Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

CBTL water temperature

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

CBTL water temperature

Postby Ardy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am

What is the temperature of your CBTL machine? My Americano, on a blank coffee setting so it is just water, registered 160 degrees in the stream of water coming out, and 152 in the cup (cooling down when it hit the cup).

This seems quite low. Do the other models provide hotter temperatures? I read somewhere on here a nesspreso cupe had similar temps to the above but it brewed at 180 in the machine according to some tech specs. I had hoped the CBTLs would do better.
Ardy

Re: CBTL water temperature

Postby jar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:16 am

I see no way to actually measure the effective temperature in one of the Caffitaly machines since it is the temperature in the capsule itself that is important.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 am

Welcome, Ardy. Measuring brew temp. is always tricky. Are you trying because the coffee tastes too cool, or are you just curious?
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Ardy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:37 am

I am trying because the output seems not hot enough. In other machines I have used the coffee was almost too hot to drink and coffee in my travel mug remained nice and hot. On the Americano, drinking just a cup at home, it is noticeable not as hot. This is fine for a single cup, but my travel mug, even with prewarming, isn't working very well.

So my concern is the CBTLs in general, or my Americano specifically, don't produce hot enough output. I don't really care I guess about internal brew temps or what is ideal temperature for coffee or espresso, but I do want my coffee in my travel mug to last longer like it did before.

If others have similar temperatures in their output, or can say the CBTL isn't as hot as their Tassimo or Keurig, then I will try to find a way to heat it up more. But if people have outputs in the 180s or feel their CBTls are just as hot as other machines, then I need to look at a different CBTL model or get a different Americano.

Thanks!
Ardy

Postby jar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Ardy wrote:If others have similar temperatures in their output, or can say the CBTL isn't as hot as their Tassimo or Keurig, then I will try to find a way to heat it up more. But if people have outputs in the 180s or feel their CBTls are just as hot as other machines, then I need to look at a different CBTL model or get a different Americano.

Thanks!

Well, I don't use a travel mug so can't comment on it, but I'd say that the coffee I get from my Contata is not noticeably different than the Bunn MCP, my old OPOD, the FrancisFrancis X8, the Lavazza Blue, the Tassimo, my Moka pot ...
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby ranin02 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Ardy wrote:What is the temperature of your CBTL machine? My Americano, on a blank coffee setting so it is just water, registered 160 degrees in the stream of water coming out, and 152 in the cup (cooling down when it hit the cup).

This seems quite low. Do the other models provide hotter temperatures? I read somewhere on here a nesspreso cupe had similar temps to the above but it brewed at 180 in the machine according to some tech specs. I had hoped the CBTLs would do better.

I have never measured the temp, but to me the coffee from my Contata does seem a bit cooler than my Keurig. Still plenty hot enough, but I do tend to pre-warm my cup.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that if the machine has been on low power for a while, if I brew right when it says it is ready, it is not hot enough. I either need to wait a bit longer, or pull a shot of water to discard first.
ranin02

Postby jar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Remember that the CBTL machines, even when making coffee, are using a different method than conventional brewing, it is a moderate pressure technique (3.5BAR) similar to what you get with a Moka pot.
jar

Postby Ardy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Well CBTL support came through with the below and suggested I exchange the unit because of the large drop in temperature.

"The temperature on the CBTL Americano is factory set to approximately 185 degrees. However a 20-30 degree drop in temperature once in the cup seems high, unless the coffee is left sitting for a period of time."

So I guess I'll do that, but even at 185 factory setting cup temps are not going to reach the other machines I have experience with. Guess I may just have to drink faster. :-)
Ardy

Postby Ardy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:38 pm

jar wrote:Remember that the CBTL machines, even when making coffee, are using a different method than conventional brewing, it is a moderate pressure technique (3.5BAR) similar to what you get with a Moka pot.

Yeah, that makes sense and why trying to compare internal brew temps to determine quality other than final out temperature wouldn't make sense. But I think my unit isn't heating like it should. I'll measure temps more to be sure though.

Thanks all!
Ardy

Postby jar » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Ardy wrote:
jar wrote:Remember that the CBTL machines, even when making coffee, are using a different method than conventional brewing, it is a moderate pressure technique (3.5BAR) similar to what you get with a Moka pot.

Yeah, that makes sense and why trying to compare internal brew temps to determine quality other than final out temperature wouldn't make sense. But I think my unit isn't heating like it should. I'll measure temps more to be sure though.

Thanks all!

How does the coffee taste?
jar

Postby Ardy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:18 pm

jar wrote:
How does the coffee taste?

Delicious. :-) My concern was it didn't seem hot enough in the travel mug. I was able to exchange it tonight. The new machine registers 180 degrees in the stream at first, dropping to 165-170 or so (that or I am moving my hand and the probe is going in/out of the stream), and into a room temperature cup the water on the coffee setting doing a blank measures 168 degrees in the cup when done, whereas before I was getting low 150s. Not super exact I realize, and the travel mug in the morning I will preheat and see if I notice a difference, but this new machine seems to be producing hotter water at least.

And, with the initial out the nozzle measuring 180 degrees I feel good that, irregardless of what my travel mug sample does in the morning, I now have a machine that is working as intended.

And the proof is in the pudding...it tastes good. :-)
Ardy

Postby dsharp88 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:23 am

My CBTL Contata is hotter than all 3 Nespresso machines I've owned. Additionally, the CBTL machines can be adjusted hotter by, I believe, another 6 degrees. I haven't felt the need to do so.
dsharp88

Postby joshk » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:15 am

dsharp88 wrote:My CBTL Contata is hotter than all 3 Nespresso machines I've owned. Additionally, the CBTL machines can be adjusted hotter by, I believe, another 6 degrees. I haven't felt the need to do so.

Instructions for adjusting temp:

1. Switch the appliance off and raise the lever.
2. Keeping the short espresso and the brewed coffee buttons pressed down, turn on the machine.
3. The multifunction alarm light will stay on with a fixed red light.
4. Press the long espresso button to highlight the short espresso button. This will raise the temperature approximately 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Press the long espresso button to highlight the long espresso button. this will raise the temperature approximately another 1.5 degrees.
6. Press the long espresso button to highlight the brewed coffee button. This will raise the temperature approximately another 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Turn the machine off and on.

This might not work for the Americano or Briossa machines.

Source: copied from first comment posted at http://www.the-vu.com/2011/02/compariso ... -espresso/
joshk

Postby jar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 am

joshk wrote:
dsharp88 wrote:My CBTL Contata is hotter than all 3 Nespresso machines I've owned. Additionally, the CBTL machines can be adjusted hotter by, I believe, another 6 degrees. I haven't felt the need to do so.

Instructions for adjusting temp:

1. Switch the appliance off and raise the lever.
2. Keeping the short espresso and the brewed coffee buttons pressed down, turn on the machine.
3. The multifunction alarm light will stay on with a fixed red light.
4. Press the long espresso button to highlight the short espresso button. This will raise the temperature approximately 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. Press the long espresso button to highlight the long espresso button. this will raise the temperature approximately another 1.5 degrees.
6. Press the long espresso button to highlight the brewed coffee button. This will raise the temperature approximately another 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Turn the machine off and on.

This might not work for the Americano or Briossa machines.

Source: copied from first comment posted at http://www.the-vu.com/2011/02/compariso ... -espresso/

Hi Josh.

The Kaldi and Contata are adjustable for both drop volume and temperature, but I'm interested to see if the newer machines can be programed.
jar

Postby boberang » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 am

jar wrote:
Hi Josh.

The Kaldi and Contata are adjustable for both drop volume and temperature, but I'm interested to see if the newer machines can be programed.

On my Americano I tried with no luck. For step 2 I first tried with just the 8 ounce button down (with the short espresso), then with the four coffee (8, 10, 12, 9) and short down, then with the short espresso and 8, 10, and 12 down. None of these worked. I wish they did though. I can try the altering of the volume on the 8 cup if I find the instructions, but if it involves the first 3 steps above it won't work either. I never get the alarm light to stay on or do anything, all the lights just behave like they do when you turn the maker on normally.
boberang

Next

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines