Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby jar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Bekka wrote:
jar wrote:Bekka, I'd take that with a very large grain of salt. The flow pattern in the Caffitaly system is 180 degrees away from the K-fee system.


Oh Pooo!!!! So the Caffitaly capsules can work in the K-fee but not the other way around??? Is it really totally undoable??? Lets dissect a CBTL; how about member's non-working Americano, just to see the innards ; ) Also, on forums is mention of using Map capsules from officeworks (whatever that is) in Expressi brewers. The Map capsules are caffitaly, made for the Caffitaly MAP brewer which looks, almost.... if not.... exactly like the Kaldi. It seems the Map didn't go over very well in Europe. I invited the person who did the flicker 2 pages of photos-- capsules, drinks ,and on the second page he dissected the Expressi brewer -- to come over to the forum and talk to us. I'm curious why would any one want to take apart a good brewer??? If its dead on arrival, then ruling out the causes is necessary. All told the K-fee capsules aka Expressi do resemble the Ecaffe capsules; with the exception of the ridges. According to the poster of the flicker pictures, both are the same diameter and height.


So are the Lavazza Blue capsules and they use the same flow path as the K-Fee. The flow in the Caffitally system is bottom to top. The Lavazza and K-Fee are top to bottom. Look at where the filters are placed.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby djbass » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:07 am

Bekka wrote:Oh Pooo!!!! So the Caffitaly capsules can work in the K-fee but not the other way around??? Is it really totally undoable??? Lets dissect a CBTL; how about member's non-working Americano, just to see the innards ; ) Also, on forums is mention of using Map capsules from officeworks (whatever that is) in Expressi brewers. The Map capsules are caffitaly, made for the Caffitaly MAP brewer which looks, almost.... if not.... exactly like the Kaldi. It seems the Map didn't go over very well in Europe. I invited the person who did the flicker 2 pages of photos-- capsules, drinks ,and on the second page he dissected the Expressi brewer -- to come over to the forum and talk to us. I'm curious why would any one want to take apart a good brewer??? If its dead on arrival, then ruling out the causes is necessary. All told the K-fee capsules aka Expressi do resemble the Ecaffe capsules; with the exception of the ridges. According to the poster of the flicker pictures, both are the same diameter and height.


Well I'm here :p

It won't work due to the missing internal filter on the K-fee capsules. The K-fee system relies on extracting via a very small hole in the bottom of the capsule under pressure, small enough the grinds don't escape. Caffitaly pods work on the K-fee machines because of it's simpler design, the extra coffee and internal filter cause the flow rate to drop and increased pressure but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the machine, on the other hand since the internal filter is critical to the operation of the Caffitaly machines it allows the grinds to escape into the cup during brewing, it's also worth mentioning that the K-fee capsules are only half full unlike the Caffitally capsules.

http://flic.kr/p/aPxR4F
http://flic.kr/p/aPxQY2

For all intents and pruposes the Caffitaly design is much better, and by far you guys have the better range since a large number of vendors are licensing the capsules, why you would want the K-fee capsules is beyond me.

As for pulling apart a perfectly good machine... because I can :)

They sell for $79 AUD and have a 2 year replacement warranty so I'm not too worried if I break anything, I also work in an industry where stripping machines to bits and rebuilding them is something I do everyday so I'm used to it.

jar wrote:So are the Lavazza Blue capsules and they use the same flow path as the K-Fee. The flow in the Caffitally system is bottom to top. The Lavazza and K-Fee are top to bottom. Look at where the filters are placed.


I'm afraid the manufacturer disagrees with you:

http://www.caffitaly.com/pages/standard.aspx?id=17
http://static.sg.groupon-content.net/27 ... 775427.jpg

Caffitaly also flow top to bottom but the hole pattern and filter system is different.
djbass
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby Bekka » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 am

Welcome aboard djbass ; ) Ok, dissection of coffee brewers is a lot less messy than cutting up frogs in biology class; and a lot less stinky too. For my part I was hoping those capsules could be used in the Caffitaly on the off chance that SBuxs does rebadge the K-fee. Would be nice to reach for a SBux capsule; K-fee capsules, for me, would be secondary. All told the coffees and espressos for the CBTL, the ones that we can get here in the states including CBTL's own, are very good!!! And there are hints of expansion of beverages coming soon. Cat out of the bag the only new beverage directly mentioned on FB was hot chocolate, due to the clamor of having a hot chocolate button on the newer brewers and no hot chocolate capsule; CBTL would give no hint at all of what the other beverages will be. Host on FB mentioned late March & early April a few months back for when we might see those new beverages. There was also mention that CBTL is looking at the development of reuseable capsules. That was mentioned in a few of the posts from hosts. If so, I think those brewers would sell more intensely. There was a short poll on FB about what tea we would like to see, green tea & I can't remember the other they had in the poll, so I'm wondering if perhaps they are looking at another tea. Hopefully, green tea if they do. Ok, I've rambled on ; ) Glad you made it over!!!!
Bekka
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby Bekka » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 am

One thing I forgot to ask djbass, does the K-fee have a dual pressure system like the CBTL??? SBuxs has made mention that their future machine makes espressos and "coffees", and I'm not so sure 19 bars of pressure is going to produce a good cup of regular joes???
Bekka
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby jar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 am

djbass wrote:
jar wrote:So are the Lavazza Blue capsules and they use the same flow path as the K-Fee. The flow in the Caffitally system is bottom to top. The Lavazza and K-Fee are top to bottom. Look at where the filters are placed.


I'm afraid the manufacturer disagrees with you:

http://www.caffitaly.com/pages/standard.aspx?id=17
http://static.sg.groupon-content.net/27 ... 775427.jpg

Caffitaly also flow top to bottom but the hole pattern and filter system is different.


Hi, welcome home. Of course you may be correct since I have not taken a Caffitaly machine apart to follow the full flow path. But if you look at the Caffitaly machines, the capsule is inserted with the top towards the spout.

Image

Image

There is also the evidence from the coffee capsules seen at the upper left in this photo.

Image

That larger hole makes sense as a way to manage flow rates at a lower pressure intake, but not much sense as an outlet.

I've worked with advertising departments and it's not all that unusual for them to be a little creative in their displays.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby jbviau » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:32 am

djbass wrote:Well I'm here :p

+1 on the welcome. Australia in the house!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
User avatar
jbviau
 
Posts: 7835
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby caffita.info » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 pm

jar wrote:That larger hole makes sense as a way to manage flow rates at a lower pressure intake, but not much sense as an outlet.

I've worked with advertising departments and it's not all that unusual for them to be a little creative in their displays.


Some fact which might help:
a) I can 100% confirm that on cafisssimo caffitaly coffee machines the water goes from top to bottom. See last picture in the gallery: http://www.caffita.info/coffee-machines/tchibo-coffee-machines/cafissimo-duo/ Coffee goes out almost directly from the capsule.
b) Regarding large cut out on some caffitaly capsules, i do have a one coffe type from tchibo which i do have in both version. Same coffee and one with and one without large cutout. It is primarly used for long espresso function.
c) Some caffitaly drinks does not have any filters. As far i understand, filters are just for better preasure distribution within the capsule. In some cases, not enough space (choccolate).
http://www.caffita.info - Ultimate Caffitaly/CBTL coffee guide. Join the project!
User avatar
caffita.info
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Czech Republic, EU

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby caffita.info » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:16 pm

jar wrote:What was the shipping method and was it trackable?


Slovakia national post office. :) Method is called mezinarodny balik (international parcel), 1st class (that mean air post). Tracking no, i have not ask and i did not seen any code on the confirmation.
http://www.caffita.info - Ultimate Caffitaly/CBTL coffee guide. Join the project!
User avatar
caffita.info
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Czech Republic, EU

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby jar » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:17 pm

caffita.info wrote:
jar wrote:That larger hole makes sense as a way to manage flow rates at a lower pressure intake, but not much sense as an outlet.

I've worked with advertising departments and it's not all that unusual for them to be a little creative in their displays.


Some fact which might help:
a) I can 100% confirm that on cafisssimo caffitaly coffee machines the water goes from top to bottom. See last picture in the gallery: http://www.caffita.info/coffee-machines/tchibo-coffee-machines/cafissimo-duo/ Coffee goes out almost directly from the capsule.
b) Regarding large cut out on some caffitaly capsules, i do have a one coffe type from tchibo which i do have in both version. Same coffee and one with and one without large cutout. It is primarly used for long espresso function.
c) Some caffitaly drinks does not have any filters. As far i understand, filters are just for better preasure distribution within the capsule. In some cases, not enough space (choccolate).


Link to last picture doesn't complete but from the small version it looks like you're right and I'm wrong.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby boberang » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:37 pm

caffita.info wrote:
jar wrote:What was the shipping method and was it trackable?


Slovakia national post office. :) Method is called mezinarodny balik (international parcel), 1st class (that mean air post). Tracking no, i have not ask and i did not seen any code on the confirmation.


LOL, well, I will get at least delivery confirmation via sneaker net (my walking to get the package) once it arrives. :lol:
boberang
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:47 am

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby djbass » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 am

Bekka wrote:One thing I forgot to ask djbass, does the K-fee have a dual pressure system like the CBTL??? SBuxs has made mention that their future machine makes espressos and "coffees", and I'm not so sure 19 bars of pressure is going to produce a good cup of regular joes???


No, only a Large cup and Small cup button, that dispenses more or less water respectively (the quantity can be programmed).

It is a German designed machine, and us Europeans/Aussies prefer espresso, making it strong and black is a US phenomenon. That is why the CBTL capsules with the foil bottom were puzzling to me until I realised it was designed to immitate old-school drip-coffee which is very rare to see in Australia.

jar wrote:Hi, welcome home. Of course you may be correct since I have not taken a Caffitaly machine apart to follow the full flow path. But if you look at the Caffitaly machines, the capsule is inserted with the top towards the spout.


Looks like CBTL has deviated from the standard design a little, it's possible that it does feed that way but why they would do that I have no idea.

Most Caffitaly machines load top down like this:

http://shimworld.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =620&h=465
djbass
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby caffita.info » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:37 am

jar wrote:Link to last picture doesn't complete but from the small version it looks like you're right and I'm wrong.


Lets try this:
Image

Exactly same are for sure all old style coffee machines such as Tchibo Cafissimo Classic, Gaggia K111, Saffitaly S02 and OSC3000.
http://www.caffita.info - Ultimate Caffitaly/CBTL coffee guide. Join the project!
User avatar
caffita.info
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 am
Location: Czech Republic, EU

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby jar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 am

djbass wrote:
Bekka wrote:One thing I forgot to ask djbass, does the K-fee have a dual pressure system like the CBTL??? SBuxs has made mention that their future machine makes espressos and "coffees", and I'm not so sure 19 bars of pressure is going to produce a good cup of regular joes???


No, only a Large cup and Small cup button, that dispenses more or less water respectively (the quantity can be programmed).

It is a German designed machine, and us Europeans/Aussies prefer espresso, making it strong and black is a US phenomenon. That is why the CBTL capsules with the foil bottom were puzzling to me until I realised it was designed to immitate old-school drip-coffee which is very rare to see in Australia.

jar wrote:Hi, welcome home. Of course you may be correct since I have not taken a Caffitaly machine apart to follow the full flow path. But if you look at the Caffitaly machines, the capsule is inserted with the top towards the spout.


Looks like CBTL has deviated from the standard design a little, it's possible that it does feed that way but why they would do that I have no idea.

Most Caffitaly machines load top down like this:

http://shimworld.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =620&h=465


The CBTL Contata is the Caffitaly SO3 and the Kaldi is the Caffitaly SO4 just rebranded by CBTL.

I wonder if the design is bidirectional so that it works either top or bottom feed?
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby roadie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 pm

roadie wrote:
boberang wrote:Actually I just noticed I DID order some drinking chocolate! YES!!! Glad I didn't miss that.

I hope the decaf is good. It is so had trying to find good decaf to drink.

BTW, they ship fast and it doesn't take too long, I ordered over the weekend:

Ship date Mar 5, 2012
Estimated delivery Mar 12, 2012 by 4:30 PM


Boberang,

I just took the plunge too!

Just ordered:

2 - Meinl Mocca
2 - Meinl Melange
2 - Meinl Kleiner Brauner
6 - Meinl Melange Decaf

Total - $67.99 which includes the shipping. So, price per capsule $68/120 = $0.57 per capsule. If you use the 20% coupon from BB&B, their price for a 16 count box is $11.00. So, with the coupon, it's $8.80/16 = $0.55 per capsule, but, now you have to throw in tax on the amount of boxes you buy and suddenly ordering from Europe doesn't sound so bad. Of course if you order online from BB&B, you also have to throw in S?H.


Update.

Got my order today. Can't believe it. I ordered it last Friday, March 9, and received it today March 14.Five days from Austria, are you kidding me?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
User avatar
roadie
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Glendale, NY

Re: Caffitaly Owners Club Corner.

Postby Bekka » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:35 am

So if this is the case, the K-fee and possibly the future Verismo capsules may very well work in our deviated CBTLs????

djbass wrote:
Bekka wrote:One thing I forgot to ask djbass, does the K-fee have a dual pressure system like the CBTL??? SBuxs has made mention that their future machine makes espressos and "coffees", and I'm not so sure 19 bars of pressure is going to produce a good cup of regular joes???


No, only a Large cup and Small cup button, that dispenses more or less water respectively (the quantity can be programmed).

It is a German designed machine, and us Europeans/Aussies prefer espresso, making it strong and black is a US phenomenon. That is why the CBTL capsules with the foil bottom were puzzling to me until I realised it was designed to immitate old-school drip-coffee which is very rare to see in Australia.

jar wrote:Hi, welcome home. Of course you may be correct since I have not taken a Caffitaly machine apart to follow the full flow path. But if you look at the Caffitaly machines, the capsule is inserted with the top towards the spout.


Looks like CBTL has deviated from the standard design a little, it's possible that it does feed that way but why they would do that I have no idea.

Most Caffitaly machines load top down like this:

http://shimworld.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =620&h=465
Bekka
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest