Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Algae or mold problem in Keurig

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Algae or mold problem in Keurig

Postby phoofy » Thu May 22, 2008 8:51 pm

I've just about had it with my B70! Algae or mold or whatever is that green stuff keeps growing inside the water tank! I try to scrub out as much of it as I can, but a lot of it is around that part at the bottom where the black disc floats -- not the easiest place to reach with a sponge or toothbrush.

Even if I keep the B70 out of direct sunlight, I guess unless I completely get rid of all traces of it, it's going to keep growing back.

I'm seriously considering retiring the B70. I use mostly pods with the holster anyway. Too bad none of the Tuesday Mornings near me have any OPODs because I'd get one to replace the Keurig in a heartbeat. Or I might just break down and get an SS1 ...

Any ideas? Can I rinse the tank out with bleach if it will kill/dissolve the green stuff that I just can't reach??
phoofy

Postby mattsense » Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Done a Vinegar cycle? How long are you letting standing water stay in there? Are you using tap water?
Matt's Pod Reviews!
Matt's K-Cup Reviews

Bunn MyCafe, Keurig B60 SE, Clever Coffee Dripper
mattsense

Postby phoofy » Thu May 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Hmmm, haven't done a vinegar cycle. Will try that tonight.

Well, OK, I was out of town for two nights and when I got home today I noticed lots of green stuff. Though the machine usually gets used every day, so water isn't normally standing for too long and still we get green. And I use filtered water from my Brita pitcher.
phoofy

Postby coffeewiz » Fri May 23, 2008 7:38 am

The only way to get rid of this is to use a cap full of Bleach to approx one gallon of water... then you really need to flush the tank very well ... nothing elase will really work ..
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby phoofy » Fri May 23, 2008 12:31 pm

The vinegar didn't help. :(

If I go the bleach route, about how many times/full tank would I go through to fully flush out the bleach?

Since this is a recurring problem, are there any preventative measures I could take? Is the filtered water helping or hurting? Our tap isn't bad, but I prefer filtered water, and I refuse to buy bottled water (for several reasons).

Or should I give up and buy a new SSC that doesn't have a see-through water tank?
phoofy

Postby Bucfanmike » Fri May 23, 2008 1:27 pm

i cant verify this or not but alice2 (a ssc regular if you dont know her) swears that by adding a couple drops of oregano juice you will never have a growth problem. It appears that she knows her health food store items very well and I dont question her on those types of things. may be worth looking into if you have a continual problem. Oh and it supposedly has no taste effect on the water.
Hi, Im Mike and I have an addiction...
i have tried them all and ended up with:
Nespresso Romeo E350,
Grindmaster OPOD, Toddy Cold Press, Cuisinart ss-1
and now home roasting with HG/BM method
Bucfanmike

Postby jeff1014 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm looking at your problem with the agae and relating it to my pool. With the pool, unless you have a salt water system(the absolute best I think) you are constantly having to maintain a chlorine level and and then shocking your pool, sometimes weekly. By following this regimen you can hopefully stay ahead of the growth. With your water tank you have a couple of advantages. First you have the size and secondly you have the ability to completely dry it out. Before we discuss cleaning your machine you state you use filtered water. Does your brita pitcher remove the chlorine from the water?? If so, you need the chlorine in the water to keep the agae down or out. Secondly, because you have a problem already you need to basically shock your system. The chlorine bleach is probably the easiest way to do it. Look at this as more than a one hour job. I would soak your tank in the chlorine bleach mixture for several hours, and even perhaps flush your system with a fresh tank of the bleach water. Dry your water tank as well as you can and then let it air dry for a day or two.

I know the purists say to keep the water impurities out of your water used for brewing because it affects your finished cup of coffee and I agree with this. But, if you have a tank of water that is room temperature or a bit higher with low or no chlorine in the standing water of the tank we all are asking for trouble. People who drink a lot of coffee daily don't have this problem as much because they are cycling their water in the tank every day.
Bunn My Cafe-Tassimo-Cuisinart SS-1
Keurig B 60 (retired)
Senseo (the $15 one)
all above destroyed by lightning except the Senseo and replaced with
New Tassimo, new Bunn MC-1 new Keurig VUE v600
Coffee Preference=Black, strong,rich & smooth
jeff1014

Postby coffeewiz » Fri May 23, 2008 4:06 pm

I have to respectfully disagree about soaking the tank for several hours in a chlorine solution ... this will easily cause the tank to pit resulting in more problems... Too much bleach for too long will do damage to your machine...

Algae will tend to grow in your tank if your coffee machine is in direct sunlight and or if you are using soft water. Although it is neccessary to have a bit of chlorine in the water as that water makes it way to your house it will have a horrible effect on the way your coffee tastes. It is a very good idea to use a water filter that will remove chlorine before using tap water in your coffee machine.... Since coffee is 99% water the better the water the better the coffee... :):)
Single Cup Coffee Superstore! Over 500+ Coffee Pods, Keurig, Tassimo, Dolce Gusto. and More!! http://www.coffeewiz.com
coffeewiz

Postby kupokoffee » Fri May 23, 2008 5:01 pm

Best purchase I have made this year is a ZeroWater filter and cooler.

Best tasting water and coffee I've had.

http://www.zerowater.com/
kupokoffee

Postby jeff1014 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I respectfully ask...what will affect the taste of a cup of coffee more, a small amount of chlorine or algae growing in the tank? I just thought of another solution...perhaps phoofy should go to his local tropical fish store and get some algae eaters. :wink: :lol:
Bunn My Cafe-Tassimo-Cuisinart SS-1
Keurig B 60 (retired)
Senseo (the $15 one)
all above destroyed by lightning except the Senseo and replaced with
New Tassimo, new Bunn MC-1 new Keurig VUE v600
Coffee Preference=Black, strong,rich & smooth
jeff1014

Postby phoofy » Fri May 23, 2008 5:25 pm

:shock:

(Reminds me of an old Twin Peaks episode where Pete found fish in the percolator.)

Thanks for the all the suggestions! I do try to keep the Keurig out of direct sunlight, but sometimes my husband forgets to push the machine back so the tank occasionally gets some sun. The Brita filter doesn't remove chlorine, but "reduces" it, as well as reduce water hardness. (I don't know how hard our tap is to begin with.)

I just tried cleaning out the green stuff with one of the small brushes that came with our baby bottles. I probably could have tried a pipe cleaner too, but reaching all those nooks and crannies is just annoying.
phoofy

Postby kupokoffee » Fri May 23, 2008 6:30 pm

Maybe discconnect the blue light? :shock: :o
kupokoffee

Postby DaveF » Sat May 24, 2008 6:36 am

The water tank is labled as dishwasher safe on the B70. How has that worked out? Might solve the problem.
DaveF

Postby VydorScope » Sat May 24, 2008 6:45 am

DaveF wrote:The water tank is labled as dishwasher safe on the B70. How has that worked out? Might solve the problem.

yes that should be step one. You need to kill whats in, and scrub brush not going to do it. If that does not work, then try the bleach as coffeewhiz suggest, but I would probably do a stronger mixture.

I have not had this problem in any of my machines. At home I use tap water, and my machine gets sunlight all day. At work I use water from the water cooler, but I do not have any sun in my windowless office.

BTW - Chlorine in standing water is not a problem, it evaporates out pretty quickly. Thats why pool owners have to keep adding more.
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby VydorScope » Sat May 24, 2008 8:38 am

Also, since you are having this problem it might be solvable by putting the water tank in the dishwasher onces a week or something. Just a thought...
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Next

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines