Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Dissassembly + Repair Guide - Keurig B70 Platinum

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Dissassembly + Repair Guide - Keurig B70 Platinum

Postby EmmJayEff » Sun May 08, 2011 7:13 pm

forhoover,

Please check your Private Messages.
EmmJayEff

Postby gabe502000 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 pm

My B60 Brewer quit this morning like I shot it between the eyes. It's a replacement for the first Brewer I got in Nov '09, and which died the same way, in Oct'10. At 0600 I brewed my morning coffee, dealt with the daily news, & answered emails. 0800 arrived, and it was time for that 2nd cup of coffee and nothing! It had, just recently, began to occasionally "Short Cup" and I was planning on descaling the heating elements this week. Is there a fix for this? Keurig has already shipped my new brewer, & I expect it to arrive as quickly, as the last replacement did. However, I sure hate to toss the defective brewer, if I can repair it! :( Thanks! Gabe
"You never need a loaded weapon, until you need one very badly!" SFC Hugh Liscomb, My Seniorr Drill Instructor at Ft.Leonard Wood, Mo. April 1974
gabe502000

Postby blkvet95 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 pm

Had the same short cup, then no cup and brew staying on forever with no compressor sound after water pump turns off.

So I took mine apart tonight and found the same problem with the mini compressor motor shaft frozen due to corrosion. However, I found the culprit!

Seems the solenoid valve on the left vent hose (which vents back into the water resevoir) had leaked at one time down onto the transformer and then onto the compressor motor. I took the compressor apart (has some water droplets in it) and gently unfroze the shaft working it back and forth for about 15 minutes until entirely free. Then I reinstalled it. But, I made a cover for the motor out of a single piece of duct tape so that there is no way any dripping water can enter the motor again.

Put it all back together and everything works great again!

Seems as though this is the problem with a lot of these units....all apparently because of a leaky solenoid valve..... :x
blkvet95

Postby jbviau » Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 am

Welcome. ^^^ Great first post!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby EmmJayEff » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:00 pm

blkvet95,

I am working on a Keurig Platinum B70 that had the same leaky Pneumatic Solenoid Valve problem to the point where it actually blew out the primary windings of the Transformer. The result is a unit that will not turn on.

Here is a picture of the left side of the unit that shows the valve in question positioned above the Transformer:

and here is a close-up of the valve in question:

Excellent idea about putting an umbrella over the Air Pump. I would recommend also putting an umbrella over the Transformer.

I believe that the Pneumatic Solenoid Valve leaked as a result of overheating (a point that previous poster forhoover mentioned). As soon as the machine is plugged into the wall, 12 Vdc is applied to both valves causing them to open. They only close briefly when pumping water and brewing coffee. I believe that if you want to prolong the life or your machine and reduce the risk of leaking valves, you should un-plug your machine when not in use.
EmmJayEff

Postby WJThomas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:54 pm

I hate this post. I was about a score a broken B70 for free. During my discussions with the would be seller, I mentioned the wealth of information available in these forums. He was checking out the site and found this thread. He has made the repair himself and is quite pleased. I, on the other hand, lost out on a upgrade from my B40. At least I get the comfort of knowing that I was able to help someone save some money.

Seriously, this is a wonderful post and I hope many people who would have otherwise thrown out their broken machines are able to make a repair and get a few more years out of them.
WJThomas

Postby blkvet95 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Great pictures of that unit EmmaJay :)

As a fellow engineer,I just can't believe how such a overall well engineered unit has some pretty basic flaws literally built-in.

I'm sure they're more, however this leaking solenoid issue seems to be this unit's achile's heal :roll:

Sounds like they need to change the whole program in the unit so the solenoids are off until the brew cycle is initiated from what you're saying.

I'd love to find the flow diagram for this unit....haven't been able to find that anywhere on the internet yet.
blkvet95

Postby jar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:52 am

blkvet95 wrote:Great pictures of that unit EmmaJay :)

As a fellow engineer,I just can't believe how such a overall well engineered unit has some pretty basic flaws literally built-in.

I'm sure they're more, however this leaking solenoid issue seems to be this unit's achile's heal :roll:

Sounds like they need to change the whole program in the unit so the solenoids are off until the brew cycle is initiated from what you're saying.

I'd love to find the flow diagram for this unit....haven't been able to find that anywhere on the internet yet.

Circuit design 101.

Don't place water line fittings, drip loops or pumps over an electrical component.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby EmmJayEff » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:57 pm

blkvet95 wrote:...I'd love to find the flow diagram for this unit....haven't been able to find that anywhere on the internet yet.

I put together the attached document that includes a Theory of Operation and a Tube Routing Diagram for the Platinum B70 machine:

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.flynn3 ... 072112.pdf [updated 7/21/12]

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

jar,

The B60 Special Edition designers must have taken the Circuit Design 101 course because the Transformer is located on the other (right hand) side under the circuit board and away from the leaky valves.
Last edited by jbviau on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated theory of operation
EmmJayEff

Postby blkvet95 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Wow, great write up and schematic EmmaJay :)
blkvet95

Postby coffeecritt0r » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:26 am

hi! i'm new here and i found this blog while searching for a way to fix a b70.i'm no expert and this thread will probably help me LOADS! i have a broken keurig b70 here that a friend gave me to try if i could make it work. and yes, it does not pump water. it says ready to brew but no water. it is clean from minerals and tried the paper clip thing but still nothing :( practically looks new too.

i have started removing the plate at the bottom but can't get the frame out. seems that i have removed all the screw, i love coffee and i am hoping to get this b70 fixed. please help a damsel in distress... :cry:
coffeecritt0r

Postby coffeecritt0r » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:58 am

lol, it's almost 3am and i am now in the part where i have to push the clips in the cavity where the water basin was.i hope you guys will help me walk through the steps when i dismantled the machine. i might need to sleep first though :lol:

thank you!
coffeecritt0r

Postby jbviau » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:17 am

^^^ Welcome. I'm sure one of the more handy members will be along soon to help you out. Now get some sleep!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby coffeecritt0r » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

okay, with just a few hours of sleep, i have discovered that i do not have efficient tools for making this work. :(

i have put the parts back together and now, i don't know what to do with the machine. i really really want to try the keurig for a long time it's just i can't afford it. but now that someone gave it to me for repairs there could be a chance.

i wonder how much it will cost to have any of you guys to repair it? hmmm.. the only bad thing for this will be the cost of shipping though... but let me know and give me some quotes to see if i can afford it, thank you! :oops:
coffeecritt0r

Postby blkvet95 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Don't give up so easy.

The hardest part is getting off the top cover.

It has 4 very stiff tabs that fit into the body of the plastic shell and Keurig didn't exactly engineer this to be dissassembled.

Follow the instructions for dissassembly on the first page.

I'll try to guide you through the hard part.
blkvet95

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines