Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Any 100% Kona K-Cups?

Write your reviews of K-Cups and Vue Packs you find here.

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Any 100% Kona K-Cups?

Postby aab1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 am

I almost only drink loose leaf tea using the My K Cup adapter but on rare occasions I do drink coffee and for those times I want to have really good coffee and would prefer K-Cups so each portion stays fresh since I so rarely drink coffee. When I had my Melitta 1:1 many years ago I had gotten Kona pods and they were my favorite coffee. Since there are like 150 times of K-Cups I was certain I'd find 100% Kona K-Cups but there seem to only be Kona blends, am I right?

Looks like I may have to get it in pods and empty them in My K Cup (not sure it would be worth getting the pod holster if I'd use it so rarely).

Other than Kona, what K-Cups of coffee are really good? I think I prefer a light roast by the way.
aab1
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby jbviau » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:37 am

You're right about there being no 100% Kona k-cups. See the link to my review thread in my signature below for what I think are good k-cups, but you might want to check out NDJollymon's thread instead since he's more into light and medium roasts like you seem to enjoy.

As an aside, if I had some 100% Kona grounds, I'd brew them some other way than in the My K-cup. Maybe a French Press or one of those over-the-cup drip filters. I just don't think you'd get the most out of the beans using the My K-cup. The brew cycle is too fast.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
User avatar
jbviau
 
Posts: 7848
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Postby NDJollyMon » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 pm

I agree with Josh.
100% Kona is expensive...and I would use a better means to extract the coffee.

If you like Light Roast K-cups, try GM Heifer Hope or GM Columbian.
GM Kona Blend isn't bad...but they are only 10% Kona, and 90% Central American. (Guatemalan I believe)
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
____________
Keurig: B130 ~ B-60 SE
Cuisinart SS-1
Handpresso Wild
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
User avatar
NDJollyMon
 
Posts: 3399
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 pm
Location: ND, USA...help!

Postby jar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 am

jbviau wrote:As an aside, if I had some 100% Kona grounds, I'd brew them some other way than in the My K-cup. Maybe a French Press or one of those over-the-cup drip filters. I just don't think you'd get the most out of the beans using the My K-cup. The brew cycle is too fast.


I've had pretty good luck using ground Kona and the My K-cup. I do have to pulse the brew cycle though but with my old B-40, that's easy.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!

Postby jbviau » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 am

How many pulses do you use, jar? I'm also curious which Kona you favor.
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
User avatar
jbviau
 
Posts: 7848
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Postby aab1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

jar wrote:
jbviau wrote:As an aside, if I had some 100% Kona grounds, I'd brew them some other way than in the My K-cup. Maybe a French Press or one of those over-the-cup drip filters. I just don't think you'd get the most out of the beans using the My K-cup. The brew cycle is too fast.


I've had pretty good luck using ground Kona and the My K-cup. I do have to pulse the brew cycle though but with my old B-40, that's easy.


It's easy to pulse using the B70 also, just open and close the lid and it will pause when the lid is opened.

I've found that using a finer grain eliminates the need for that. For coffee I use an espresso very fine grind and for tea I also grind the leaves finely and it eliminates having to pulse.
aab1
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:11 pm

Postby jar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:29 pm

jbviau wrote:How many pulses do you use, jar? I'm also curious which Kona you favor.


Depends. Right now some Surfin' Ass. I often use four pauses.
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!

Postby BooksCatsCoffee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:47 pm

To keep things simple, wouldn't the K-Cup Holster and some 100% Kona Pods work? The few times I've used the Holster it does a fine job of brewing a pod, but ymmv, of course.

aab1, I know you usually use the My K-Cup, but if you only want a cup of Kona every once and a while, I'd think the Holster/Pod route would help keep the coffee fresher since the pods are sealed. Just my take.

(Yes, I realize that a freshly ground cup of Kona is amazing! :mrgreen: )
Nespresso Pixie (office)
Nespresso Citiz
Handpresso Wild
Breville, and Keurig Mini (office)
User avatar
BooksCatsCoffee
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: Northern California

Postby springles » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:24 pm

A little off topic but you guys were talking about pulsing the coffee and I have had trouble doing that with my B66. When I open the lid (just a drop) and then close it the machine gives a random amount of coffee, sometimes more than the 5.25 oz and sometimes less. Any ideas?
springles
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Postby springles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 pm

springles wrote:A little off topic but you guys were talking about pulsing the coffee and I have had trouble doing that with my B66. When I open the lid (just a drop) and then close it the machine gives a random amount of coffee, sometimes more than the 5.25 oz and sometimes less. Any ideas?

no help on this?
springles
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Postby jar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:05 pm

springles wrote:
springles wrote:A little off topic but you guys were talking about pulsing the coffee and I have had trouble doing that with my B66. When I open the lid (just a drop) and then close it the machine gives a random amount of coffee, sometimes more than the 5.25 oz and sometimes less. Any ideas?

no help on this?


Don't think the 66 and some other digital models can do it. (he posts while enjoying a 100% Kona pod)
Anyone so limited as to be able to spell a word only one way is severely handicapped.
User avatar
jar
 
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Texas!!!


Return to K-Cups & Vue Packs - K-Cup | Vue Pack Reviews

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests