Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

BPA Health Concerns

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

BPA Health Concerns

Postby azkcupfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:54 pm

I posted a similar post in the Single Serve Coffee Machines forum, but I'm interested in hearing from all of you k-cup users so I'm posting here as well.

My Keurig Platinum B70 died just under 2 years (gotta love Amex's extended warranty program!) and I'm deciding whether to replace it with with another B70 or switch to a pod machine. With all the recent news about BPA health concerns from plastic, I have to wonder whether K-cups are a safe coffee brewing method. First, water is stored in a plastic recycle #6 container which is said to contain BPA. Then hot water runs through the plastic k-cup holder and finally through a plastic k-cup, and heat is said to extract BPA.

Does anyone else have concerns with the long-term use of k-cups? I absolutely love the B70 (except for the short life of my last one), but I can't help but think it's not worth the supposed health risks of BPA.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
azkcupfan

Postby jar » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Life is short. Enjoy it while you are here.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby mrfett » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 am

Could you send a message to Green Mountain Coffee Roasters? They seem to take this kind of thing seriously. It would be terrific if you could write to them and then come back here and post their response. I haven't given any thought to your concerns, but am curious about some of what you are asserting. Are you saying the water reservoir has BPA? The K-Cups also?
Coffee: Prefer Light Roast with 1 Half & Half
Brewers: Breville BKC600XL, Nespresso Le Cube C185, Red Keurig B30, Aeropress
mrfett

Postby JEFFH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:10 am

Plastic Type 3 & 7 are known to leach BPA but I had not heard that type 6 also has this problem.
A study done on plastic water bottles showed that the more times you refilled them and used them the less and less BPA leached.
A plastic water reservoir I would suspect would also leach less and less the more times it was used.
I have always detected a odor and taste when using new machines with a plastic reservoir however it tends to go away with continued use.
I had a tuesday morning Opod about 8 months ago that the odor and taste were very strong and after repeated flushing I could not get rid of it and returned it.

I see a valid reason for conceren considering Alot of these SSC machines are manufactured in China. Their reputation is not very good in the health and safety of items they have exported to the USA.
Coffee preference:
Dark Roasts--Splash of milk & Splenda
Med Roasts--Black

Machines:
Bunn my Cafe
Keruig B70
JEFFH

Postby VydorScope » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 am

JEFFH wrote:A study done on plastic water bottles showed that the more times you refilled them and used them the less and less BPA leached.

Then I have gotten all my BPA out of my tank long ago! :lol:
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby Alice2 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 am

I just don't wanna think about it. :?
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby sweaner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am

I am always skeptical of these health scares.

Since the advent of plastic, what has happened to our lifespans?
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby NDJollyMon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:19 pm

Very interesting question.

Who is the plastic expert around here? I need some answers...
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Chaunacey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm

I try to avoid BPA if possible, especially in children's products.

I emailed Keurig just last week regarding this matter and received the following response.
--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Chaunacey,

Thank you for your inquiry. We do use a variety of plastics in our Brewers and some contain BPA. Our Cold Water Reservoir does not contain BPA. However, as you may be aware, the FDA recently reviewed its safety standards associated with BPA and has again, affirmatively stated that products containing BPA currently on the market are safe. For more information on this recent FDA pronouncement, you may want to check out the following link: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/bpa.html

The K-Cup itself is not heated directly and is FDA approved for food use in our Brewers. In addition we regularly review the components used in our products to ensure that they are safe in every way, as well as meet or exceed applicable FDA standards.

Again, thank you and if we can assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Gail Prezios
Supervisor
Keurig Customer Service
CSRAH@keurig.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I responded by expressing my gratitude that she answered part of my question, but that I still was unsure of whether the K-cups themselves contained BPA.

I did not receive any further response.

As to some of the earlier comments, I am also under the impression that #6 is BPA free.

As for contacting Green Mountain, I would imagine the packaging requirements would be in the licensing contract and thus decided by Keurig, but that is just an assumption. Is anyone informed about that issue?
Chaunacey

Postby mrfett » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Green Mountain is the parent company of Keurig now I think.
Coffee: Prefer Light Roast with 1 Half & Half
Brewers: Breville BKC600XL, Nespresso Le Cube C185, Red Keurig B30, Aeropress
mrfett

Postby Chaunacey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:38 pm

mrfett wrote:Green Mountain is the parent company of Keurig now I think.

Ah! Now I understand.
Chaunacey

Postby Chaunacey » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 am

FYI.

I got an update from CS stating that the engineers have confirmed that the K-cups themselves do not contain BPA.
Chaunacey

BPA --- The Latest

Postby coffeefiendFTC » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Has anyone heard anything further from Keurig on the BPA components of their various units?

I know the cups are free from BPA but I've not heard a lot about the units themselves.

Curious Consumer.
coffeefiendFTC

Postby jbviau » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Welcome. The water reservoirs are also reportedly BPA-free.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby Kari » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:35 am

BTW, all recycle #7 means is that it doesn't fit into the other categories...it doesn't necessarily mean it contains BPA. Just thought I'd throw that out there. It means "Other"...it's just a catchall.
Kari

Next

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews