Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Dissassembly + Repair Guide - Keurig B70 Platinum

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Dissassembly + Repair Guide - Keurig B70 Platinum

Postby coffeecritt0r » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:36 pm

i do not have tools for desoldering the parts in the repair steps though. i can't find the 4 tabs though that was where i stopped actually...
do i need to solder parts too? i'm no engineer and neither is my husband, so i get so lost in doing the procedure. what tool did you use for those tabs to remove the top cover? sorry i'm such a Jurassic creature! thanks !

~maddy
coffeecritt0r

Postby switch998 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm

coffeecritt0r wrote:i do not have tools for desoldering the parts in the repair steps though. i can't find the 4 tabs though that was where i stopped actually...
do i need to solder parts too? i'm no engineer and neither is my husband, so i get so lost in doing the procedure. what tool did you use for those tabs to remove the top cover? sorry i'm such a Jurassic creature! thanks !

~maddy

Just spoke with you via PM ;)

I think the step needs some clarification

The unit's first plastic tab is located on the left side of the unit, above the water tank. Release the plastic clips (to access the tabs) by prying above the black plastic on the water tank space.
Shine a flashlight through the hole in the housing where the water tank secures itself to the unit. Look through the gap that opened when you pryed the clips, immediately to the left side of the inside is a tab. Release that tab by applying pressure to it with a flathead screwdriver.

I can take some pictures of this part if you want.

---------------

I have a parts machine that I'd be willing to send any parts out for the cost of shipping + $1 (I need to make back the cost of the machine).
-NO solenoid valves are available. I needed those for my machines. Transformer may be available (I have to dig the unit out and check up on this).
-Motor IS available, but is refurbished via ultrasonic cleaner to remove corrosion
-Circuitry, LCD, Heating switch, Water tank, and all other parts are available. This includes any plastic body parts.
-The unit is the older model that does not have the carafe icon

- I have 2 water tanks available, one of them has a bad temperature cutoff switch.

A quick note: All 3 keurig models use the same power supply board, input board, transformer, and mosfet board (this is hidden to the reservoir side of the unit, underneath the metal frame).

If you want any of these parts, get in touch with me via PM.
switch998

Postby coffeecritt0r » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:58 am

hi! yeah! thank you! i sent a reply on pm too! :)

looks like there is more to it than i have imagined. i'll just sell the machine for parts then. it's beyond my ability :oops:

for everybody, i do have a question though... now how long can a keurig last? really...

i have read so many negative reviews about the machine dying so quickly... i have never own a keurig so i 'd like to hear your opinion. i am worried of spending too much for a machine that dies after just few months. i'd be happy to hear your thoughts about it. thanks!
coffeecritt0r

Postby jbviau » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:41 am

coffeecritt0r wrote:for everybody, i do have a question though... now how long can a keurig last? really...

Here's a thread for you to check. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. I'd recommend buying from a retail store with a good return policy like BBB or Costco.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby jar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 am

coffeecritt0r wrote:for everybody, i do have a question though... now how long can a keurig last? really...

Have you considered a pod machine instead of a K-Cup?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 am

^^^ Not a bad idea. But if we're headed in that direction, let's resume discussion in a new thread to keep this one relatively on-topic since it's so specific.
Josh - Forum Moderator
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
jbviau

Postby switch998 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:24 pm

To anyone wondering, transformer has been sold. I have a new machine coming in from a friend, that I think the heater switch went out on, so I may have valves available now.
switch998

Postby MarkAntonucci » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Good Evening.
What a great post!
Nice job everyone.
I’m an EE to and hate to toss a nice machine in the trash.
So

Finally I got my B70 opened up!!
I tired once before but got frustrated thinking there has to be an easy way to open this thing.
Ok so now it’s opened up.
My air pump was working fine but I had water in the tube going to the FWD solenoid.
Is this water causing the solenoid to rust out?
Does the water then drip onto the Air pump and cause it to fail? I tried to read this entire post but maybe I missed the root cause.

I drained the water in the tube and will test out my unit to see if it holds up.
I suspect the solenoid may be a bit sticky but we will see.

One other comment:
Yes I broke off all of my top cover clips! :D
I figure it will allow me to open it up a bit faster next time it needs my attention.
Thanks again,
Mark
MarkAntonucci

Postby jbviau » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:56 am

Welcome, Mark. I'm sure one of the experts will chime in within a few days. In the meantime, was your B70 under warranty?
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

Postby EmmJayEff » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:46 am

MarkAntonucci,

What was your initial failure mode? If your Air Pump was working fine, what caused you to open up your B70?

On one of my B70's, the body seal on the Fwd Pneumatic Solenoid Valve failed and water leaked onto the Transformer and Air Pump. Some other posters have seen water get into the Air Pump motor back through its output hose.

Did you mean to say water in the tube to the Aft (not Fwd) solenoid? I assume you mean that there was water in the tube between the Aft Pneumatic Solenoid Valve and the "T" at the Check Valve (referring to the tube routing diagram that I posted earlier).

Normally, the Aft Pneumatic Solenoid Valve is closed during brewing. I believe that if the outlet to the K-Cup Arm becomes blocked, the Aft Pneumatic Solenoid Valve is opened during Brewing to provide pressure relief through the Water Reservoir Overflow Tube.

There should never be water in the tube between the Aft Pneumatic Solenoid Valve and the "T" at the Check Valve. Perhaps your Fwd Pneumatic Solenoid Valve did not close properly and water was allowed to get into the tube in question during water filling? I believe that there should be a Check Valve in line with the Air Pump output hose to prevent water from flowing back into the Air Pump (which will cause the motor to rust and eventually fail).

One of my concerns with these particular Pneumatic Solenoid Valves is that they are open 99.9% of the time (if you leave your machine plugged into the wall). Dirt can easily get trapped in the valve seats, and for that brief instant when that valve is called upon to close, it does not provide a tight seal. Personally, I un-plug my Keurig machine(s) when not in use by tripping my GFCI outlet next to my sink. That way, the valves are normally closed (and the coils un-energized) for 99% of the time.
EmmJayEff

Postby Coffee_ » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:55 am

I had the same problem with my coffeemaker - leaking solenoid above air pump caused pump motor failure. Well, i got air pump going but solenoid was leaking and it was no way to repair it. Plastic inside a coil cracked due to excess heat. So i removed a solenoid (Fwd) and blocked tubing by tightened them in a nut. I think that solenoid was installed for safety. If something happened to electronics (transistor shorted, etc.) and water pump didn't quit pumping after water level reached to a level sensor "Fwd" solenoid will open flow back to the reservoir. What i don't understand why they didn't use normally open solenoids.
Coffee_

Postby EmmJayEff » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:52 pm

For those who suffer from the rusty Air Pump problem in the Keurig B70 Platinum machine, I found a source for "new" KPM27H Air Pumps:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18784+MI

I talked to a sales person over the phone and she said that these were pulled from un-used Keurig coffee machines. I wound up ordering six (6) of them. Five (5) of them worked great and one (1) did not seem to have enough air pressure output. I mailed the dud back, and they promptly replaced it with a good unit and refunded my return shipping costs.

For the low price of $4.95 each (plus shipping), it might be worth ordering a couple to have on hand.
EmmJayEff

Postby EmmJayEff » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Coffee_ wrote:I had the same problem with my coffeemaker - leaking solenoid above air pump caused pump motor failure. Well, i got air pump going but solenoid was leaking and it was no way to repair it. Plastic inside a coil cracked due to excess heat. So i removed a solenoid (Fwd) and blocked tubing by tightened them in a nut. I think that solenoid was installed for safety. If something happened to electronics (transistor shorted, etc.) and water pump didn't quit pumping after water level reached to a level sensor "Fwd" solenoid will open flow back to the reservoir. What i don't understand why they didn't use normally open solenoids.

Coffee_,

Excellent point about Keurig not using normally-open solenoids. In the event of a solenoid failure, you would want the Keurig B70 machine to revert to a "safe" mode. A normally open solenoid would accomplish this objective. As is, with the normally closed solenoids, they would most likely fail in the normally closed state and provide no relief for the Water or Air Pump in the event of a needle blockage.

After performing an autopsy on the leaking Pneumatic Solenoid Valve shown in the pictures I previously posted, I am willing to bet that these particular valves (P/N: SH-V0829BC-R(C1)) are the cause of an incredible amount of Keurig coffee maker failures. These valves should only be used with air and never used with water. In fact, I am amazed that the Keurig B70 machine received an Underwriters Laboratories certification.

There is a piston that slides up and down an internal tube in the middle of the coil, and with the absence of any type of seal, water (and air for that matter) can leak past the piston and get into the coil. To add insult to injury, the piston has two “flats” on opposite ends allowing for even more leakage.

These solenoid valves are designed to leak, which is backed up by the “acceptable” leak rate in the manufacturer’s specifications:

http://shihhsin.en.ec21.com/offer_detai ... ml?gubun=S

I am sure that Keurig used this particular solenoid valve to save on manufacturing cost. Good solenoid valves are expensive. Food-grade solenoid valves are even more expensive.

I wonder if their newer machines (the ones that I have been experimenting with are December 2009 vintage) use a better/different solenoid valve?

I also wonder if their “for Work” brewers use a better/different solenoid valve?
EmmJayEff

Postby Joust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:28 am

are there better Solenoids that we can put in out machines to solve the problem?

Also it sounds like this machine is a prime candidate for a user community to hack. do we have any PIC programmers in the house?
it seems Keurig needs a new designer. I'm sure we could design a new pic chip to use normally open solenoids.
from their site:
"Engineer - Brewer Engineering
Reports to: Director, Electronics & Software Engineering

Keurig brewers are powered with an 8/16/32 bit microcontroller. Most of the peripheral circuits such as A/D, PWM are included in the MCU. As a senior member of our group, the Senior Electrical Engineer will be involved in all phases of the brewer electronic design. This includes basic analog and digital circuit, sensing and controlling, and microcontroller firmware design. The typical design will start with feasibility studies and simple circuit simulation. It then follows with schematic capture, PCB layout, components selection, PCB assembly, and finally firmware development. The position will be focusing on firmware design.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop the firmware / software for new Keurig beverage brewing systems
• Maintain and upgrade the current Keurig Coffee Brewers software
QUALIFICATIONS
• B.S. Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, M.S. preferred
• Minimum of 5 years embedded software development experience
• Embedded C and Assembly Language experience required
• Microchip PIC software development experience desirable
• Familiarity with basic electrical circuits required
• High volume consumer electronics / appliances experience preferred
• Experience with electro-mechanical parts such as pumps, valves, and motors, desirable
• Must be a results-oriented individual contributor committed to team success, and willing to do the simple or complicated tasks required to move the project forward
• Must be self motivated and able to work independently
• Excellent documentation and organizational skills
• Must be able to work effectively with all levels of personnel, including management, engineers, technicians, and temporary employees
Would you like to join the Keurig team?
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email to:
"
Joust

Postby jbviau » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 am

Joust, nice first post. Welcome. I like your idea. Hack away! ;)
Josh - Forum Moderator
jbviau

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines