,
Breville "The milk Cafe" frother, Cuisinart SS-700C
vespacar

Postby MBee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:33 am

LOL Vespacar.

Most of these are flavored - some Timothy's Irish Cream and French Vanilla, if I remember correctly. One of the boxes is a decaf french roast. I don't think any of the cups were ones that I recognized/had tried before, but I'm up for an experiment. I'll keep you posted...
MBee

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews