Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Any 100% Kona K-Cups?

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Any 100% Kona K-Cups?

Postby aab1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 am

I almost only drink loose leaf tea using the My K Cup adapter but on rare occasions I do drink coffee and for those times I want to have really good coffee and would prefer K-Cups so each portion stays fresh since I so rarely drink coffee. When I had my Melitta 1:1 many years ago I had gotten Kona pods and they were my favorite coffee. Since there are like 150 times of K-Cups I was certain I'd find 100% Kona K-Cups but there seem to only be Kona blends, am I right?

Looks like I may have to get it in pods and empty them in My K Cup (not sure it would be worth getting the pod holster if I'd use it so rarely).

Other than Kona, what K-Cups of coffee are really good? I think I prefer a light roast by the way.
aab1

Postby jbviau » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am

You're right about there being no 100% Kona k-cups. See the link to my review thread in my signature below for what I think are good k-cups, but you might want to check out NDJollymon's thread instead since he's more into light and medium roasts like you seem to enjoy.

As an aside, if I had some 100% Kona grounds, I'd brew them some other way than in the My K-cup. Maybe a French Press or one of those over-the-cup drip filters. I just don't think you'd get the most out of the beans using the My K-cup. The brew cycle is too fast.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby NDJollyMon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 pm

I agree with Josh.
100% Kona is expensive...and I would use a better means to extract the coffee.

If you like Light Roast K-cups, try GM Heifer Hope or GM Columbian.
GM Kona Blend isn't bad...but they are only 10% Kona, and 90% Central American. (Guatemalan I believe)
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby jar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 am

jbviau wrote:As an aside, if I had some 100% Kona grounds, I'd brew them some other way than in the My K-cup. Maybe a French Press or one of those over-the-cup drip filters. I just don't think you'd get the most out of the beans using the My K-cup. The brew cycle is too fast.

I've had pretty good luck using ground Kona and the My K-cup. I do have to pulse the brew cycle though but with my old B-40, that's easy.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby jbviau » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am

How many pulses do you use, jar? I'm also curious which Kona you favor.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

Postby aab1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

jar wrote:
jbviau wrote:As an aside, if I had some 100% Kona grounds, I'd brew them some other way than in the My K-cup. Maybe a French Press or one of those over-the-cup drip filters. I just don't think you'd get the most out of the beans using the My K-cup. The brew cycle is too fast.

I've had pretty good luck using ground Kona and the My K-cup. I do have to pulse the brew cycle though but with my old B-40, that's easy.

It's easy to pulse using the B70 also, just open and close the lid and it will pause when the lid is opened.

I've found that using a finer grain eliminates the need for that. For coffee I use an espresso very fine grind and for tea I also grind the leaves finely and it eliminates having to pulse.
aab1

Postby jar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:29 pm

jbviau wrote:How many pulses do you use, jar? I'm also curious which Kona you favor.

Depends. Right now some Surfin' Ass. I often use four pauses.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
jar

Postby BooksCatsCoffee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:47 pm

To keep things simple, wouldn't the K-Cup Holster and some 100% Kona Pods work? The few times I've used the Holster it does a fine job of brewing a pod, but ymmv, of course.

aab1, I know you usually use the My K-Cup, but if you only want a cup of Kona every once and a while, I'd think the Holster/Pod route would help keep the coffee fresher since the pods are sealed. Just my take.

(Yes, I realize that a freshly ground cup of Kona is amazing! :mrgreen: )
Nespresso Pixie (office)
Nespresso Citiz
Handpresso Wild
Breville, and Keurig Mini (office)
BooksCatsCoffee

Postby springles » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:24 pm

A little off topic but you guys were talking about pulsing the coffee and I have had trouble doing that with my B66. When I open the lid (just a drop) and then close it the machine gives a random amount of coffee, sometimes more than the 5.25 oz and sometimes less. Any ideas?
springles

Postby springles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 pm

springles wrote:A little off topic but you guys were talking about pulsing the coffee and I have had trouble doing that with my B66. When I open the lid (just a drop) and then close it the machine gives a random amount of coffee, sometimes more than the 5.25 oz and sometimes less. Any ideas?

no help on this?
springles

Postby jar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 pm

springles wrote:
springles wrote:A little off topic but you guys were talking about pulsing the coffee and I have had trouble doing that with my B66. When I open the lid (just a drop) and then close it the machine gives a random amount of coffee, sometimes more than the 5.25 oz and sometimes less. Any ideas?

no help on this?

Don't think the 66 and some other digital models can do it. (he posts while enjoying a 100% Kona pod)
jar

Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews