Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

BEST COFFEE MAKER WITHOUT PODS

Dolce Gusto, Nespresso, Lavazza, and others.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

BEST COFFEE MAKER WITHOUT PODS

Postby mchbl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:49 am

Hey,

I am looking for the best Xmas present for my boyfriend and he wanted a desktop / small espresso maker where you don't need to buy pods / capsules etc. but can choose your own coffee.

1) What is the best coffee maker for using your own coffee? He likes espressos with a bit of cream on top.... So far I found mainly coffee makers in this forum where you need to buy the capsules as well...

2) Did someone make the math how much cheaper it really is to use your own espresso instead of buying pods or capsules from Nespressos and the other competitors? I know it depends on the pods and which espresso you buy yourself, but is there a rough bracket?

Thanks for replies!
mchbl

Re: BEST COFFEE MAKER WITHOUT PODS

Postby jbviau » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 am

Welcome! Someone will be around before too long with some specific help, I'm sure, though most of us are into single-serve machines that take pods, capsules, etc. In the meantime, what's your budget?

p.s. There *are* little aftermarket gadgets for the Nespresso that allow you to use your own coffee. I'm just not sure how well they work...
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby mchbl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 am

Well the budget is around £80 / 100 dollars.
I am sure I would find some extra cash as my bf is such a lovely guy. It's just it seems a bit of a waste to spend too much on a machine for the office and not for our own home.

Btw I am quite impressed by the profile pic. Do you know how to do the monkey coffee froth? :)
mchbl

Postby jbviau » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:16 am

mchbl wrote:Btw I am quite impressed by the profile pic. Do you know how to do the monkey coffee froth? :)

Ha, no I'm not that talented!

Believe it or not, $100 or so won't go very far in the world of espresso machines. Would you consider buying used? Otherwise, you might take a look at the Aeropress. While it doesn't give you true espresso, many people love the coffee it makes.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby mchbl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 am

I used to have the Aeropress and wasn't so impressed as most of the reviews said. I think it will be quite a mess for the office (well also as it's a suit and white shirt environment)....

I could really up the budget, just need some help to be pointed in the right direction....
Read somewhere about the Capresso 303.01 4-Cup Espresso and Cappuccino Machine which had quite good reviews and you seem to be able to use your own coffee. Does maybe anyone know that one?
mchbl

Postby dsharp88 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:20 am

Not crazy about the Aeropress. Nespresso makes true espresso or, for a larger Americano-style cup, lungos.

You can save half the money by using your own beans, ground up, tamped, and pulled, but you spend a LOT more in having to also buy a grinder, taking up far more counter space, adjusting to the learning curve necessary to pull a great shot, taking up the time to dose out the proper amount, apply the proper tamping pressure, timing the pull, and, worst of all after it's all done, the clean up time afterwards.
dsharp88

Postby sweaner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:18 pm

You will never be able to make decent espresso with a $100 machine using your own coffee. For that you also need a good grinder and a quality espresso machine. A used setup would be at least $300-400.

I suggest looking at the Nespresso machines. True, he will need to buy their capsules, but the convenience should be worth it.
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Return to Other Single Serve Coffee Machines