Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Dunkin Donuts PODS have ARRIVED!!!...YEEHAAW!

Everything coffee pods. You can put your coffee pod reviews here and let others know what you think!

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Dunkin Donuts PODS have ARRIVED!!!...YEEHAAW!

Postby Lisa Bonami » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Folks, I havent been to this site in uhhhm....what 4 years or so?? I havent even been into the single serve coffee scene anymore since I have simply been enjoying fresh ground Illy beans and a Bunn BX drip brewer. ....

However, I was in Dunkin Donuts this morning getting my usual Pumpkin Spice medium coffee and I notice a little impulse rack of various Single Serve POD boxes of D&D coffees (8pods per box) for $3.99 (equating to .50 cents a cup) So I figured, let me give these little suckers a shot for shiits and giggles. I took home a box of the Original Blend, went down to my basement and looked at my shelf of dusty Single Serve units. Glancing at the Senseo, then the Cuisinart SS-1, then the OPod (generation 2)....wait, the Opod I gave away to someone...LOL. (I must have been halucinating)

Decisions, Decisions....I reached for the original, ole reliable....the Senseo.

Took it upstairs, dusted it off, plugged it in, filled it with water, primed it, ran a few cycles to clean it out (and heat my cup...aahhh I remember those days) Opened up the pod holder, ripped open a single pod ( they are individually wrapped...excellent deciscion...are you listening Douge and Euberts?) Popped it in, closed the clamp and hit the small cup button, with my mothers finest china porcelain tea cup underneath...(the wonderful delicate flavors these Tea cups seem to yield) It was music to my ears hearing that old gurgling, grinding brewing cycle as I watched those glorious coffee streams come trickling down into my cup.....

Long story short (if its even possible at this stage)....this was a wonderfully flavorful and intense cup of coffee Senseo Style. I say Senseo style because its brews a very unique and frothy cup of intense coffee that is almost a hybrid of a cup of joe and a cappuccino due to the intense pressure of the brewing cycle. However, this works to your advantage because it will produce a seemingly hotter cup of coffee...i say seemingly because it wont require as much milk to create a creaminess because of the auto froth of the brewer. So you only need a drop of milk to a cup of hot coffee which will minimize the cooling off of the cup.

All in all I tried it both ways....a single Pod with the 5 ounce cup and the single cup brew which provided the most intense jolt of D&D coffee experience.

And I tried it with a single Pod with a 12 ounce cup and the Large Cup brew which gave about a 10oz cup of D&D on the same single pod. This cup was a bit on the watery side but certainly drinkable with milk and still very good. However, even the packaging, which I agree, recommends an 8oz cup per single Pod ( Which Im not really sure how I can achieve on the Senseo). Either way, very good cup...and Im glad I found these.

My next test will be to try one of these pods in the ole' Cusinart SS-1 which will simulate a more traditional drip style single serve cup...cant wait.

Any questions folks?.............All I can say is GO GET these! Next stop will be to try the Dunkin Dark box!
Lisa Bonami

Re: Dunkin Donuts PODS have ARRIVED!!!...YEEHAAW!

Postby jar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Neat but no DunkinD within a couple hundred miles of me.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi. Thanks for the update, and welcome back! Could you please post a pic? Also, what city did you find these in?

I'm guessing from your description (mentioning 5 oz., 10 oz., etc.) that you have a Senseo Supreme. True? If so, an 8-oz. drop seems very possible. From the Amazon description:

"To brew three, four or five ounces of coffee, use one pod, press the one cup button and select one, two or three volume select bars, respectively. To make six, eight or ten ounces of coffee, use two pods, press the two cup button and select one, two or three volume select bars, respectively."

http://www.amazon.com/Senseo-SL7832-55- ... B001QTVS6O
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby agentfive » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Yep. We'd love to know exactly where you found these as well.
- Jay Brewer
- Editor, Single Serve Coffee
- Current arsenal: Dolce Gusto, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, GPOD, OPOD, Keurig B40, B50, B60, B70, & Assorted (N)espresso Machines...
agentfive
Site Admin

Postby VLee » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I checked the two DD's near me and didn't see any pods yet. One guy didn't even know what I was referring to and thought maybe it was the little single pot bags of coffee.

I've gone to the DD site and sent in an email to ask where to find them. I realize (after reading the article) that they are testing them in a few stores but figured if nothing else, I want them to know that people are interested in buying pods. (And who knows, maybe they'll send me a sample :wink: ).
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby jbviau » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Lee, did you check the DD on 41st St. near Hampden?
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby VLee » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:17 pm

No, just Joppa near Gardiners & the one up by the "monster mall". (And I didn't actually ask at that one because it was chaotic, but didn't see any displays).

Is there something at the Hampden one? (Oh wait, you'd have posted a photo 8) ). Not that I need any pods right now, but I do like DD coffee... and I'd buy some anyhow just so the powers that be know people will buy pods. Maybe we're not in their test market.
Bunn My Cafe MCA, Clever Coffee Dripper, Senseo - original recalled & replaced, Original Melita cone
VLee

Postby tinninches » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 pm

I will go by my local DD here in Franklin tomorrow and see if they have them.
-Jayson-
tinninches

Postby Lisa Bonami » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:21 am

folks sorry for the lack of detail....

I also want to clarify on a mistake I made, I actually have the original black Senseo unit....the 7810? ( got it free from Philips after filling out a short questionaire online that asked me to promote the unit about 4-5 years ago) I didnt even realize that the brew cup sizes are actually 4 and 8 ozs...until i looked online and read up about the details. With that said, I would say that the full 8oz cup (1 pod and pressing 2 cup button) is actually a bit on the watery side but still very drinkable....I prefer the full blast of a 4oz cup with the single pod. Perhaps this could be because I am so used to freshly grinding my Illy Dark Roasted whole beans right before I brew them in my Bunn. (excellent coffee btw) But back to the D&D Pods....Im very happy with the Original Pods and will go back to pick up some of the Dunkin Dark tommorow to try them.

Im in the North Bergen area of NJ.

If I get some time, I'll take some pictures of the box and the Pods for you all...I didnt realize that these were only in a limited number of stores, I thought they were released all over the stores.

I'll see what I can do for you folks
Lisa Bonami

Postby Lisa Bonami » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:44 am

See if these work...some may be blurry...its late and Im tired

Lisa Bonami

Postby EricBNC » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the pictures! These are 9.25 gram pods - they should make a decent 6 - 8 fl oz cup. When I aim for 6 fl oz with my Senseo I hit the small cup button and then hit it again but instead of letting it complete I turn the unit off at the mark I know to be 6 fl oz in my cup. I expect a BUNN MCP/MCA or GPOD/OPOD brewers should extract a full flavored cup at 7 - 8 fl oz using the tea/pulse setting.
EricBNC

Postby jbviau » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 am

Perfect! Thanks for the pics. One of them showed a link to a site that, among other things, lists the 5 pod varieties DD is trying out: http://www.dunkinonecup.com/about.html
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby VLee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 am

From their FAQ:
Dunkin’ One Cup is available only at participating Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants and for a limited time only.
I hope that's just referring to to the test being a limited time, not that the pods will really only be available for a limited time.
VLee

Postby jar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:16 am

jbviau wrote:Perfect! Thanks for the pics. One of them showed a link to a site that, among other things, lists the 5 pod varieties DD is trying out: http://www.dunkinonecup.com/about.html

I tried to leave a comment there but it would not submit. Need whip.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby Lisa Bonami » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Ok folks...glad I could help...i will try to get some Dunkin' Dark this week. I didnt know you could simply press the Senseo single cup button again during the operation to have it restart another cycle...im going to have to try that to try and tweak a 6-7oz cup which I think would be the perfectly balanced flavorful cup with these pods. the full 8oz (double cup cycle on the Senseo ) seems a bit on the watery side...just a bit.

On a side note, I have been making homemade pizza in my new cast iron Lodge Pizza pan and I was rather proud of my results today....Its my homemade dough and sauce, with Mozzarella, Shrimp and basil

Lisa Bonami

Next

Return to Coffee Pods and Coffee Pod Reviews