Sign up for the Single Serve Coffee mailing list and be eligible to win prizes given away to mailing list members.

Algae or mold problem in Keurig

OPOD, Bunn My Cafe, Senseo, Home Cafe, Keurig, Melitta One:One

Moderators: jbviau, NDJollyMon

Postby prescott » Tue May 27, 2008 3:23 pm

(Normal wash and heated dry?)

Yes, I wash it on normal and have it on heated dry. No problems in 9 months. Now that I said that, it will probably fall apart next month.
prescott

Postby NDJollyMon » Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 pm

Wow...I have 4 Keurig machines...and have never had algae. What the heck? I must be doing something right...for a change. :?
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Behmor 1600 Coffee Roaster
Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby sweaner » Tue May 27, 2008 11:01 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:Wow...I have 4 Keurig machines...and have never had algae. What the heck? I must be doing something right...for a change. :?

Not even algae wants to live in North Dakota! :wink:
Scott

Bunn Trifecta MB
Bunn My Cafe
Clever Coffee Dripper
Keurig B60
Quickmill Vetrano- A Beast!
Invention: "The Podster"
sweaner

Postby phoofy » Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 am

Then algae must love southern California! :?

So I was about to throw the tank in the dishwasher tonight, but after inspecting it ... the green stuff is gone! All I've done was do a vinegar cycle, scrub out as much as I could using the bottle brush with hot soapy water, and refill using filtered water (I decided to replace the filter in my Brita pitcher even though it wasn't technically due for a change).

I'm sure there's still stuff there that I can't see though, but I'm gonna wait and see before running it through the wash. I'm paranoid about melting the tank (though I guess that would be a good reason to go out and buy a totally new machine).
Breville BKC700XL
Cuisinart Grind and Brew
Bodum Chambord, 32oz
Bodum Shin Bistro, 17oz
phoofy

Postby NDJollyMon » Thu May 29, 2008 5:07 pm

sweaner wrote:
NDJollyMon wrote:Wow...I have 4 Keurig machines...and have never had algae. What the heck? I must be doing something right...for a change. :?

I think you are on to something! :lol:
I think it's too cold for algae.
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Justbcaws » Fri May 30, 2008 10:11 am

sweaner wrote:

And can you blame it? :D

So do you leave yours on?
Justbcaws

Postby NDJollyMon » Sat May 31, 2008 8:35 pm

I set all mine for 3 hours. They kick off by themselves. (except the B130...which is always off unless brewing)
Pete (Jolly Mon) -
Forum Moderator
Aeropress
Bodum French Press
NDJollyMon

Postby Justbcaws » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:18 pm

LOL, I've never even set the clock for mine.
Justbcaws

Postby Alice2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:14 am

NDJollyMon wrote:I set all mine for 3 hours. They kick off by themselves. (except the B130...which is always off unless brewing)

You have a B130 already?
KitchenAid Single-- Keurig B30 red-- Keurig B30 black (non-leaking version)-- KitchenAid Compact 4-Cupper ('cute lil' red coffeemaker)-- Mr. Coffee Drip (don't ask why, it just is.) I nailed a re-tread to my feet and I prayed for better weather
Alice2

Postby VydorScope » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:07 pm

So what was the result of this? Green stuff beat?
Vincent
http://losttalesofpower.com
My scifi/fantasy novels on can be found on Smashwords, Amazon and every where fine ebooks are sold!
----------------------------------
Active: Kuerig B60, Toddy, Bunn MCP, DeLonghi EC140B
VydorScope

Postby phoofy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:13 pm

VydorScope wrote:So what was the result of this? Green stuff beat?

For now, yes! After scrubbing and flushing, the green stuff has yet to come back.

*crossing fingers*

Though if that SS-1 is on sale at Williams-Sonoma ...
Breville BKC700XL
Cuisinart Grind and Brew
Bodum Chambord, 32oz
Bodum Shin Bistro, 17oz
phoofy

Algae -- or not

Postby danniebellie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi. Are you sure it's algae? Certain water supplies (especially wells) have minerals that can leave green-colored residue. Also, if your water is acidic, it can erode copper in your pipes, which then gets into your water. When the water sits in that plastic container, even for a very short while, the copper deposits on the surface of the container. Filtering your water, especially with just a Brita, does not necessarily remove copper (or other offending minerals). Also, ironically (considering many of the previous suggestions), the residue may actually be a buildup of chlorine.

If it's a mineral residue, here are two solutions:
(1) Cleaning the water reservoir with a textured brush or sponge. You'll have to do it over and over again, but it's free.
(2) Use highly filtered water. There is no need to have chlorine in water that's well-filtered! If it's filtered adequately, there's nothing in there to grow, hence nothing necessary for the chlorine to "kill"! My suggestion is the GE SmartWater filter system with the FXULC or FXUVC filter. I use the FXULC and, while copper is not specifically noted on the specs for this filter, it definitely clears the copper out of my water -- before installing this, I had to clean green stuff out of my Keurig reservoir at least once a week. Now I never see it. A far pricier (and less environmentally friendly) option is to use well-filtered bottled water, such as Poland Springs.

Or maybe it is algae. In which case, it sounds like lots of other people have offered tons of great advice!
danniebellie

Re: Algae or mold problem in Keurig

Postby LoveCoffeeInUtah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 pm

I have research the issue and found this to be the cause of the Algae in the water tank on the Keurig, first Algae needs a couple of things to grow, light and heat, the Keurig provides both from the LED's below the water tank.

First I took off my tank filled it with water and added a small capful of bleach and let it sit for 30min.
Next I took the tank and place it in my dishwasher, after completed I put the tank back on my coffee maker and filled it.

The next steps will prevent the algae growth in the future:

1. I turned off the auto on and off feature of the coffee maker.

2. Set the coffee maker to auto shut off at the lowest setting 1 hour.

3. I only turn the unit on when I am going to make coffee and turn it off when I am done, if I forget to it will after 1 hour.

I have gone several of months now without any more algae growing in my tank, the LED's seem to be the issue, Keurig could easily fix this problem by removing the two LED's from the tank bottom.
LoveCoffeeInUtah

Postby LoveCoffeeInUtah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm

LoveCoffeeInUtah wrote:I have research the issue and found this to be the cause of the Algae in the water tank on the Keurig, first Algae needs a couple of things to grow, light and heat, the Keurig provides both from the LED's below the water tank.

First I took off my tank filled it with water and added a small capful of bleach and let it sit for 30min.
Next I took the tank and place it in my dishwasher, after completed I put the tank back on my coffee maker and filled it.

The next steps will prevent the algae growth in the future:

1. I turned off the auto on and off feature of the coffee maker.

2. Set the coffee maker to auto shut off at the lowest setting 1 hour.

3. I only turn the unit on when I am going to make coffee and turn it off when I am done, if I forget to it will after 1 hour.

I have gone several of months now without any more algae growing in my tank, the LED's seem to be the issue, Keurig could easily fix this problem by removing the two LED's from the tank bottom.

I have the B77/B70 model
LoveCoffeeInUtah

Postby jbviau » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Welcome. What city in UT did you have the algae problem in? Your water could be partly to blame too. Ack, I sound like a Keurig customer service rep!
Josh - Forum Moderator
----------------------------
Bunn Trifecta MB, Nespresso D90, Baratza Preciso and OE LIDO(s), and that's just what's on the counter...
Josh's Pod Guide, K-cup Line-up, and Nespresso Encapsulation
jbviau

PreviousNext

Return to Single Serve Coffee Machines